Timing Belt Slack
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Timing Belt Slack

Hi, you all helped me work through some wierd issue in a recent thread, but it continues...
      The timing belt has too much slack...
      I rotate the engine clockwise with a ratchet, and it seems okay, gripping all the sprockets, tension seems sufficient, I can feel the resistance of the cams pushing the valves open.
      If I stop rotating, the belt springs back and the section from the intake cam down to the crankshaft appears loose, wayy too loose.
      If I rotate it backwards, the belt wants to slip over the intake cam.
      The tensioner bearing is not being fully pushed up by the tensioner it seems, or the belt is too long, I can move the tensioner arm up and down loosely about 1mm.

I replaced the belt with the correct part number for early model with hydraulic tensioner, and I have replaced the tensioner now as well.
      Water pump is new as of a couple months ago, I remember the original water pump had a different looking sprocket, it had "blank spots" equally spread out on some of the teeth, the new one has teeth all the way around. It's not possible that the water pump had a smaller sprocket is it? This one pump fits 850, 960, C30, C70, S40, S60, S70, S80, V40, V50, & more according to FCP so it seems like there isn't even variation in the water pump onwards of 2000.

I'm at such a loss here, plz any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by spiffy926 View Post
      Hi, you all helped me work through some wierd issue in a recent thread, but it continues...
      The timing belt has too much slack...
      I rotate the engine clockwise with a ratchet, and it seems okay, gripping all the sprockets, tension seems sufficient, I can feel the resistance of the cams pushing the valves open.
      If I stop rotating, the belt springs back and the section from the intake cam down to the crankshaft appears loose, wayy too loose.
      If I rotate it backwards, the belt wants to slip over the intake cam.
      The tensioner bearing is not being fully pushed up by the tensioner it seems, or the belt is too long, I can move the tensioner arm up and down loosely about 1mm.

I replaced the belt with the correct part number for early model with hydraulic tensioner, and I have replaced the tensioner now as well.
      Water pump is new as of a couple months ago, I remember the original water pump had a different looking sprocket, it had "blank spots" equally spread out on some of the teeth, the new one has teeth all the way around. It's not possible that the water pump had a smaller sprocket is it? This one pump fits 850, 960, C30, C70, S40, S60, S70, S80, V40, V50, & more according to FCP so it seems like there isn't even variation in the water pump onwards of 2000.

I'm at such a loss here, plz any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
      Hi spiffy,

Can you post a picture of the timing system?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I do not see an idler pulley in your setup. Please verify that you have your idler pulley installed in your timing system. It should sit up and to the right of your tensioner.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...ller-9146376-1

ERA

Thanks guys I guess that would explain a lot...

You're gonna have to pull the tensioner again and push the pin back in SLOWLY.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
      You're gonna have to pull the tensioner again and push the pin back in SLOWLY.
      Yes, can be done easily with a C-clamp.

^^ Got that part down, trying to set the timing without the idler installed must have been part of the reason it was so hard to get set in time, meaning that I already re-set the tensioner half a dozen times; which was part of the reason why I assumed it had failed, but it turns out (after already getting a replacement) that the tensioner wasn't the issue. So... time to dig the idler out of the scrap bin and get it back installed and happy... 3 month delayed project about to wrap up?? Fingers crossed.

[QUOTE=spiffy926;7506401]^^ Got that part down, trying to set the timing without the idler installed must have been part of the reason it was so hard to get set in time, meaning that I already re-set the tensioner half a dozen times; which was part of the reason why I assumed it had failed, but it turns out (after already getting a replacement) that the tensioner wasn't the issue. So... time to dig the idler out of the scrap bin and get it back installed and happy... 3 month delayed project about to w

Got my fingers crossed for you!

Wow she's back n running I almost couldn't believe it myself, thanks for the help!

Wow she's back n running I almost couldn't believe it myself, thanks for the help!
      You bet, any time! Glad you got the ol' beast running.

ERA

Awesome sauce! Look as someone that gets frustrated extremely easily, sometimes taking a break or taking a step back helps. Glad you didn't lose your patience and got it back up and runn

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements