bad mpg??
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: bad mpg??

bad mpg??

Hello folks,

Live in New York City, but not in Manhattan, so my driving isn't strictly stop and go traffic. Driving style is mixed, but generally casual (don't floor it, race it, speed, or try hard to save fuel) and I only seem to manage 17mpg. Never any better than that. I feel this is excessively low...most posts I've seen are around 20mpg. Is this what other people have been experiencing in an urban driving environment? I know everyone drives differently, but I definitely don't drive the car hard.

Experiences?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That is pretty terrible... what octane are you running?
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

mine shows 21 consistently around the city but people on here say that the gauge isnt accurate.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

My average MPG in my 2019 XC40 is around 21.4 in mixed driving in Wisconsin.I just completed a trip to S.California at speeds of approximately 80 MPH and averaged 27.1 according to the car's odometer.It seems to like the nonreformulated fuel too.

I usually run 89 octane, but would that really have that large of an effect on my mpg? Up to 10mpg differences? Any other NY residents with similar experiences?

17 to 20 is not 10 mpg... that's 3... but yeah, octane and lots of idling could cause that. While the EPA rating does not use the Start Stop for this Volvo, are you using it? That would help you out, especially in a city too.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by wldud220 View Post
      I usually run 89 octane, but would that really have that large of an effect on my mpg? Up to 10mpg differences? Any other NY residents with similar experiences?
      Isn’t 91 octane the minimum in your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wldud220 View Post
      I ran 87 for a few weeks when I got my XC40 RD w/ P*. I got terrible MPG, around 18-19.. Once I swapped to 93 consistently, I've easily been getting 25-26 mixed. 31mpg for pure highway.
      2019 XC40 RD P* & 2013 XC60 T6 P* / 2011 S60 T6 (Traded In)

Quote Originally Posted by rkohou View Post
      Isn’t 91 octane the minimum in your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yes, but folks like to cheap out on taking care of their luxury motors....
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

We run 93 octane because that’s premium where we live and we’ve out 20,000 miles on our T5. We’ve never been below 22 in around town driving. Best was 33 on a road trip.

Don’t use 89 octane. 91 is the minimum.
      My bride’s - 2019 XC40 (July 2019 OSD), Momentum Mine - 2013 VW GTI Drivers Edition and 1996 VW GTI VR6 (bought new and still love it) Ours - 2008 Jeep GC Limited with a Hemi.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      Yes, but folks like to cheap out on taking care of their luxury motors....
      I’ll never understand this. The costs for premium fuel are nominal.
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

I live in Brooklyn. Car commutes from Brooklyn to Manhattan. 2 to 4 times a week.

Yes, MPG is about 17-23 MPG depending on traffic on the Brooklyn Bridge, FDR and the BQE.
      Make sure you switch to Eco mode. It adds 1-3 MPG for Urban driving. And as I told my wife, the driver of the XC40, ease up on the gas and brakes (lol). The same route, her father (a retired driving instructor), does 2-4 MPG better than her.

We achieved 31.x+ MPG on highway (Cape May/NYC and Poconos/NYC).
      Last edited by cbelle; 02-03-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      I’ll never understand this. The costs for premium fuel are nominal.
      I don't even have my XC40 yet. Heading to Gothenburg mid-March to see it for the first time at the FDC. I am currently driving a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Sport 4WD that happily takes 87 octane regular unleaded fuel here in Maryland. Maryland is a high tax state and fuel is crazy. I would not call the differences here nominal. When I get my XC40 (probably around Memorial Day), I plan on using top-tier premium fuel in it. However, the difference is substantial and not nominal. For example the best prices (though I have never yet bought my gas there) are at Costco - regular unleaded is $2.19 and premium is $2.50. At local top-tiers like Exxon (the nearest to me) or Shell, the prices are worse. Exxon is $2.89 for regular unleaded and $3.59 for premium. Shell is $2.59 for regular unleaded and premium is $3.11. At a lower tier like 7-Eleven, regular unleaded is $2.29 and premium is $2.89. So, I am not sure how one defines nominal. With a small tank of just 14.2 gallons capacity, filling up at Exxon on a bone-dry tank (not that one would ever let their car get down to 0 gallons, but this makes the math easier), is going to cost you $50.97 (round it up to $51.00) for premium, and $41.03 for regular unleaded. Not talking breaking the bank. LOL!! However, a $9.94 difference (or round it up to an even $10) is not a minor difference. Do that a minimum of once a week for 52 weeks a year and you are spending an extra $520 a year on gas alone. Costco will save me the most (which is why I plan to start getting my premium gas there once my XC40 arrives), but is still a lot. Exxon's annual cost would be $2,652 for one fill-up a week. Costco would be $1,846. That is a difference of $806.00. I realize prices vary from one state and one country to the next. I would consider a nominal difference to be like $0.05 to $0.10. I am not going to drive 9 miles out of my way to save just $0.05 a gallon. But I will to save $1.09 a gallon. :-)

Winter blend is always going to be noticeably worse mpg.
      2020 xc60 "Polestar Engineered", crystal white.
      2019 xc40 T5-R Bursting Blue Premium & Advanced Packs.

Quote Originally Posted by rapayn1 View Post
      I don't even have my XC40 yet. Heading to Gothenburg mid-March to see it for the first time at the FDC. I am currently driving a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Sport 4WD that happily takes 87 octane regular unleaded fuel here in Maryland. Maryland is a high tax state and fuel is crazy. I would not call the differences here nominal. When I get my XC40 (probably around Memorial Day), I plan on using top-tier premium fuel in it. However, the difference is substantial and not nominal. For example the best prices (though I have never yet bought my gas there) are at Costco - regular unleaded is $2.19 and premium is $2.50. At local top-tiers like Exxon (the nearest to me) or Shell, the prices are worse. Exxon is $2.89 for regular unleaded and $3.59 for premium. Shell is $2.59 for regular unleaded and premium is $3.11. At a lower tier like 7-Eleven, regular unleaded is $2.29 and premium is $2.89. So, I am not sure how one defines nominal. With a small tank of just 14.2 gallons capacity, filling up at Exxon on a bone-dry tank (not that one would ever let their car get down to 0 gallons, but this makes the math easier), is going to cost you $50.97 (round it up to $51.00) for premium, and $41.03 for regular unleaded. Not talking breaking the bank. LOL!! However, a $9.94 difference (or round it up to an even $10) is not a minor difference. Do that a minimum of once a week for 52 weeks a year and you are spending an extra $520 a year on gas alone. Costco will save me the most (which is why I plan to start getting my premium gas there once my XC40 arrives), but is still a lot. Exxon's annual cost would be $2,652 for one fill-up a week. Costco would be $1,846. That is a difference of $806.00. I realize prices vary from one state and one country to the next. I would consider a nominal difference to be like $0.05 to $0.10. I am not going to drive 9 miles out of my way to save just $0.05 a gallon. But I will to save $1.09 a gallon. :-)
      That's the definition of nominal....Especially when you factor in the better fuel economy and overall good fuel economy of today's vehicles. I doubt most people fill up from empty once a week. Costco would only be $228.90 more not taking in the better economy of high test fuel with these cars. If that's not nominal then you should probably not be purchasing a luxury vehicle.

I drive in PA and our taxes (for fuel) are the highest in the nation.. It adds about 6 bucks a week for me and I drive around 12k a year. I use a tank every 1.5 weeks or so. I spend more than that if I stop somewhere for breakfast.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rapayn1 View Post
      I don't even have my XC40 yet. Heading to Gothenburg mid-March to see it for the first time at the FDC. I am currently driving a 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Sport 4WD that happily takes 87 octane regular unleaded fuel here in Maryland. Maryland is a high tax state and fuel is crazy. I would not call the differences here nominal. When I get my XC40 (probably around Memorial Day), I plan on using top-tier premium fuel in it. However, the difference is substantial and not nominal. For example the best prices (though I have never yet bought my gas there) are at Costco - regular unleaded is $2.19 and premium is $2.50. ... I would consider a nominal difference to be like $0.05 to $0.10. I am not going to drive 9 miles out of my way to save just $0.05 a gallon. But I will to save $1.09 a gallon. :-)
      Gasp!! Paid $3.30 for premium last week at Costco here. $2.50 sounds nice. It's all a matter of perspective, eh.

I drive an R-Design, 91 octane gas, in lots of Silicon Valley stop and go traffic and get about 23 mpg. Eco mode is a huge game changer for me. Some of these stop lights have 5 - 6 minute cycles. With Eco mode you can sit there and use a minimum of fuel. I also notice my car "coasts" more in Eco mode. When I get into a situation where I need to quickly get around trucks I switch to Polestar mode.
      2020 XC40 R Design T5 Polestar, bursting blue, July 2019
      2015 V60 T5, crystal pearl, platinum/tech/BLIS, July 2015
      2012 XC60 R Design, electric silver, off-black, platinum/climate/tech/BLIS, OSD in Nov 2011
      2004 XC90 2.5T, silver, OSD in Oct 2003

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements