Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

XC90 2022 EV and L4 autonomous driving

Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

XC90 2022 EV and L4 autonomous driving

Do you think it will be sold in the United States in 2022? And do you think it will be available in an R design? And how about air suspension? And would it be crazy for a person to buy something and it’s very first year? I’m not getting any younger.

Nora in Florida
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedHair View Post
      Do you think it will be sold in the United States in 2022? And do you think it will be available in an R design? And how about air suspension? And would it be crazy for a person to buy something and it’s very first year? I’m not getting any younger.

Nora in Florida
      Details are speculation, a lot of talk, and nothing else. No one can get to more specifics until mfgr marketing begins providing more detail, spy shots and reviews become available, and even then when it comes to things like trim, colors and options, there could always be country variation that’s not finalized until closer to initial order time a long time from now.

If I still had 2 cars in my garage, I’d answer differently — but with my now being reliant on just 1 car for all my transportation including being able to GO if I ever get one of those emergency calls from a more elder family member, I personally would never buy significant new powertrain technology or design in it’s first MY. As discussed elsewhere, it’s about one’s risk tolerance for problems that may or may not occur beyond your personal control. The reality is given how complex most automobiles are, there are almost always more issues in the beginning that get corrected as more units get into the field, allowing tweaks to then be made to the design and at the factory before later units are shipped. If you love being first, and can put up with some amount of additional reliability hits to your life and maybe more service appts to resolve them, no problem going for it. I have done that a couple of times myself when I maintained 2 cars, and it was a lot of fun, but I won’t do it again while I am reliant on just one.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by OlRedHair View Post

Nora in Florida
      Since it is "due in showrooms in 2022" for UK, and shipped from US factory, so I certainly think it will be at US dealer by late 2022, maybe as MY2023.
      The exterior will be evolutionary, so R-Design style will be offered if no surprise. Air suspension also is a must option for luxury car.

It is not really fresh new first year, as power train will be very similar to current SPA XC90, eg, B5/B6/T8, and EV will be similar (just more powerful) to XC40 EV.
      Android Sensus will be similar to XC40 EV too.

Only the L4 autonomous driving (if you want it) is completely new. But old style PA will still be available I believe, because L4 is quite expensive option ($5k-$10k).

If you don't want to purchase, you can still lease, or subscribe by Car by Volvo.

Thank you so much Fusion Red. I have a lot to think about. I never considered leasing. I have always purchased cars. Not very many. At age 70 I have only owned three along with my truck that I’ve had forever.

Nora in Florida
      Nora in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by FusionRedXC60 View Post
      Air suspension also is a must option for luxury car.
      It`s great until something goes expensively wrong and it will

Quote Originally Posted by Thommykent View Post
      It`s great until something goes expensively wrong and it will
      That's why it is called a luxury option.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Volvo announced there new plant in the USA will be used for battery production to support EV XC90.

Given the history of 16 XC90 T8s, i would be hesitant as well. However, BEVs are less complicated than hybrids, i believe, so therefore maybe it would have less "growing pains" ...? Opinions...?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith22 View Post
      Volvo announced there new plant in the USA will be used for battery production to support EV XC90.

Given the history of 16 XC90 T8s, i would be hesitant as well. However, BEVs are less complicated than hybrids, i believe, so therefore maybe it would have less "growing pains" ...? Opinions...?
      First EV is XC40. The power train on XC90 EV or T8 in 2022 is not new at all.
      Only the L4 autonomous driving is fresh new.

First EV is XC40. The power train on XC90 EV or T8 in 2022 is not new at all.
      Only the L4 autonomous driving is fresh new.
      Ah...that's good to know. Building and improving on existing platforms. Thats pretty much how Toyota has achieved such high reliability vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith22 View Post
      Ah...that's good to know. Building and improving on existing platforms. Thats pretty much how Toyota has achieved such high reliability vehicles.
      I agree, especially having been someone that had one of the first Lexus RX hybrids in the US back in 2005, was really happy with it and it’s successor in nearly every way, and have driven premium hybrids/BEV ever since.

I do though also believe with Volvo’s relatively small volume and years working with hybrid/BEV technology, they have room to grow. While fanboys or younger folks may not agree with me, which is fine , having spent a career in hardware/software sales & tech support, I firmly believe that a company’s longer-term experience with higher delivered volumes of similar products and technology, play a huge part in refinements that make their way into a company’s future product design, serviceability, and corporate policy — which hopefully result in improved reliability, price/performance, and customer sat of future products.

IOW, Volvo is doing great and all the right things, but they are relatively new to the hybrid and BEV game, and at least for me as a very happy 3-week old XC60 T8 owner, I would still not yet trust reliability/serviceability of the next Volvo hybrid/BEV generation (especially first MY) based on what has been delivered in the past handful of years, as much as I would say a Toyota/Lexus of similar tech with their 15+ doing the same. More recent big-name auto mfgrs to the game, that are only now bringing their first BEV into the market, create lots of marketing splash, but give me even more pause for similar reasons — no matter who they are and what their past general reputation may be. From my POV, brand names, marketing hype, and promises are one thing — demonstrated practical experience and longer-term reliability trends with similar tech and service are another. That’s just me given personal experience with corporate computer systems and support, seeing and dealing with frontline customer problems and internal hardware/software development teams for 30+ years. I’m not trying to stir the pot here or suggest the future Volvo hybrid/BEV won’t be reliable — I’m just saying that for me, an individual mfgr that has a longer-term reliability and service trend with similar technology, makes a huge difference in how I assess what reliability *may* be with a new product I consider from them. A new product from the same company that is founded on the last generation is good, but if both have not been in existence for very long, and with larger volumes to establish a reasonable reliability trend, I have to think about it a little more given my owning a single vehicle and risk tolerance if it should fail when I need transportation the most. Everyone’s decision points and choices will be different, which is great.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

New “Thor’s Hammer” headlights look awesome. Good job! Hopefully we’ll see some more exciting colors but I’m not holding my breath.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

So as not to confuse anyone, AutoExpress even wrote the picture is their rendering of what the MY2022 Volvo will look like, hence "our exclusive image" - and not a leaked photo.And L4 ain't happening for MY2022 (or anytime soon) for nobody cause LiDAR is nowhere close to production nor car integration, no one has regulations for L4, the infrastructure doesn't support L4 yet, and even if all the pieces were in-place, current consumer polling shows low L4 acceptance in the USA. Like the recent LiDAR bubble, the L4 hype will hopefully soon die down and folks can stop wasting marketing money and overinvesting in vaporware.
      Last edited by likeXC90; 01-24-2020 at 10:41 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Oh... bummer
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      So as not to confuse anyone, AutoExpress even wrote the picture is their rendering of what the MY2022 Volvo will look like, hence "our exclusive image" - and not a leaked photo.And L4 ain't happening for MY2022 (or anytime soon) for nobody cause LiDAR is nowhere close to production nor car integration, no one has regulations for L4, the infrastructure doesn't support L4 yet, and even if all the pieces were in-place, current consumer polling shows low L4 acceptance in the USA. Like the recent LiDAR bubble, the L4 hype will hopefully soon die down and folks can stop wasting marketing money and overinvesting in vaporware.
      You never know... Luminar LiDAR at least is kind of ready for production. Integration and software need more time. I don't doubt there are some testing cars running in Gothenburg.

Of course cost vs demand is the key. If it is a $10k option, I can see not many people would buy it. $5k is much more attractive.

You never know...
      haha, I know you and I both have differing opinions on this which is fine
      From my R&D engineering experience and first-hand consistently-disappointing experience dealing with these very automotive vaporware, I mean, marketing departments, "I'll believe it when I see it". All this funding is enriching something and it's definitely not the product!
      Last edited by likeXC90; 01-25-2020 at 07:47 AM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

That is a current XC90 with the XC60 lights.

I fully agree we are not close to L4 anytime soon. Volvo doesn't have the telemetry to make it feasible and there are questions about the technology required. It will happen, but I don't think in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by carz View Post
      That is a current XC90 with the XC60 lights.

I fully agree we are not close to L4 anytime soon. Volvo doesn't have the telemetry to make it feasible and there are questions about the technology required. It will happen, but I don't think in a couple of years.
      Technology comes true before you realize it.

In actuality an all electric version of the XC90 will be less complex than the current XC90 T8 where you have both an electric car and an ICE driven car. Making the two system work smoothly is a real challenge that will not be an issue when they have the all electric. The center of gravity will be lower as more of the battery will be in the frame/floor of the vehicle. The size will be interesting. What also will be the range of the car? 300 miles seems to be the point where folks are not range frightened. However, charging a large battery is also something to think about. As long as I could make it home between charges then our home could refuel the car. Just before we turned in our Chevy Bolt EV I was lamenting about how slow some of the DC chargers are out on the road. Tesla has the right kind of system for charging cars away from home. Infrastructure is a key issue here.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements