SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Volvo Recall Letter Received - Sharing with Others

26K views 222 replies 46 participants last post by  SlickWilly 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
I'm actual glad this recall has came! My door latches on both of my rear doors never work correctly and would not unlock/lock unless done manually. Even though it is not related to the reasoning for this recall, it seems like these door latches definitely had a fault in them. My dealership said they won't get the part until April sadly 😔.

#3 ·
We finally got our recall letter as well today.

#5 ·
Doors fail to properly latch due to heat related conditions.

#8 ·
Can't hurt to check since letter makes it seems like all those in model and year range are affected.

#10 ·
Yep that second one is my thread. But I felt I'd dedicate a single thread to the letter itself. Since these are now going out.

#13 ·
Thank you for the heads up. Our (first) letter just arrived today, 1/28/2020.

Guess it's time to wait for the second letter, letting us know parts are available.

Eric

#15 ·
Yay recieved mine too! Nothing like a letter to tell you that you'll be receiving another letter once parts are in 🤣

#16 ·
X2!! Course mine may be fine as we MIGHT get 5-6 days a year over 90 degrees!

#18 ·
I thought this was a one-off... my left rear door swung open while driving back in 2017. I had to drive with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding the door closed. Luckily, it happened on a low-speed neighborhood street and I was not too far from home. The issue happened in the middle of the summer in AZ so not surprised that heat is a contributing factor. Had the car towed to my local Volvo dealership the next day. Scary stuff!

#19 ·
Yikes. Seems you're a prime candidate for why a recall was issued. I've personally never experienced an issue, but enough people must have had problems, for a recall to have been declared.

#20 ·
Called the local dealer, not a lot of help, but I understand they likely don't have a whole lot of information either. They suggested I register the car with Volvo (but that Carfax should essentially inform Volvo I am an owner), tried registering with Volvo and the site crashes on both IE and Chrome.

Does this load for anyone: https://www.volvocars.com/us/Footer/Register-your-Volvo

I want to sound deaden my doors, but am not going to do so until I either know for certain I am not included in the recall, or as appears to be more likely, that all V60's between 2012 and 2017 are included and I just need to be patient. If I cover it in CLD tile etc. and then need to take it in for the recall, the job will be a LOT more difficult due to having to remove the CLD/CCF/MLV!

#21 ·
#26 ·
Got same letter today as well for my wifes 2017 s60I and my mom got same for her 2017 s60i.

#40 ·
Got my letter too late last week. My only criticism of the letter is it did not over-emphasize:

MAKE SURE ALL OCCUPANTS IN ALL SEATS ARE BUCKLED UP

If I were Volvo writing the letter, I make sure to write that safety warning at least twice and in bold, it's only written once towards bottom of second page. Should be highlighted, bold lettering on front top of first page. My $.02

#41 ·
Doors possibly flying open is self explanatory. If you can afford a Volvo, I'd hope you'd also have common sense to understand the importance of buckling up.

If not, well, maybe driving a safe car while riding unbuckled is more of an issue than slim chances of doors opening.

#44 ·
I think everyone owning a 2011-2017 S60, S60cc, V60, V60cc should assume their vehicle is affected. I wouldn't go worrying about the problem all too much. And once parts arrive, people will get notified. Until then, there's much ado about nothing. This problem appears to be quite isolated in nature.

I've yet to read a thread where anyone has complained their door flew open, prior to this recall bringing the issue to our attention. I'm sure there are several cases, but it isn't like the forum is overrun by complaints.

#45 ·
Looks like Volvo and the NHTSA have updated their databases, my VIN now shows up on both, so now the waiting game begins.

I'm torn on how much of my stereo install I want to do before the recall work gets completed, watched the video earlier of what's required to replace the latch, while all any tech would need to do its unplug different speaker connectors, I have very little faith in dealers doing a good job (poor experiences in the past) and dont want them screwing up my equipment.

#47 ·
Looks like Volvo and the NHTSA have updated their databases, my VIN now shows up on both, so now the waiting game begins.

I'm torn on how much of my stereo install I want to do before the recall work gets completed, watched the video earlier of what's required to replace the latch, while all any tech would need to do its unplug different speaker connectors, I have very little faith in dealers doing a good job (poor experiences in the past) and dont want them screwing up my equipment.
Not to sound like "dick" but why even consider after market installs until the recall is completed? It's not only opening a can of worms, that is easily avoided, it also complicates the tech's job during the recall. Where something you installed has potential to get messed up. I'm sure your stereo can wait until April.

Less headache for you and less headache for the tech employed to undertake the recall repair.

#48 ·
You forgot the most important issue.... A customer coming back upset saying their aftermarket item

1. No longer works
2. Tech Broke something

etc, etc. Like you said, he should wait until the recall is completed.

#56 ·
got my letter in the mail last Tuesday. checked with my dealer last Thursday they're not sure when the parts will come in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.