T8 Charging Schedule
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

T8 Charging Schedule

If I asked for a single Volvo on Call feature in the USA today, it would be to enable a charging schedule for T8 PHEVs.

The feature has a page in my 2020 XC60 T8 Owner’s Manual with no exclusionary footnote. I therefore expected this would be available when I special-ordered, but it wasn’t when I took delivery a month ago. I read elsewhere on SwedeSpeed this isn’t available in the US, but went ahead and checked with Volvo Customer Service. Their reply was not all features are available in all markets, and nothing more.

Other threads on SwedeSpeed indicate VoC provides this in Europe and perhaps other non-US markets. My former Tesla BEV I sold to purchase my new T8, had a charging schedule that could be enabled or changed both in the cockpit and via it’s app longer than the 4 years I owned it. New pluggable Prius have a similar feature, so charging schedules are clearly something that could be made available by Volvo in the US if it were prioritized. I love my new T8, but it’s crazy for a premium PHEV/BEV vehicle to not have a built-in charging schedule, forcing owners to purchase external timers or wallchargers to provide a basic electrical vehicle requirement.

Does Volvo have plans to enable this important feature of a PHEV and future BEV in the USA? When?
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

VOC / Connectivity Expert
      Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      If I asked for a single Volvo on Call feature in the USA today, it would be to enable a charging schedule for T8 PHEVs.

The feature has a page in my 2020 XC60 T8 Owner’s Manual with no exclusionary footnote. I therefore expected this would be available when I special-ordered, but it wasn’t when I took delivery a month ago. I read elsewhere on SwedeSpeed this isn’t available in the US, but went ahead and checked with Volvo Customer Service. Their reply was not all features are available in all markets, and nothing more.

Other threads on SwedeSpeed indicate VoC provides this in Europe and perhaps other non-US markets. My former Tesla BEV I sold to purchase my new T8, had a charging schedule that could be enabled or changed both in the cockpit and via it’s app longer than the 4 years I owned it. New pluggable Prius have a similar feature, so charging schedules are clearly something that could be made available by Volvo in the US if it were prioritized. I love my new T8, but it’s crazy for a premium PHEV/BEV vehicle to not have a built-in charging schedule, forcing owners to purchase external timers or wallchargers to provide a basic electrical vehicle requirement.

Does Volvo have plans to enable this important feature of a PHEV and future BEV in the USA? When?
      It is in Europe. I could have sworn we have it here. I don't schedule or even have a desire, personally. But... we have raised the question.
      Any comments made are of my own opinion and not that of my employer!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoaVolvo View Post
      It is in Europe. I could have sworn we have it here. I don't schedule or even have a desire, personally. But... we have raised the question.
      TU. Most of the function seems to already be in the US VoC app, including saved locations — but in the US saved locations just don’t serve any real purpose, with no ability to set the charging info for each place as the manual indicates should be possible.

FYI where a charging schedule makes the most difference is as hybrid/BEV batteries increase in size, and if you live in an area where your electric utility has TOU (Time of Use) plans you can sign-up for. E.g. my off-peak hours vary by time of year and day-of-week, but generally 12midnight to 6am and a bit longer on Sat/Sun, my rates can be 30% or less than peak times — so, it’s not advantageous to just plug-in and let your car begin immediately charging itself — rather, get in the habit of always pluging-in when you arrive home and park your car, and let your car start charging itself later at a preset time-of-day that aligns with your best utility rates. Even with my new “little” 11.6kWH T8 battery (compared to my 90kWH in former Tesla, my T8 replaced), when I don’t have an immediate need for a “refill” at home, I’d rather pay say $2.50 off-peak to fill my T8 battery up, than $8 or more in summer prime time which reduces the financial benefit of a hybrid/BEV compared to using gasoline. The difference adds-up quick day-by-day especially for those of us that can use battery-only for daily jaunts around town — so US T8 owners like myself are now forced to use external timers and multiple apps, vs. the far more convenient “one stop shop” that VoC offers in Europe, and other PHEV/BEV vehicles and apps provide here in the US. Thx for checking and nudging HQ folks along for us. It’s definitely a function that if not enabled by the time the first Recharge models hit the US market, you’ll be hearing about much more loudly and not in a kind way.
      Last edited by BertL; 01-28-2020 at 07:03 PM. Reason: English!
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements