SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Program towbar

8K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  mamba42 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently fitted a towbar under my V60 (MY2015), unfortunately I have to wait quite a while before I can go to the dealer as there was a fire recently. I did see the the option in vdash to enable the towbar but it was quite expensive, does someone know if this option also includes the software? In other words, can the towbar electrics be used after enable this option or do I still need to go to the dealer to finish it? I'm a bit new with the volvo's :). I used to the Ford software where you can download all the software for free :)

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
In order to connect your towbar harness, you need to have the towing module installed. It's this module that is activated and configured by the software upgrade.
The module can be configured for 4, 7 or 13pin harness depending on the software part number (or through VDASH). The towing module needs to be physically installed and wired in the trunk area.

Have a look at the Volvo accessories website for instructions and part numbers.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I already installed the module (new 13-pin from Volov) to the car's wiring harness. I know that it needs sofware, so I was wondering if enabling in Vdash also loads the software, I would assume it if I look at the price but I can't find it in the documentation.

If I look with the DICE and the offline vida I don't see the TRM module, probably because of the software which needs to be loaded first.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply, I already installed the module (new 13-pin from Volov) to the car's wiring harness. I know that it needs sofware, so I was wondering if enabling in Vdash also loads the software, I would assume it if I look at the price but I can't find it in the documentation.

If I look with the DICE and the offline vida I don't see the TRM module, probably because of the software which needs to be loaded first.
Did you get a replacement of the TRM module or a brand new one?

I noticed with using a replacement PSM module (power seats) I still need to visit the dealer for a software reload. As the module is still matched with the previous vehicle.

#6 ·
Tried is with Vdash with no luck, the function doesn't work and only gives errors in the instrument panel, I have to go to the dealer for the software update which is cheaper then Vdash, only the wait time is longer.

The TRM module was brand new, so without software.

#8 ·
Tried is with Vdash with no luck, the function doesn't work and only gives errors in the instrument panel, I have to go to the dealer for the software update which is cheaper then Vdash, only the wait time is longer.

The TRM module was brand new, so without software.
VDASH probably only told / configured your CEM to let know the TRM module is now part of the car configuration as enabled. CEM expects the module to communicate, which is not happening hence the errors. TRM indeed requires the software too.
Same as happened to me with the PSM module.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

#7 ·
Is there any advantage to getting the tow software instead of just wiring in a connector like from eTrailer? I did that for my XC60 and it works fine. I only use it for the lights of course. I guess the advantage might be using trailer brakes for the Volvo software?

#9 ·
the factory software activates Trailer Stability Assist (TSA)

TSA is activated automatically upon installation of the trailer module.

The purpose of TSA is to stabilize undamped self-oscillations, which can occur when driving with a trailer. TSA works together with the car's DSTC (Dynamic Stability and Traction Control) system, and stabilization is achieved by braking one or more of the car's wheels and reducing engine torque.

from: https://www.myvolvoparts.com/Genuin...ing-Harness-S80-V60-V70-XC60-XC70_p_3286.html

#13 ·
Any independent garage specialized in Volvo with a VIDA membership can do software updates/changes.
VDASH also makes it possible to retrofit the trailer module.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.