Tinkerbell - A Sonic Blue VR Story - Page 5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Quote Originally Posted by dynamite9500 View Post
      I love the work you've done fixing all the details! I hope the immobilizer issue is quickly resolved.

BTW, the pick 'n pulls here are *bursting* full of P2 s60, v70 and xc70s. So many parts are interchangeable! It's a treasure trove.
      Good to know! Any chance you've seen some drip rails around? Where do you like to look specifically? I don't know many of them around.
      Instagram: @miata_at_midlife

2006 Sonic Blue Volvo V70R | 1998 Estoril Blue BMW M3 Sedan | 2000 Avus Blue BMW M5

***My V70R build thread, most of which was not built by me ***

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Julien View Post
      I could not have sold this car to a better person, you are really taking it to the next level! Still a little sad I sold her, but glad it went to a good home!
      Thanks for selling her to me! Come up and take her for a spin any time you like

2006 Sonic Blue Volvo V70R | 1998 Estoril Blue BMW M3 Sedan | 2000 Avus Blue BMW M5

I did not know that you were here on the forums........I did see your car on the Avants page though.

Lets get the Sonics together one of these days and do a photo-shoot.

Also, let me know if you need any local help at all.

Super glad we have another Sonic in Seattle
      Volvoless in Seattle……………

Yellow 854 T-5R - 42K miles

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TG850T5R View Post
      I did not know that you were here on the forums........I did see your car on the Avants page though.

Lets get the Sonics together one of these days and do a photo-shoot.

Also, let me know if you need any local help at all.

Thank you! Would love to get the Sonics together soon. That is, if I can get mine started... (see here for current issue I can't figure out)

Quote Originally Posted by TG850T5R View Post
      Sonics in Seattle. I remember that movie!
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 2004 V70R MT 68k

Quote Originally Posted by bigern79 View Post
      Good to know! Any chance you've seen some drip rails around? Where do you like to look specifically? I don't know many of them around.
      Do you mean just the rubber strips on either side of the windshield? Or the entire plastic rails that run the length of the car?

If it's the rubber strips, you can find some good ones, peel them off the old car, and glue them to your car. Then keep them hydrated.
      Another solution is to just remove them. I've done this on sonic and I'm satisfied for now.
      I also have a pretty good homemade solution!

If it's the entire rails, there's a way to remove the rails without "breaking" the clips. But even if you "break" them, they are designed to have a small piece separate and they can be put back together. Don't be like me and buy brand new clips for $100 because I thought I broke them but they weren't actually broken

Either way, you can find those pieces virtually any day. The closest pick n pull is Lynwood, then it starts to get far (Tacoma, Auburn, Tumwater...). You can check availability on pick n pull's website. I signed up for notifications on row52.com so i get an email anytime there's fresh meat . Tacoma gets the most. One day I went there and there were *8* p2 volvos. Filled up my trunk with parts including a nice mat for the cargo area!
      Last edited by dynamite9500; 07-24-2020 at 02:15 AM.
      Instagram: @sonic_vr
      2006 V70 R Sonic Blue
      Washington, USA

Homemade solution

Sure wish there were pic-parts in these parts of upper middle south!!

"If it's the rubber strips, you can find some good ones, peel them off the old car, and glue them to your car. Then keep them hydrated.
      Another solution is to just remove them. I've done this on sonic and I'm satisfied for now.
      I also have a pretty good homemade solution!"

The homemade solution is really sick!! Where did you source the replacement rubber? I hope I'm not asking for Top Secret info.

Quote Originally Posted by YV1LW View Post
      Sure wish there were pic-parts in these parts of upper middle south!!

"If it's the rubber strips, you can find some good ones, peel them off the old car, and glue them to your car. Then keep them hydrated.
      I also have a pretty good homemade solution!"

The homemade solution is really sick!! Where did you source the replacement rubber? I hope I'm not asking for Top Secret info.
      The rubber is just this weatherstripping. However, I removed the included adhesive and added my own so I could mount the weatherstripping as shown in the picture.
      Instagram: @sonic_vr
      2006 V70 R Sonic Blue
      Washington, USA

Quote Originally Posted by dynamite9500 View Post
      The rubber is just this weatherstripping. However, I removed the included adhesive and added my own so I could mount the weatherstripping as shown in the picture.
      How did you go about attaching it? The fold over bit looks flush to the windshield. I can’t quite make it out in the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2008 C30 R-Design MT Black
      2007 V70R GT Ti Grey Nordkap

Lightbulb More of this and that...

It's hard to believe that I haven't updated this thread in over 2 months. There's a fair amount to report though, so let's get into it.

When I left you last, I was having issues getting the car to start due to an immobilizer issue. I mention it lightly here, but I've been emotionally scarred for life from the experience. Fortunately, the fix ended up being potentially the easiest solution to any car problem of all time. You can read the maniacal details here.

After that debacle, I celebrated by taking the family on a nice day trip up to Bellingham via scenic Chuckanut Drive. It was wonderful to be back in the saddle again, and the car cruised along beautifully. As we made our way in for lunch at Boundary Bay Brewing, a former S60R owner chased me down on his bike just to share his excitement about seeing the car. It was a pretty fun day!

With the car back up and running, I turned my attention back to the cosmetics. My cluster hood had a couple of good sized chips taken out of it. I have no idea how this could happen, but I'm guessing it was dog-related. I found a great replacement in the Facebook group and it turned out very good:

Before:

After:

Next, I tackled the last item of my tech gizmos list and hard-wired my Uniden R3 radar detector. I've used this little kit from Amazon a couple of times in the past, and it worked great in the R as well:

Here it is after adding the Radar Mirror mount:

It was long overdue, but I finally was able to meet up with SS member dynamite9500. We had a good time comparing our Sonic Blue R's, then capped the evening with a nice drive and little photo shoot. I hope that one day my paint will look half as good as his!

Bit of a tangent, but did anyone else pickup this guy from Blipshift a few weeks ago? My entire COVID-19 wardrobe basically consists of sweatpants and car t-shirts:

Even though new replacement shift knobs are ludicrously expensive now, I threw caution to the wind and took the plunge from FCP Euro. The old one was actually in very decent condition, but... car guy reasons. The first one I received was missing the silver shaft piece, so FCP replaced it for me.

Now, a while back I was messing around with some wiring under the shifter. Because I'm me, I accidentally reinstalled the old shift knob on backwards and could not get it off no matter how I positioned it. With enough heavy weight training, protein shakes, and anabolic steroids, I was able to muster up the strength to yank it off at the expense of the little pin shearing off and breaking inside the shift rod. Fortunately, Kristian at Viva Performance hooked me up with a new one from Viva's short shift kit. I also found a replacement shifter surround to replace my doggy-dinged one. I am now quite pleased:

Continuing in my propensity for replacing low dollar, low impact items to brag about, I found some new cupholder rubber!

Eventually I will be pulling and re-painting the center console as well. Not really looking forward to that.

I'm still planning on doing a complete detail and paint restoration on the car. There's still quite a bit of body work needed, and I'd rather wait until it's done before spending much time on paint correction. Rest assured, I'll be documenting it when I get there.

As a precursor to all of this, I had planned on polishing the rest of the windshield. It was covered in light scratches from years of crusty windshield wiper abuse. I bought myself some CarPro Ceriglass, glass correcting pads, and was getting ready to dust off my Rupes dual action polisher. Suddenly, while on a short drive to the in-law's house...

As fate would have it, the very day I planned to get to work, a rock hit the far edge of my windshield. Ironically, the rock hit exactly where my rubber drip rails SHOULD be, before I cut their crusty tattered bones out. I ended up just having windshield replaced:

But if you look a little bit closer...

Fresh drip rails!!! I can't believe that I scored these from LloydDobler. He was kind enough to 1) reach out personally to offer near-mint Sonic Blue trim with fully intact drip rail rubber, 2) pitch a fantastic price, and 3) drive about 100 miles to meet me half way between Seattle and Portland. I really appreciate that effort, as well as his beautiful Ice White V70:

So all of that narrows my list down to only about 80 things left to do. As you can see, there should be another update coming a bit later

A new shift knob is magical. Feels good. Looks good. Is good.
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport Passion Red/Off-Black - Serpentine Belt, Tensioner & Idler Pulleys - Spark Plug Replacement - Y-Pipe Replacement
      1990 745 Turbo Intercooler White/Beige
      2007 XC70
      VIDA/DICE Owner - SS Lurker Since 2009 - '06-'07 Transmission Valve Body Info - SR/VR Failing Throttle Body - Replica 18" Pegs - Handbrake Mod
      Current Non-Volvo: 2007 VTX 1800 F3, 2002 VT750DC
      Previous: 2006 S60R, 2004 V70R MT 68k

What an update! Making the rest of us with other colors jealous

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black, 1991 745 White, 1982 242 GL Silver
      Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

Love a new shift knob! I put a new one in mine about a year ago and got rid of my crusty shedding one, along with swapping in a space all from a 5 speed. Looks SOO much cleaner now.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5