SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Easter Eggs - What have you found?

28K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  Royce0312 
#1 ·
There is a lot to love about our cars and most everyone here has probably read the manual and more about everything your vehicles have to offer. However, there are occasions when I stumble upon a feature (documented or undocumented) that makes me smile. I'd like to start this thread to share those easter eggs with the group.

My first one is documented in the manual, but I missed it until recently. Double pressing on the left or right side mirror adjust buttons when in reverse will tilt that mirror when reversing allowing you to view that curb. My wife's Honda Odyssey has this feature, and I was thrilled to stumble on it on the Volvo too.

What have you found that made you smile?

#2 ·
“Home safe lighting”
Some of the exterior lights remain on to illumi- nate the area around the vehicle. This is called home safe lighting.
To activate home safe lighting:
1. Switch off the ignition.
2. Push the left-side steering wheel lever toward the dashboard and release.
3. Exit the vehicle and lock the doors.

#3 ·
1) The washer nozzle pattern on the wipers
2) Opening the rear hatch with a foot kick.

Funny story: my salesman told me the foot/hatch feature wasn’t on the car. He couldn’t figure out how to work it and assumed it wasn’t there. When I told him I found it and that it worked, he was really embarrassed. Apparently, several of them had even looked under the car for the sensor. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
1) The washer nozzle pattern on the wipers
2) Opening the rear hatch with a foot kick.

Funny story: my salesman told me the foot/hatch feature wasn't on the car. He couldn't figure out how to work it and assumed it wasn't there. When I told him I found it and that it worked, he was really embarrassed. Apparently, several of them had even looked under the car for the sensor. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is the washer nozzle pattern a hidden Easter egg like feature?

I found the trunk won't open if stood too close after waving your foot. Seem to need step back after doing it.

#6 ·
I love that the inside of the door handles are capacitive. You touch the inside of the handle and it unlocks before you even pull the door open. It's not truly an Easter Egg, Volvo doesn't really believe in those, everything is documented, but it's something I didn't realize when I first got the car.

#9 ·
I have my side mirrors set to automatically tilt down when the tranny goes into the reverse. This is a feature I've become very accustomed to in my last vehicle. The "easter egg" part of this in my Volvo is that the mirrors automatically tilt back to the preset angle when reversing with some speed. AWESOME!!

You can also fold in the side mirrors by pressing both the mirror adjust buttons down at the same time. Great for the car wash or pulling into tight spots.

I also have the rear wiper set to automatically wipe when in reverse (only does this if the front windshield wipers are already on).

#17 ·
#18 ·
Even though it's not advertised as such, Pilot Assist can actually handle full stop and go traffic, you just have to enable it while fast enough and then be brave enough to actually let it stop. I like to bump up the follow distance when I know it's going to happen and it will be a little faster and smoother on the brakes. Accelerating from a stop is a little slow but it can do it.

Reactions: ElmhurstMick
#19 ·
It is advertised as such. And it's not Pilot Assist doing it, it's the ACC.
There's nothing brave about this, it's called working as intended.

#27 ·
When I first got the car I was kicking like a damn fool under there, how does it not see my size 13!! Once I figured out it works just to the right of the left exhaust tip it works every time now. Can you fancy wagon people kick under there to *close* the gate too?

#32 ·
So... today, while scrolling through Instagram of all places I found an ACTUAL Easter Egg. Or I am dumb and didn't realize it was in the manual. Either way, here you go:

If you turn on the overhead lights/map lights, you can then hold the individual button for the corresponding light and it will Dim the light output. Nice thing is it also remembers the intensity last used. Want it brighter? Hold it again. Seems like a great idea since everyone seems to love to complain about being blinded when someone turns a light on at night, say to read (If you are one of those crazy people who don't vomit from reading in a moving vehicle :what: )

#33 ·
Or I am dumb and didn't realize it was in the manual.
Page 161 under "Reading lights" ;-) sorry couldn't resist finding it! Though in your defense it doesn't mention that it saves the setting, so that's nice.

The reading lights on the right and left sides are switched on and off by briefly pressing the buttons in the ceiling console. To adjust the brightness, press and hold the button.

#34 ·
Hey that kicked my brain into motion, maybe I've found a real easter egg. I've noticed if my daughter turns on her reading light in the back, and I want to turn it off, press the main light button up front in the overhead console and it turns all the lights off. Useful for when she leaves it on and falls asleep. Find THAT in the manual hahaha. I know it's a pretty weak easter egg but we'll take what we can get.

There is so little customization and settings in this car you can't hardly find any surprise and delight

#37 ·
Thanks everyone for their tips regarding the hands-free hatch operation. I can now proudly declare that I have mastered a one-shot-one-kill technique!
The particular location and speed are the keys and the technique works for both ways - open and close. If you were standing too close to the bumper/hatch, it would beep. You just step back and the hatch starts coming down. COOL!!

Cheers

#38 ·
Certainly not an easter egg, but maybe a funny quirk? I had my airpods in my pocket next to my 'valet' key and the close & lock button on the hatch wouldn't read that I had the key. I moved my airpods to a different pocket and it worked as intended. Anyone ever come across something like this? Any reason the airpods would interfere with the key signal?

#39 ·
I think it was just a fluke, ur placement key position that needed to be closer. AirPods case closed is not sending out any signals. Try having the two next to each other and try opening and closing doors by touch and see if this has any affect.

#41 ·
Lots of things can interfere with the fob, my wallet with multiple chip-cards and a few NFC cards in it seem to block the signal as well if it's right in front of the fob.

#45 ·
Get into car. Start car, into reverse and pull away. No!
Feels like brakes or handbrake not released. Tried a bit more gas but no it will not move. Senior moment arrives 😎 Notice passenger door is not fully closed and the alarm is showing on the screen but no alarm sounding. No passenger in the seat at the time.
So I learnt that if the door is not fully closed and no passenger is seated then the car won't move anywhere. If a passenger is seated then it moves off with just the alarm sounding until the door is closed.
Seems strange and maybe it was just the electronics messing as the car had been stood in the open during 2 storms. Who knows; maybe it was just a senior moment? Finding that detail in the manual would take far too much of my time.

#46 · (Edited)
Huh, i'll test this when I leave work today, can't find it in the manual, not sure it's supposed to do that at all so may have been a one-off in yours. Will report back when I try it.

Edit: update- just you, my car moves just fine with any door open with no passenger, dash just warns me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.