Tinkerbell - A Sonic Blue VR Story
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tinkerbell - A Sonic Blue VR Story

Pages 1-3 - Julien's VR is getting a spaceball
      Pages >=4 - bigern79 buys the car - Jump to bigern79

After a brief hiatus, I'm back to the P2r world! I've had a couple distractions since my s60r, and may have even sworn to myself that I would never buy another... but as they say "never say never"

I had spotted this 2006 v70r during a boredom-driven craigslist marathon. Since my last "R" I have kept a loose eye on all p2r cars in the bay area. Ad read "mechanic's special" needs transmission. On a rainy Sunday afternoon I setup a time to check out the car about an hour north of San Francisco. The car looked pretty but had some battle scars. I took it for a drive in the wet and noticed pretty quickly the AWD system didn't work, there was a "4C" Suspension error message, a rear clunk over bumps, paint peeling on the hood and some large dents. The seller was a lady who'd bough the car when it was a year-ish old and had her son (a Subaru tech) maintain the car for most of it's life. Seemed like the motor was in reasonable shape as it pulled well during our test drive. Parked her in a dry garage and made a deal with the seller.

The seller and I kept in contact as we worked out logistics and I went to go pick up the car a few days later.

At this point her son had warned me the car had left his mom stranded and to take precautions. I decided to ask a buddy to come up with me with his truck and trailer (although trailer had an e30 parked on it.. we banked that one of the two cars could make it back - lol) Low and behold the car drove great! Even the 4c error was gone. O.M.G. what deal I thought to myself as I drove across the golden gate bridge during sunset.

I spoke (thought?) too soon.

As I hit traffic entering SF the car starts to shift hard and eventually stalls. DOH! I pull out the code reader and see the transmission is having trouble unlocking itself. I manage to limp the car a little further by manually shifting the TF-80sc and end up at my friend's house in Half Moon Bay.

Once there I show the car to my buddy Frank, who I had met a year prior as he commented on my street parked s60r as he was walking by (Ie true car nerds). I let him drive it for a while and really enjoy the beauty of the scenery. Car is shifting reasonably well in manual shift mode but 4c error came back.

(he's got a manual Volvo 245, can't you tell?)

Anyways, I get the car home and think of a name. I mainly bought this car out of boredom. I wanted something to tinker with. "She is quite the looker" I thought to myself.

Meet Tinker Belle!

First thing when I get home is to check the mail for my DICE and get the VIDA image loaded back up onto my mac. Looks like 4c is caused by front left shock, now trans codes(!) and no engine codes (!!).
      Last edited by R-Pow3R3d; 05-27-2020 at 11:15 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

First night of wrenching was replace the front left shock and also install two front bumpstops. Seller had actually replaced the 4c about 80k miles prior and had kept the shocks. With the car having 170k, the old shocks had roughly the same mileage as the ones on the car. I played with both shafts and installed the best one.

Here she is in her natural environment:

Next was to fix the A-pillars with some double sided tape;

(I asked the neighbor for help, I'm not good at these things)

What happened next was a some great news mixed with some worry! Early Saturday morning I got a text from craigslist to buy my lovely little Abarth. I had kicked around the idea of selling this bugger after owning it for 1 year (and clocking over 22k miles!) As happy as I was that the car was going to a new enthusiast owner, I now had to rely on a P2R with questionable transmission to get me to work every day (30 miles each way)

(good bye pic, yes I teared up)

Luckily for me, I had placed a deposit on a complete m66 swap from a guy down in San Diego. He even got it all delivered to me in a beautiful Flash-cama R!!

No time to swap though, I had to move first!

(that week was also my birthday, busy busy!)

Here it is! I had just two days to install this since we have a shared lift where I wrench and there are time restrictions.

I had the lift booked for two days but snuck in the night before to get started on pedals:

(ultra-rare three pedal auto)
      Pedals are easy, just disconnect steering linkage below dash and remove cluster. Having a friend pull forward on the brake booster as you swap pedals gives you more clearance.

Next day I started pulling her old guts out:

Get the two support bars to ready the subframe to be lowered:

And.. out she comes:

The great thing about this swap "kit" is that it came from a car that was rear ended shortly after getting a clutch, flywheel and (hardened) sleeve.

(clutch on - already reset)

Started the accession of the m66 (cue music)

Couldn't quite get the trans to mate and I was broken. Problem for maŮana.

The next morning I figure the trans wasn't quite clocked right and needed to be tilted over a bit or the CPS to fit into it's little slot:

(the p2r is a "well supported platform") #dadjoke

Installing the clutch pedal hydraulics and shifter cables

A couple hours later (including new motor mounts, a pressure washed subframe and some serious , she fired up! )

(not sure this video works, try this worse case -> https://imgur.com/XnIcK49)

To get my car to start, we pulled the TCM off the trans, turned the keyway to neutral and plugged it in. 1k miles later, I'm still driving like this lol)

SPACEBALL!

That night I drove tinker belle home!
      https://imgur.com/kmERPgF

and bought a sticker

I don't remember going to bed. I made it through my door and sleep walked into bed - 20 hours of labor over 2 1/2 days, swap was (mostly) done

Scored some 18 pegs as present to myself:

Flashcama R now rocking my 17s:

And on the way home :

(linky https://imgur.com/J49FTYP)

Axle bolt got loose. When I tried to tighten in on the side of the road, it snapped.

Selfie

Passed another broken p2

That night I got the car towed to the shop, yanked out the axle, easy-out the bolt, reinstalled it and shoved some Gold Rush Hazy IPA down my throat to make it all better.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Now that the car is reliable (well.. P2 reliable) I wanted to address creature comforts like the radio. It would work... sometimes.

After reflowing the board it worked none of the times

I fixed that by buying a carplay unit that I really like, the Sony Ax200. I chose this model for it's 4volt RCAs. Also installed a boost gauge.

Continuing on my "spend my money like it belongs to someone else" trend, I bought a do88 intercooler off Viva. Unfortunately it showed up repackaged and dinged. A few emails to Viva and we got it all sorted I went do88 (for the second time!) because it looks stock enough for smog and works very well.

After work I quickly headed to the shop, got some time on the lift and stuck the intercooler in.

That brings us to now-ish. I listed the tired tf-80sc on FB and a local volvo tech wanted it. We ended up working a deal out that really really made me happy.

He got this:

I got this (after adding some $):

No more valet key for me!!

Last night, I got the clutch pedal sensor wired in to the ECM:

and today I wired in the center channel of the radio and the backlight for the boost gauge:

and a wonderful cat I fed tonight:

Now I'm waiting on a box from FCP with plugs, filters and fluids before calling on Gustav (Contrast) to tune her.
      Last edited by Julien; 01-26-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Siiiiick, who are you getting to do the tune for the manual swap?

Seeing this makes me regret putting another AW55 in my lowered XC70 instead of the M66 I have sitting in my garage. I just didn't have the funds to get the ECM remapped at the time. I might just have to take that back apart to do this.

I've got that same head unit!
      Last edited by LukeFlynn; 01-26-2020 at 12:35 AM.
      '04 XC70 | Silver Metallic/Nordkap 220K | Shimmed B5254T2 | K24 | M66 w/ SPEC single mass | EST Sport catback | Elevate sways | BC Coilovers | Hilton Stage 3 Tune
      '13 C30 T5M | Black Stone/Black | 135K | Stock

Past - 09 S40 2.4I, 04 S60R M66
      Instagram - @boostedxc

Quote Originally Posted by LukeFlynn View Post
      Siiiiick, who are you getting to do the tune for the manual swap?

Seeing this makes me regret putting another AW55 in my lowered XC70 instead of the M66 I have sitting in my garage. I just didn't have the funds to get the ECM remapped at the time. I might just have to take that back apart to do this.

I've got that same head unit!
      Going with Contrast
      Last edited by Julien; 01-26-2020 at 12:44 AM.

Sweet, just saw that after hitting send on my reply, my bad
      '04 XC70 | Silver Metallic/Nordkap 220K | Shimmed B5254T2 | K24 | M66 w/ SPEC single mass | EST Sport catback | Elevate sways | BC Coilovers | Hilton Stage 3 Tune

Instagram - @boostedxc

You can just make the CEM think it's a manual car with V-Dash...https://d5t5.com/
      That's what Ben at Rolling Motors does for manual swaps, makes the car a stock manual essentially
      Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

Quote Originally Posted by tabormeister View Post
      You can just make the CEM think it's a manual car with V-Dash...https://d5t5.com/
      That's what Ben at Rolling Motors does for manual swaps, makes the car a stock manual essentially
      omggggg

Quote Originally Posted by Julien View Post
      omggggg
      Good omg? Haha you have to find someone who can do it but then you don't need any tunes or anything. Ben is a great resource, and I think there are some vdash dealers out your way too

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

Good omg? Haha you have to find someone who can do it but then you don't need any tunes or anything. Ben is a great resource, and I think there are some vdash dealers out your way too

I take it that you would need the verified dealer version of VDASH to use this feature?

Instagram - @boostedxc

Quote Originally Posted by LukeFlynn View Post
      I take it that you would need the verified dealer version of VDASH to use this feature?
      I talked to one of the dudes who runs the company a while back before I had the parts I needed and he said he could remote into a Vida laptop (active current subscription, not 2014d) and do it for me but I haven't heard back from him in a bit. I have a call in with Ben cause he's more local than the UK and he uses it according to him the program is also called Elk.

Great story and a lot of effort. I saw that car in CL and saw hoping someone would save it.

See you in the roads of the Bay Area.

Iíve just read this and Iím incredibly jealous of a few things:
      Your smile as your car is behind you on a flat bed (would not be my immediate reaction or thought- hey Iíll do a selfie!)
      Your 18s (but hey- Cali)
      Your friends who can help and have interest (my local buddies are office dudes, as am I)
      Your knowledge and ability to make this happen (Iím oil change and brakes and simple maint guy)
      Your access to a lift (I was getting there and my Indy who was moving and getting a new multi bay/lift shop that Iíd be able to use got sick and may have died- heís not been to his original shop for two years now). I think about all the parts and tools he has that are Volvo specific. ☹️
      This thread is inspiring and keeps me hopeful that I could one day make my VR a manual (but pay someone)
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
      Your smile as your car is behind you on a flat bed (would not be my immediate reaction or thought- hey Iíll do a selfie!)
      Your 18s (but hey- Cali)
      Your friends who can help and have interest (my local buddies are office dudes, as am I)
      Your knowledge and ability to make this happen (Iím oil change and brakes and simple maint guy)
      Your access to a lift (I was getting there and my Indy who was moving and getting a new multi bay/lift shop that Iíd be able to use got sick and may have died- heís not been to his original shop for two years now). I think about all the parts and tools he has that are Volvo specific.
      This thread is inspiring and keeps me hopeful that I could one day make my VR a manual (but pay someone)
      That's the dream

Z, manual swap isn't too Spendy, when my auto died, it was 1000.00 extra to swap instead of a new auto, so now I have a manual instead. I probably would have never swapped if the slush box would have kept on churning though

Julien's VR is getting spaceball'd

I can dig that. The problem is having the RIGHT people swap. I have no show car but do like things done correctly with no guesswork. That would mean a place like Benís but that is too far to travel if the trans is acting up and i can not fathom sending it on a flatbed as that would be A. Scary; B. Costly and take funds from the work; C. Mean Iíd have to travel to get it there and back. Knocking on wood that mine lasts a good long time...
      Quote Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
      Z, manual swap isn't too Spendy, when my auto died, it was 1000.00 extra to swap instead of a new auto, so now I have a manual instead. I probably would have never swapped if the slush box would have kept on churning though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

great omg! thanks!!

Your 18s (but hey- Cali)
      Your access to a lift (I was getting there and my Indy who was moving and getting a new multi bay/lift shop that Iíd be able to use got sick and may have died- heís not been to his original shop for two years now). I think about all the parts and tools he has that are Volvo specific. ☹️
      Thanks! It's all due to resources like this forum and the wonderful P2R community that i've been able to do all this Keep trucking away, you'll get good at the tech bits!

Quote Originally Posted by janik_kaspar View Post
      Great story and a lot of effort. I saw that car in CL and saw hoping someone would save it.

See you in the roads of the Bay Area.
      I broke down in oakland (off the 13). I'm in east bay everyday for work (Castro Valley)

Looks awesome, you drove past my old stomping grounds in Novato, there's another member with a blue V70R around there.
      04 V70R, 05 M3, 92 Stealth TT, 94 Stealth TT soon to be single T

Excellent read. Iím very happy for you and your m66.

On my search to R ownership, the amount of very nice cars I had to pass up was ridiculous. Some of them had a service history record that made me second guess my decision to pass on it. In the end, I took a gamble on a m66 and could not be happier. These cars are not the same in auto

No car is. Iíd have preferred manual but my automatic is ok. No complaints yet.
      Quote Originally Posted by Deathangel View Post
      Excellent read. Iím very happy for you and your m66.

On my search to R ownership, the amount of very nice cars I had to pass up was ridiculous. Some of them had a service history record that made me second guess my decision to pass on it. In the end, I took a gamble on a m66 and could not be happier. These cars are not the same in auto

I can dig that. The problem is having the RIGHT people swap. I have no show car but do like things done correctly with no guesswork. That would mean a place like Benís but that is too far to travel if the trans is acting up and i can not fathom sending it on a flatbed as that would be A. Scary; B. Costly and take funds from the work; C. Mean Iíd have to travel to get it there and back. Knocking on wood that mine lasts a good long time...

Chilledman can do your swap and he's closer.

Hey I'm no FN office dude!
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 152k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 53K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 82k

That was a great read. I was really hoping you'd straighten out those headlight wipers - that was really bothering me.

What tape did you use for the A-pillar covers? Mine are peeling and 3M upholstery adhesive didn't work, so I need to try something else.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi
      Original owner

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix R View Post
      That was a great read. I was really hoping you'd straighten out those headlight wipers - that was really bothering me.

What tape did you use for the A-pillar covers? Mine are peeling and 3M upholstery adhesive didn't work, so I need to try something else.
      You talking the 3M spray? Iím doing mine tomorrow with tgat

2008 C30 R-Design MT Black
      2007 V70R GT Ti Grey Nordkap

Get a plastic grey set from a junkyard 01-04 s60, same color and look but they'll never peel again!

That 575M though.
      2007 V70R GT Electric Silver/Nordkap
      2005 XC70 It's got HIDs yo.
      2006 S60R Black Sapphire M66 - Resurrected from the dead and sold

Psh what am I chopped Liver? Ive done 6x more manual swaps then anyone else lol. sheeeeet I was the first one to do a P2 Globally
      /2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/Pegs/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPD Endlinks/
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ/IPD CatBack/Coilovers/EvolveDP/
      /2005 V70XC -/Pegs/HID/LED Tailights/Kenwood/Tintz yo/No R bumper/
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      (Sh!t, did I just agree with Chilled Man?) .

Get a plastic grey set from a junkyard 01-04 s60, same color and look but they'll never peel again!

Pshh but it wouldnít have the microfiber feel... we need all the R feels to validate our lil wee

No chopped liver. I'd forgotten about the new warehouse.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
      Psh what am I chopped Liver? Ive done 6x more manual swaps then anyone else lol. sheeeeet I was the first one to do a P2 Globally

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      Pshh but it wouldnít have the microfiber feel... we need all the R feels to validate our lil wee
      I'm imagining you just sitting in your car touching the fabrics "ooh yeah that's the stuff"

Quote Originally Posted by One T Scot View Post
      You talking the 3M spray? Iím doing mine tomorrow with tgat

Yes, that's the stuff I used. It held for a while then started peeling again.

I can try, but it's hard to find Volvos in salvage yards around here.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi
      Original owner

Quote Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
      You could always use some spray glue and glue some microfiber to it
      04 V70R, 05 M3, 92 Stealth TT, 94 Stealth TT soon to be single T

Yes, that's the stuff I used. It held for a while then started peeling again.I can try, but it's hard to find Volvos in salvage yards around here.
      Where are you? They pop up in lkq yards near me like every day

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast