2020 R design seats
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2020 R design seats

I am used to momentum seats so wondering how comfortable/uncomfortable the side bolstered seats would be. Some reviews point out the firm bottom. Does anyone regret getting the R-Design model as a result.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The seats on the 2019 R-Design are what swayed me from buying an Inscription to buying an R-Design. Love 'em.
      2019 XC60 T6 R-Design | Osmium Grey | Advanced Package | Polestar | Air Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by .LMS. View Post
      The seats on the 2019 R-Design are what swayed me from buying an Inscription to buying an R-Design. Love 'em.
      Don’t regret it but they are significantly firmer than the inscription and momentum seats. You do get used to it though

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by VOLVOFAN12 View Post
      Don’t regret it but they are significantly firmer than the inscription and momentum seats. You do get used to it though
      Inscription seats maybe a touch softer, but are not as supportive for me - my bottom gets sore after couple of hours of driving. R-Design Contour seats are my favorite by far. Side bolsters provide excellent lateral support too.
      2019 S60 T6 R-design Polestar / Fusion Red / Black
      2018 XC60 T8 AWD Inscription Vision Lux Air / Fusion Red / Black
      past:
      2018 S60 T5 Dynamic Sport Vision Nav / Onyx Black / Black
      2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD Platinum Sport BLIS / Power Blue / Blond|Black
      2014 S60 T5 Prem Plus Sport BLIS Xenons / Ember Black / Beechwood

Quote Originally Posted by .LMS. View Post
      +2

Quote Originally Posted by genesmasher View Post
      Inscription seats maybe a touch softer, but are not as supportive for me - my bottom gets sore after couple of hours of driving. R-Design Contour seats are my favorite by far. Side bolsters provide excellent lateral support too.
      +1
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

I chose the Inscription optional seats with massage etc because I did not want alcantara. My previous 2015.5 XC60 was an R-Design with leather sport seats. I won't say I am sorry for not getting the RD this time as I have grown to really like the Inscription, but I still think the R-Design seats are the most comfortable seats ever!!
      2018 XC60 T6 Inscription, Pine Grey, Maroon Brown Interior, Polestar, Advanced, Vision, Convenience, Protection, Air Suspension, B&W, etc

When it comes to seats...how a car rides....not sure how 1 can even ask others for their opinion....as some will say its the best seat ever.....another will say its the worst,lol
      2019 XC 60 T8 Inscription Osmium Grey
      2017 Honda Africa Twin

Quote Originally Posted by flames9 View Post
      When it comes to seats...how a car rides....not sure how 1 can even ask others for their opinion....as some will say its the best seat ever.....another will say its the worst,lol
      True for the Inscription vs. R-Design seats. Although I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who prefers the Momentum seats.

I do like the R-Design seats, but ventilated seats was a requirement, for me, so I went with the Inscription. I'm glad I made that choice.

I like the R nunbuck seats even better than my 20 Polestar Engineered leather trimmed version of them.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

I couldn't get used to Momentum seats without leg extension so I found and retrofitted full-leather R-Design seats and those are great for me.
      XC60 T5+ AWD MY20
      XC60 T5+ AWD MY17

I wanted to buy the type R because I loved the bursting blue color (still think it's the nicest volvo color). Ended it up not getting it because of the seats. I don't think they're too firm at all and I liked the bolsters on the upper part of the seat. The bolsters on the bottom of the seats rubbed against my leg in a really unpleasant manner. I had seats that were bolstered like that in my last car and hated them, so I was somewhat sensitized to the issue.

I have the Inscription and like the seats. The main issue you'll miss with the momentum is not having a 4 way lumbar adjust - and I definitely needed that option for my wonky back.

You're not going to get an answer to this on a forum. Every body is different.

I wouldn't go near the type R seats. Really dislike them. That's me. I don't think those who love those seats are wrong, I just think that what works for them doesn't work for me.
      2019 XC60 T6 Inscription Pine Gray Ext/Maroon (brown) Int

Quote Originally Posted by flames9 View Post
      Best post in the thread.

I wonder how much wives enjoy/dislike the extra firmness and bolstering. Trying to avoid any squabbling after the purchase😃

Quote Originally Posted by vtec1994 View Post
      I wonder how much wives enjoy/dislike the extra firmness and bolstering. Trying to avoid any squabbling after the purchase😃
      Mine prefers it, but as said above, this is highly subjective.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

I suspect that the type r seats will be more comfy for women than men. The bolstering is not as intrusive for a smaller frame.

Just my opinion, but the type r seats are not overly firmb at all. Firm enough to prevent aches and pains on long trips.
      Last edited by Walkabout; 01-29-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Maybe the better process here is to measure spouse quality by their appreciation of the R Design seats...
      2019 XC60 T8 Fusion Red R-Design - www.MotorSportUnPlugged.com -

Nah, the proper way to hijack a thread is like this...

Many years ago, worked on a vehicle product team for a major automaker. One of the research studies I'm familiar with involved the interior team inviting random people to sample seats to obtain their comfort/quality feedback. Some cars with the identical interior color were set up with black-out tape over the logos/steering wheels and people were asked to sit down and evaluate the seats.

Of course the visitors could still tell the general shape of a BMW, Cadillac, Lincoln, Chrysler, Lexus, Acura, etc, but brand identification was kind of the point of the study as a red herring.

The interior team had found a way to lift seats off of the factory seat rails. To the extent they could install the Cadillac front seat into any of the cars. And similarly they could put the BMW seat into any of the cars. Since all of the seats were the "premium black leather option", the goal was to find out if the best luxury seats actually were the best seats regardless of what car they were put in.

Lots of people sat in varying combination of seats and stack-ranked the seats across the sporty, comfort, quality spectrum.

The results I remember shouldn't be a surprise...

No matter what seat was placed in the BMW, it tended to be rated more sporty and firm.
      No matter what seat was placed in the Chrysler, it tended to be rated less comfortable.
      No matter what seat was placed in the Cadillac, it tended to be rated better quality.

But, no matter which vehicle had the BMW seat, it tended to be the least comfortable; but not by much. The discomfort assessment was way more severe for seats being installed into a Chrysler.

Anyway, for cars that cater to a general audience, even the sporty version of the seat is going to be comfortable for an average frame. Buyers will not suddenly find a seat to be uncomfortable unless they drop into a different price class of vehicle. For example, going from a Volvo to a Kia will likely cause much more discomfort than the difference seen between Inscription and R-Design.

Edit: Unfortunately, I don't remember if there was a gender differential for comfort assessment based on height/weight. But I can attest at the time that American automakers assumed the "average occupant" in the front seats was much larger than what the Japanese and Germans assumed. This extended not just to seats but headroom/legroom diagrams.
      Last edited by Holeydonut; 01-30-2020 at 01:51 PM.

lulz. right on. you forgot audi
      Current: 2020 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2018 Volvo XC40 R-Design
      Previous: 2009 Volvo C70, 2006 Volvo XC60, 2003 Saab 9-5, 1999 Mitsubishi FTO, 1998 Land Rover Freelander, 1995 Suzuki Swift Sedan

I love my R design seats. I also like firmer seats and seats that have the side bolster, so if you don't like that then...

I have had both men and women comment on how comfortable they are. My wife has issues with everything for one reason or another and she seems to really like them.
      2019 XC60 Fusion Red T6 R-Design | Advanced Package | Heated Steering Wheel Package | 15% Tint

The R-design seats are firm, and my initial reaction was "too firm", but I really love them now. Didn't take long, just not what I was used to. The only thing I don't like about firm is that they're not at all comfortable to sleep in (as a passenger on long trips!).

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements