Explanation of Volvo models
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Explanation of Volvo models

Not being near a Volvo dealership I am looking to upgrade from my 2017 XC60T5 to a XC90. There are many variations in Models as Momentum T5,T6,& T8 as well as Inscription and R Design. Another items is that I can't seem to find a vehicle now with a complete tan interior. They have a variation of tan & Charcoal or basic Charcoal. The XC 60 that I have now is Charcoal and I actually hate it as it is impossible to keep clean. I have has two S60 in the past couple years both of with had a tan interior. Maybe some one can enlighten me on the model variations. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

T5, T6, T8 are powertrains. T5=Turbocharged. T6=Turborcharged+Supercharged. T8=Turbocharged+Supercharged+PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid).

R-Design is the sportier trim level. Momentum is the standard “luxury” trim level. Inscription is the highest “luxury” trim level. Each trim level has different color combos, varying body and/or chrome appointments on the exterior, and variations on the interior. Different trim levels also bring with them some different features or options — some that are available individually, others only with the package.

If you don’t like Charcoal (Black) interior, but prefer tan, look at today’s Amber — to me, it’s a litte brighter or gold than what I’d call tan, but your view may be different. If you prefer an even lighter interior, Blonde (what I have) is off-white. Depending on the trim level and seat color you select, you’ll also find the headliner may go from charcoal to blonde — e.g. with Inscription and Blonde interior on my XC60 T8, I have a blonde headliner, so the whole interior is much brighter, with only dash, limited surrounding interior trim, and floor carpets being Charcoal which is perfect for my esthetic.

My suggestion is, just spend time with the online XC90 configurator. Put in each combination of T5, T6, T8 based on the powertrain you are interested in, then try R-Design vs Momentum vs Inscription and look at the color options (there are pictures based on what you select) and features that become standard or are optional with each combination. IMO, there is really no better way to see the variations. Have fun and good luck with your pursuit.
      Last edited by BertL; 01-25-2020 at 10:16 AM.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by redoverfarm View Post
      Not being near a Volvo dealership I am looking to upgrade from my 2017 XC60T5 to a XC90. There are many variations in Models as Momentum T5,T6,& T8 as well as Inscription and R Design. Another items is that I can't seem to find a vehicle now with a complete tan interior. They have a variation of tan & Charcoal or basic Charcoal. The XC 60 that I have now is Charcoal and I actually hate it as it is impossible to keep clean. I have has two S60 in the past couple years both of with had a tan interior. Maybe some one can enlighten me on the model variations. Thanks
      I don't think that they have anything but charcoal carpet and other interior trim available now, at least not in the US. I've seen video reviews of them from a couple of years ago that showed the blond with blond carpet but it doesn't seem to be an option now. Pity. OTOH, the dark dash is better than the light one, which can reflect on the inside of the windshield to the point where some things outside are almost completely hidden.

We were wondering about the Amber upholstery but when we saw in person we came away with the same take as BertL - it's more golden than tan and just too much for our tastes. So we're sticking with the blond that's similar to what we've had in our V70 for almost 19 years.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

A quick note on the T6 and T8. Although supercharged, the supercharger isn’t set up in the traditional method where it sends charged air into the cylinders.

Instead, the supercharger is used to blow into the turbo and spool it up faster. After a certain RPM is reached the supercharger disconnects leaving the larger turbo to do the work almost like the sequential turbo systems of the 80s and 90s.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements