Need Opinions on Buying This C30 T5-R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Need Opinions on Buying This C30 T5-R

Evening all,

I've been away from the Volvo scene for about 2.5 years now. Had a '99 V70XC (dad bought, now brother now owns with ~250k miles) and an '07 XC90 V8 Sport (sold at 208k, still see it on the XC90 thread sometimes). I currently own a 2013 Land Rover LR4 and a 2011 full size Range Rover, along with 3 motorcycles. They're fantastic vehicles, but as could be imagined from a big, heavy V8, they act like drunks at a free bar (modded LR4 gets 12mpg on a good day, usually 9-10, RR gets 17-21)

So this brings me to today. I've been looking for a 3rd vehicle for the stable, that way when one is down for maintenance we still have 2 to use (bikes go away for the MT winter). I've been slowly looking at cars and stumbled upon this manual 2011 RD. It's about 18 hours from home and I'd fly out and drive it back. I know little about the C30, except that it seems that it has the common, reliable 5cyl-T

What are some key points I should ask about? Is anyone in the area of Kansas City, MO that could put eyes on for me? Thanks in advance for the input, and I'm hoping I can get back in the Volvo world soon!

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ct...058120775.html

Photos of the stable for your time

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There are precious few things to look at with these cars: timing belt, pcv replacement, and sunroof drain leaks. Other than that, it should be a solid little car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2008 C30 R-Design MT Black
      2007 V70R GT Ti Grey Nordkap

drive the car up to 75mph and hold it a minute and make sure there is no wobbling or shaking
      you will need a new timing belt soon anyway if it was not done yet so include 750$
      check if the AC works
      should be fine
      if you do buy the car you want to replace the two front sunroof drain tubes, anyway
      its like 5$ at homedepot
      2008 Volvo C30 R-design red manual

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by potatochobit View Post
      drive the car up to 75mph and hold it a minute and make sure there is no wobbling or shaking
      you will need a new timing belt soon anyway if it was not done yet so include 750$
      check if the AC works
      should be fine
      if you do buy the car you want to replace the two front sunroof drain tubes, anyway
      its like 5$ at homedepot
      Ok, so just the normal car buying things. Besides the sunroof drains (same issue with LR's), there's nothing special or catastrophic to watch out for with the 30?

2007 XC90 V8 Sport (R-Design), Passion Red, Large Iron Mark Grille, Satin Black Metallic Powder Coated Rims, 2013 Smoked Tail Lights, Lighted Upper Tail Lights, Chrome Executive Inlets, 32" Light Bar, Full Roof Rack w/ 36" Tri-Row Bar, 20" Light Bar, 4 7" Side Light Bars, 2 6" Back Up Light Bars, Full Sized Shovel, Full Sized Axe, Hi-Lift. S60R Brembo Brakes Front+Rear, 25mm Spacers, EBC Rotors+Pads.

Quote Originally Posted by oneofakind View Post
      Ok, so just the normal car buying things. Besides the sunroof drains (same issue with LR's), there's nothing special or catastrophic to watch out for with the 30?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      Thank you sir! I've been hitting the University of YouTube but hadn't come across that yet.

On another note, your build has gotten much further in the time I've been away!

Global Moderator MyNameIdeasWereTaken's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by oneofakind View Post
      On another note, your build has gotten much further in the time I've been away!
      There have been some changes! Finally killed the engine at 194k miles (about 160k of that tuned with cams, tracked and abused, so it lived a great life).
      New engine, fresh K04 turbo, back to stock cams, AWD swap, wide body, completed gutted interior, and more aero for downforce. It's not the fastest C30, but it's probably one of the lightest.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      There have been some changes! Finally killed the engine at 194k miles (about 160k of that tuned with cams, tracked and abused, so it lived a great life).
      New engine, fresh K04 turbo, back to stock cams, AWD swap, wide body, completed gutted interior, and more aero for downforce. It's not the fastest C30, but it's probably one of the lightest.
      And as long as it's the way you like it, that's the important part! I'd say 160k on a fairly modified engine is a great sign of how durable they are. I've been thinking about doing the AWD swap so it would drive better in the snow, but with how low they are stock I'd just be ripping stuff off in the snow.

Great info.
      2018 Volvo V60 Polestar
      2015 Audi Allroad

Hope you join the crew!
      2011 Volvo C30 T5 R Design (Polestar Tuned) Flame Orange Metallic/Charcoal

Well the red one that I linked sold the day I called. However I found a black 2011 in CA that I'm now pursuing. 206k miles and seemingly well maintained by an enthusiast. Don't have to worry about miles as a DD!

This is a little closer. Good market here in Denver.
      2010 s40 T5 AWD M66 a tribute to Heico's ODIN HS4

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements