XC90 griping thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 63
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      12

      XC90 griping thread

      Hi All,
      I am new to the forums, and a new XC90 owner--just bought a low-mileage 2019 T6 Momentum. I like many things about the car, but there are several things I don't like. Admittedly I am still getting used to the car, and maybe some of my gripes are just because I haven't figured things out yet. Just want to put them out there in hopes others may have suggestions or work-arounds. So, in no particular order...

      --Interior storage space...it seems woefully inadequate and poorly thought out. There is very little storage space (at least compared to my prior vehicles), it's not very useful, and it's even dangerous (read on). First, this is 2020 and everyone has a cell phone. Where do you put it? I can't find anywhere that's a good fit and allows me to glance at my phone if needed. Second, if you are using both cup holders between the front seats, there is virtually no room for anything else. And what is that little storage area at the top of the console (just above the gear shift) with the sliding cover? This is way too small to hold much of anything. I don't see why they didn't make it larger by using more of the space under the display screen, or just eliminate it altogether. And perhaps worst of all, the power outlet in the center console is poorly placed (it takes up precious storage space) and it's very dangerous. I used it to charge a cell phone and forgot to replace the little plastic plug. Shortly after I noticed sparking--the charge cable end had worked its way into the socket and was arcing--not good. Why not move this thing out of the way, and put a flip cover on it so you don't have to keep up with the plastic plug? Seems you are guaranteed to lose or misplace the plug eventually, leaving the risk of sparks should something fall into the socket. Dumb design.

      --Trailer hitch. This is an SUV, and it's rated for towing. Where is the hitch? No problem, the dealer can install it for the low price of $2400, leaving a nice ugly cut-out covered by an even uglier cover. Or you can install an aftermarket hitch that hangs very low below the bumper, and also requires cutting and/or drilling. Has anyone found a better solution that doesn't break the bank or ruin the look of the rear end? I like the Invisihitch, but it also (apparently) requires drilling, and it is not cheap.

      --Clothes hooks. They are tiny (room for only one hanger) and they are mounted under the courtesy handle so they are very difficult to access. Who designed this, and why do they still have a job?

      --Climate control. Has anyone figured this out? I have seen forum posts about how difficult it is to put it in full auto mode, and I still haven't figured it out. Auto mode doesn't seem to put the fan into auto mode (only the temperature), but there is supposedly some super secret way to do it involving pressing the button and holding it? I've tried, but I still can't get the fan to operate automatically. And the owners manual is absolutely no help on this. In practically every other vehicle in the world with auto climate, you simply set the temp, and the fan speed and modes (heat, cool, defrost) will operate and adjust automatically to maintain the set temp. Am I missing something here?

      --Satellite radio. The user interface is very frustrating, and it's dangerous. I have always set my presets such that they are near other stations I like, so I simply hit the preset then go up or down to check out other channels. For example, I set one preset to the 80's channel, and from there I could use the steering wheel button to go up or down to get to the other decades (70's, 90's etc.). Or I set the classic rock channel as a preset, then navigate up or down to the other classic rock channels. Same for jazz, sports, news, etc. So here is what I have to do in the Volvo--I first have to press "favorites" button and press a channel favorite. To go up or down one channel, I have to hit the "library" button, then hit the "all channels" button, and only then can I use the steering wheel button to move up or down. Or worse, if I'm on a preset channel and want to go to a random (non-favorite) channel, I have to hit the library button, then the channel list button, then scroll (what could be many pages) to get to the desired channel. This requires a lot of eye contact and a hand off the wheel--very dangerous. Also very frustrating is that the screen does not automatically scroll as you move up or down the channel list using the steering wheel button. So you have to manually scroll the screen (again taking your eyes off the road and one hand off the steering wheel) to see what channel you're on. Not good.

      --Sun/moon roof cover. It has to be all the way open before the glass will open? I may want to simply crack the glass a few inches and leave the cover in place over the rest of the sunroof. Nope, apparently I can't do that. Why not?

      --The rear seat cup holders are in the center fold-down. If there are 3 passengers in the rear, where do they put their drinks? Sorry, you have to hold them for the entire trip.

      --The owners manual is often cryptic and not much help. Example--I apparently hit the interior light switch such that they didn't come on when the doors open, although I didn't even know where the switch was located. Easy enough--just check the owner's manual, right? Quick all you XC90 owners, go get your owner's manual and try to find it. Here's a hint--you won't find "interior lighting" or "lighting--interior" in the index. Give up? There it is...under "automatic lighting controls--passenger compartment". Duh, of course!

      --No USB ports in the back where the kids need to constantly charge their phones/tablets? No audio input jack?


      Apologies for the long post. I want to love this car, and granted some of the above are relatively little things. But considered together they are very frustrating at times, and they even make me question whether I want to keep this vehicle. Would love to hear about any solutions to the above, or if you have additional gripes feel free to add them to the list.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      18
      I have a 2019 XC90 Inscription. Regarding the tow hitch, I just had a Stealth Hitch bike hitch (no towing) installed. The hitch was $550 and installation at a Rack store was $350. The thing is sweet. The installer only needs to trim a bit of the gravel cover behind the bumper and there is no drilling. Completely invisible until you attached the hitch module when needed.

      I agree with the climate control and Satellite Radio comments -- frustrating.

    4. #3
      Member Papa_Kirlo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2003
      Location
      Boston
      Posts
      3,401
      Just curious what was your previous vechicle/vehicles?
      welcome to SS btw
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      For internal storage, they are moving in the right direction with XC40, and I agree it is like a second thought. I also lamented why there was no hitch coming as part of the vehicle as well. Especially now they do have the Volvo own invisible hitch module available. It is a shame they charge this much while not providing the hitch. USB ports are not that much a problem for us but not having one in the back rows seems pretty lame.

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2019
      Posts
      35
      I was under the impression that an after market tow hitch is not compatible with the XC90, with its folding mechanism ; was i incorrect?

    8. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Kirlo View Post
      Just curious what was your previous vechicle/vehicles?
      welcome to SS btw
      Dodge Durango, and before that a Jeep Grand Cherokee. And many years ago I had a Saab 900S, when they were still a good-looking car (before they redesigned it to look like a Nissan or Toyota). So I do have some experience with Swedish cars--I loved that Saab.

      Thanks all for the replies. Jchen, thanks for the info about the bike hitch. That is mostly why I need a hitch, but I do sometimes need to haul a trailer. So I don't know how I will solve that issue. Seems crazy to plunk down $1000+ just for a tow hitch, but I've probably done crazier things in my life, haha.

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      731
      We have a MY2019T8i.
      Quote Originally Posted by arbync View Post
      First, this is 2020 and everyone has a cell phone. Where do you put it?
      I'm guessing being a Volvo, there is purposefully no place to put the phone so the driver gets distracted . . . That said, I got a magnetic vent mount (then place a magnetic ring between my phone and phone case) so I can see my phone (Google Maps, Google Music, YouTube, etc) while i drive.

      Quote Originally Posted by arbync View Post
      And what is that little storage area at the top of the console (just above the gear shift) with the sliding cover?
      Place to hold loose change, spare diamonds, gold nuggets, sapphires, and rubies . . .
      Quote Originally Posted by arbync View Post
      the power outlet in the center console is poorly placed (it takes up precious storage space) and it's very dangerous. I used it to charge a cell phone and forgot to replace the little plastic plug.
      i leave a car adapter dual (or heck, quad) USB plug in there all the time. No electrical shock or sparking problems.
      Quote Originally Posted by arbync View Post
      Has anyone found a better solution that doesn't break the bank or ruin the look of the rear end? I like the Invisihitch, but it also (apparently) requires drilling, and it is not cheap.
      https://stealthhitches.com
      Quote Originally Posted by arbync View Post
      --Sun/moon roof cover. It has to be all the way open before the glass will open? I may want to simply crack the glass a few inches and leave the cover in place over the rest of the sunroof.
      The fabric sun cover can be completely closed while the glass can be tilted (but not fully slid back) open. The switch has various positions and is not conducive to "fat-fingering" it.
      Quote Originally Posted by arbync View Post
      --No USB ports in the back where the kids need to constantly charge their phones/tablets?
      Place a dual (or heck, a quad) USB charger in the car plug adapter - at least I have one at the back of the front seat island, maybe you don't? Frankly I'm glad Volvo did not place a USB charger there so I can have the option to plug whatever the heck I want into the car plug adapters (like a DC/AC converter to run my table saw or compound miter saw) and am not constrained to dinky one-use USB ports!
      Quote Originally Posted by arbync View Post
      But considered together they are very frustrating at times, and they even make me question whether I want to keep this vehicle.
      It is unfortunate to hear you have these pains!
      Last edited by likeXC90; 02-05-2020 at 09:16 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      Westchester NY
      Posts
      62
      This is going to sound rude, but did you have an extensive test drive as well as reading the manual prior to making your purchase? Seems like these grips could have been discovered before you bought the car. Just a thought.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

    11. #9
      I’ve yet to have a car come with a good place for the cellphone. But go ahead and add one. Pro clip:




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    12. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2019
      Posts
      18
      StealthHitch also offers a tow version of the hitch -- a few hundred dollars more. I know $1000 for a bike hitch is expensive but we would have paid more than that to have the factory hitch installed (with the ugly bumper cutout).

      I forgot my biggest gripe. Squeaking/squealing brakes when coming to a slow stop. I know this isn't a problem with every XC90 but there are many videos of this problem if you look on Youtube. My car has been at the dealership for 4 weeks and then 3 weeks. The first time they replaced my pads and rotors under warranty - car only had 5000 miles on it. The second time they said they couldn't do anything about it and to just live with it (the squealing started up again a week after the new brakes/rotors were put on). For a car with an MSRP just shy of $70k, do we really have to hear squealing brakes every time we come to a stop? Kinda embarrassing that it happens when you pull up to a valet, drop kids off at school, etc. Anyway, I have a formal claim into Volvo USA. They asked me to send them videos of the squealing which I did. Still waiting to see if they will do anything for me.

    13. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by Keith22 View Post
      I was under the impression that an after market tow hitch is not compatible with the XC90, with its folding mechanism ; was i incorrect?
      By "folding mechanism", are you referring to the crash crumple zones? Yes, that is a problem with after-market hitches--they are rigid across the entire rear so it does compromise the crumple zones. I learned elsewhere on this forum that Invisihitch recently did a redesign such that it has crumple zones that align with the XC90's. Way cool, but also way pricey.

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      12
      likeXC90, thanks for the tips and photos. Yes, I did plug a USB adapter into the rear seat power outlet, and you are correct that it's nice to have power there. But you'd think the designers of a $60,000 vehicle would have thought to put couple of USB outlets alongside it.

      2020XC90T8, you have a point about the test drive, but I am much more focused on things like drive feel, lines of sight, seat comfort, etc. No way I could have discovered that the auto climate mode does not automatically changed the fan speed, or that the satellite radio is so clunky to use. And seriously, who reads the owners manual during a test drive? Besides, none of my gripes would be listed there anyway.

    15. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      33
      after 60 days of ownership, I would add few more small ones:
      - TuneIn doesn't work
      - Homelink that can't be programmed using all instructions known to homo sapiens (YouTube, car manual, this forum, homelink site, the openers manual, etc). It just cant be done, despite the fact that the opener is 4-5 years old and my other cars had no problems with it
      - the trunk door can't be open with the kicking motion, unless you have time for 10 attempts.
      - the front passenger net pocket is available accessory according to the VCNA site, but no dealer can find it, much less sell it.
      2019 XC90 R Design Polestar

    16. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      33
      just thought of another one: wasted space between the tach and speedometer. Instead of "option" to display nothing they could have programmed a real option to show the trip data, like Mercedes does if for example. And on top of it all, despite all those sq in of display no engine temperature gage??

      This is just plain stupid, b/c it literarily has no cost to Volvo, but could add the difference.
      2019 XC90 R Design Polestar

    17. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Posts
      14
      I just bought 2019 XC90 last month. Not sure if this was discussed in any earlier forum posts, but I discovered that you can control the climate including seat warmer using hands free. No need to fiddle with screen while driving.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    18. #16
      Member Seti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Afrique du Sud
      Posts
      1,394
      Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      We have a MY2019T8i.I'm guessing being a Volvo, there is purposefully no place to put the phone so the driver gets distracted . . . That said, I got a magnetic vent mount (then place a magnetic ring between my phone and phone case) so I can see my phone (Google Maps, Google Music, etc) while i drive.

      Place to hold loose change, spare diamonds, gold nuggets, sapphires, and rubies . . .
      i leave a car adapter dual (or heck, quad) USB plug in there all the time. No electrical shock or sparking problems.
      https://stealthhitches.comThe fabric sun cover can be completely closed while the glass can be tilted (but not fully slid back) open. The switch has various positions and is not conducive to "fat-fingering" it. Place a dual (or heck, a quad) USB charger in the car plug adapter - at least I have one at the back of the front seat island, maybe you don't? Frankly I'm glad Volvo did not place a USB charger there so I can have the option to plug whatever the heck I want into the car plug adapters (like a DC/AC converter to run my table saw or compound miter saw) and am not constrained to dinky one-use USB ports!It is unfortunate to hear you have these pains!
      I like your sense of humor and realism

      Further to my humorous friend's input, @Arbync to note the following:

      - Once front cupholders are used, driver can use side door pocket to store many other things. There's also a secret door under the steering wheel for sunglasses or wallet or cellphone. You can even make use of the big glovebox to store other things. It's cooled too, so your stuff won't suffer from heatwave/ burn.

      - Rear passengers mustn't bring their drinks in open cups, but closed lid cups or bottles or cans and they too can use the door's side pockets. It's only the plonk sitting in the middle who'll need to either ask the side passengers to serve him/ her or hold the drink till finished.

      - Trailer hitch: It wasn't added by default and that's probably why you chose Volvo cause it's cheaper than its competitors yet has more tech speccs. Even when you add the cost of the optional OEM hitch, it'll still be cheaper than many of its competitors. Not a big deal really

      - Hitch cut out: It is subtle and can be done nicely if done by a professional. You won't even notice it, unless you look under. I have OEM semi auto one installed and the cut out isn't noticeable. I see it only when I'm on my knees and looking under. Some installers know what their doing heh!

      - Clothes hooks: You can use the handle bars then for your many clothes on hangers, as many vehicles have their hooks just next to those handle bars anyway. You could also use the massive boot space to place your suit or plastic covered clothes in hangers there. A boot grip mat can be purchased from any hardware store cheaply if you don't want them moving around. But if you have many clothes on hangers, isn't it easier to put them in a large suitcase and neatly tuck them in?

      - Climate control: Press and hold for a longish while, then fan will default to 3 bars initially and put it on auto. The vehicle will then try to maintain set temperature. You'll see as you use your car regularly that when you adjust the temperature, fan speed changes too. The higher the difference between the temp set and outside temp, the higher the fan speed and "noise" thereof to indicate it's working in auto mode.

      - Interior light switch: There's Auto button next to the sunroof. So long as that button is lit when the vehicle is on, lights will auto come on/ off as you unlock/ lock, open the door/ boot, switchcoff/ on the vehicle etc.

      - No audio input jack: Volvo has a much better proposition for all its occupants. They can all add their devices to bluetooth. This is even better than in many cars where they limit the number of bkuetooth connected devices to 4. Volvo can have 7 or more also and others can be connected directly to dual USB ports and directly accessed through the relevant App. And all you'll need if they want to play Bkuetooth connected devices is choose Bluetooth Audio and switch to the player's device and wallah! Both the player and the driver will be able to select tracks to play, the user by manipulating their phone and driver through Sensus or even steering controls. Much better and more year 2020 smartness than an audio jack with wires going all over! World's going digital now. No more wires tangling around. And the dual USB charger or even a hub at the back there can keep rear passenger phones charged up. Easy peasy

      - Frustration and wondering if it's worth keeping: Well, are you always having a full house when you drive your car because TBH, many of the issues you raised aren't even applicable when driving alone, or with fewer passengers. Maybe your issue is you bought Momentum and wished to have higher specs like in Inscription or RDesign or that you perhaps don't have a Volvo but are trolling us or that you do have it, but are generally an unhappy person and Volvo happens to unveil your unhappiness. In which case, you may need to be grateful to Volvo for unearthing your inner challenges for which consultation with a professional may be of great help to you. No?

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

    19. #17
      Member Seti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Afrique du Sud
      Posts
      1,394
      Quote Originally Posted by arbync View Post
      likeXC90, thanks for the tips and photos. Yes, I did plug a USB adapter into the rear seat power outlet, and you are correct that it's nice to have power there. But you'd think the designers of a $60,000 vehicle would have thought to put couple of USB outlets alongside it.

      2020XC90T8, you have a point about the test drive, but I am much more focused on things like drive feel, lines of sight, seat comfort, etc. No way I could have discovered that the auto climate mode does not automatically changed the fan speed, or that the satellite radio is so clunky to use. And seriously, who reads the owners manual during a test drive? Besides, none of my gripes would be listed there anyway.
      They could have added those 2 subs alongside those and the extra charge would still be closer to the $60K price tag and still beat competition.

      Kids at the back dont care where the USB to charge is located, so long as they can charge. Having dual usb charger can meet their needs

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

    20. #18
      Member Seti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Afrique du Sud
      Posts
      1,394
      Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fan View Post
      after 60 days of ownership, I would add few more small ones:
      - the trunk door can't be open with the kicking motion, unless you have time for 10 attempts.
      Mine works first time and has been doing this since 2016! It never fails. Trick is to enaure:

      - Your remote batteries are working fine
      - Your remote can be sensed easily and is not stored in obscure or highly shielded and padded places like handbags etc
      - You simply stand towards the left hand side of the rear and between the exhaust and towbar area, you give your car a simple kick as if kicking a ball instantly to a 4 year old. Itll open just like that! No need to slide or swipe foot sideways, or stand on one foot looking like a fool moving your foot around. Just one simple kick as if you're kicking the ball to pass it upwards. You'll see the beauty of this magnificent addition and you'll never look back. I use it always and have never been disappointed

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

    21. #19
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      731
      Quote Originally Posted by arbync View Post
      But you'd think the designers of a $60,000 vehicle would have thought to put couple of USB outlets alongside it.
      USA Amazon $14.99 but yes, it does stick out . . .
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

    22. #20
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post

      - Trailer hitch: It wasn't added by default and that's probably why you chose Volvo cause it's cheaper than its competitors yet has more tech speccs. Even when you add the cost of the optional OEM hitch, it'll still be cheaper than many of its competitors. Not a big deal really

      - Hitch cut out: It is subtle and can be done nicely if done by a professional. You won't even notice it, unless you look under. I have OEM semi auto one installed and the cut out isn't noticeable. I see it only when I'm on my knees and looking under. Some installers know what their doing heh!

      - Clothes hooks: You can use the handle bars then for your many clothes on hangers, as many vehicles have their hooks just next to those handle bars anyway. You could also use the massive boot space to place your suit or plastic covered clothes in hangers there. A boot grip mat can be purchased from any hardware store cheaply if you don't want them moving around. But if you have many clothes on hangers, isn't it easier to put them in a large suitcase and neatly tuck them in?

      - No audio input jack: Volvo has a much better proposition for all its occupants. They can all add their devices to bluetooth. This is even better than in many cars where they limit the number of bkuetooth connected devices to 4. Volvo can have 7 or more also and others can be connected directly to dual USB ports and directly accessed through the relevant App. And all you'll need if they want to play Bkuetooth connected devices is choose Bluetooth Audio and switch to the player's device and wallah! Both the player and the driver will be able to select tracks to play, the user by manipulating their phone and driver through Sensus or even steering controls. Much better and more year 2020 smartness than an audio jack with wires going all over! World's going digital now. No more wires tangling around. And the dual USB charger or even a hub at the back there can keep rear passenger phones charged up. Easy peasy

      - Frustration and wondering if it's worth keeping: Well, are you always having a full house when you drive your car because TBH, many of the issues you raised aren't even applicable when driving alone, or with fewer passengers. Maybe your issue is you bought Momentum and wished to have higher specs like in Inscription or RDesign or that you perhaps don't have a Volvo but are trolling us or that you do have it, but are generally an unhappy person and Volvo happens to unveil your unhappiness. In which case, you may need to be grateful to Volvo for unearthing your inner challenges for which consultation with a professional may be of great help to you. No?

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      Seti, thanks for your comments. Do you like working for Volvo? It seems only an employee, or someone who has a perverted fetish for their car, would try to defend some of the moronic design issues raised here. Come on, an SUV rated for towing, but installing a hitch is so complicated and costly? I get that it can be done, but it means either altering the look of the rear end, or paying out the nose for a hidden solution (which, by the way, still requires modifications to the vehicle). There is no defense for this, IMO.

      Seriously, a power outlet pointed upward, smack in the middle of a storage area where one would expect keys, coins, and other metal objects to be placed, and no one thought about the risk of metal falling into the socket? This is dumb, and dangerous.

      Yes, the clothes hooks are a relatively minor issue, but it speaks volumes about the design team's attention to detail. Anyone with half a brain would look at that and say "Wait a minute, this makes no sense to block the hooks with the handle". I usually don't carry a lot of clothes, but very often I have a couple of shirts or a jacket on a hanger. And yes, I could just lay them down as you suggest, but that's not the point. The point is they offer a half-assed tiny hook that is blocked by a courtesy handle, clearly with little thought behind it.

      And yes, the audio jack is a small issue, and yes I know bluetooth is there, but I have a couple of unique applications. I am a musician, and with an audio jack I can connect a travel guitar or small keyboard, so traveling to gigs we can work on vocal harmonies or chord changes. And believe it or not, some people still have their old style music players that don't have bluetooth capabilities. So probably not an issue for most people, but installing a 20 cent audio jack in an out of the way spot would do Volvo no harm.

      And regarding this comment:
      "Frustration and wondering if it's worth keeping: Well, are you always having a full house when you drive your car because TBH, many of the issues you raised aren't even applicable when driving alone, or with fewer passengers. Maybe your issue is you bought Momentum and wished to have higher specs like in Inscription or RDesign or that you perhaps don't have a Volvo but are trolling us or that you do have it, but are generally an unhappy person and Volvo happens to unveil your unhappiness. In which case, you may need to be grateful to Volvo for unearthing your inner challenges for which consultation with a professional may be of great help to you. No?"

      I am quite comfortable with the size of my penis, so I don't need an Inscription or RDesign to feel good about myself. Besides, those vehicles have the same issues so upgrading would not help. And I am not an unhappy person at all; I just have little patience for corporate idiocy, like the design flaws we're talking about here. You should take off your Volvo blinders sometimes--it will help you to see better. Then perhaps you could use your work connections to inform the design team that they should pull their heads out of their asses. I do love the look of the car, and many other things about it, if that makes you feel better about yourself. But like most vehicles, it's not perfect. Someone needs to tell that to your bosses. Hope you have a great day! :-)

    23. #21
      Member inteller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Tulsa, OK
      Posts
      8,342
      Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      a hahaha, is that really your phone? Do you also use Windows XP as your daily PC?
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

    24. #22
      Member Seti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Afrique du Sud
      Posts
      1,394
      Quote Originally Posted by arbync View Post
      You should take off your Volvo blinders sometimes--it will help you to see better.
      You needed this advise more than I do when you purchased your Volvo. I was wide awake and that's why I'm at peace with it

      You mention guitars etc and it shows these are more important to you, but never, for once, catered for your unique needs. Who was wearing blinkers then?

      Buyers remorse is a medically accepted and treatable condition

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

    25. #23
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2016
      Posts
      41
      Kind of after thought but this little pocket i added between center console and driver seat is where I keep my phone and other stuff




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    26. #24
      Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2018
      Location
      D.C. Metro Region
      Posts
      1,111
      Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      a hahaha, is that really your phone? Do you also use Windows XP as your daily PC?
      I was about to say the same thing. Where the hell did you find that relic? Is that your daily driver - if so, how long have you been a drug dealer?
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

    27. #25
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      UK
      Posts
      410
      I came from a Dodge Durango as well. No buyers remorse here. Very happy with both of mine.
      __________________________________________________ ____________

      Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

    28. #26
      Member inteller's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Tulsa, OK
      Posts
      8,342
      Well yeah, that would be like moving from South Sudan to America!

      Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

    29. #27
      Member drmanny3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Santa Barbara, CA, USA
      Posts
      1,020
      Quote Originally Posted by arbync View Post
      Hi All,
      I am new to the forums, and a new XC90 owner--just bought a low-mileage 2019 T6 Momentum. I like many things about the car, but there are several things I don't like. Admittedly I am still getting used to the car, and maybe some of my gripes are just because I haven't figured things out yet. Just want to put them out there in hopes others may have suggestions or work-arounds. So, in no particular order...

      --Interior storage space...it seems woefully inadequate and poorly thought out. There is very little storage space (at least compared to my prior vehicles), it's not very useful, and it's even dangerous (read on). First, this is 2020 and everyone has a cell phone. Where do you put it? I can't find anywhere that's a good fit and allows me to glance at my phone if needed. Second, if you are using both cup holders between the front seats, there is virtually no room for anything else. And what is that little storage area at the top of the console (just above the gear shift) with the sliding cover? This is way too small to hold much of anything. I don't see why they didn't make it larger by using more of the space under the display screen, or just eliminate it altogether. And perhaps worst of all, the power outlet in the center console is poorly placed (it takes up precious storage space) and it's very dangerous. I used it to charge a cell phone and forgot to replace the little plastic plug. Shortly after I noticed sparking--the charge cable end had worked its way into the socket and was arcing--not good. Why not move this thing out of the way, and put a flip cover on it so you don't have to keep up with the plastic plug? Seems you are guaranteed to lose or misplace the plug eventually, leaving the risk of sparks should something fall into the socket. Dumb design.

      --Trailer hitch. This is an SUV, and it's rated for towing. Where is the hitch? No problem, the dealer can install it for the low price of $2400, leaving a nice ugly cut-out covered by an even uglier cover. Or you can install an aftermarket hitch that hangs very low below the bumper, and also requires cutting and/or drilling. Has anyone found a better solution that doesn't break the bank or ruin the look of the rear end? I like the Invisihitch, but it also (apparently) requires drilling, and it is not cheap.

      --Clothes hooks. They are tiny (room for only one hanger) and they are mounted under the courtesy handle so they are very difficult to access. Who designed this, and why do they still have a job?

      --Climate control. Has anyone figured this out? I have seen forum posts about how difficult it is to put it in full auto mode, and I still haven't figured it out. Auto mode doesn't seem to put the fan into auto mode (only the temperature), but there is supposedly some super secret way to do it involving pressing the button and holding it? I've tried, but I still can't get the fan to operate automatically. And the owners manual is absolutely no help on this. In practically every other vehicle in the world with auto climate, you simply set the temp, and the fan speed and modes (heat, cool, defrost) will operate and adjust automatically to maintain the set temp. Am I missing something here?

      --Satellite radio. The user interface is very frustrating, and it's dangerous. I have always set my presets such that they are near other stations I like, so I simply hit the preset then go up or down to check out other channels. For example, I set one preset to the 80's channel, and from there I could use the steering wheel button to go up or down to get to the other decades (70's, 90's etc.). Or I set the classic rock channel as a preset, then navigate up or down to the other classic rock channels. Same for jazz, sports, news, etc. So here is what I have to do in the Volvo--I first have to press "favorites" button and press a channel favorite. To go up or down one channel, I have to hit the "library" button, then hit the "all channels" button, and only then can I use the steering wheel button to move up or down. Or worse, if I'm on a preset channel and want to go to a random (non-favorite) channel, I have to hit the library button, then the channel list button, then scroll (what could be many pages) to get to the desired channel. This requires a lot of eye contact and a hand off the wheel--very dangerous. Also very frustrating is that the screen does not automatically scroll as you move up or down the channel list using the steering wheel button. So you have to manually scroll the screen (again taking your eyes off the road and one hand off the steering wheel) to see what channel you're on. Not good.

      --Sun/moon roof cover. It has to be all the way open before the glass will open? I may want to simply crack the glass a few inches and leave the cover in place over the rest of the sunroof. Nope, apparently I can't do that. Why not?

      --The rear seat cup holders are in the center fold-down. If there are 3 passengers in the rear, where do they put their drinks? Sorry, you have to hold them for the entire trip.

      --The owners manual is often cryptic and not much help. Example--I apparently hit the interior light switch such that they didn't come on when the doors open, although I didn't even know where the switch was located. Easy enough--just check the owner's manual, right? Quick all you XC90 owners, go get your owner's manual and try to find it. Here's a hint--you won't find "interior lighting" or "lighting--interior" in the index. Give up? There it is...under "automatic lighting controls--passenger compartment". Duh, of course!

      --No USB ports in the back where the kids need to constantly charge their phones/tablets? No audio input jack?


      Apologies for the long post. I want to love this car, and granted some of the above are relatively little things. But considered together they are very frustrating at times, and they even make me question whether I want to keep this vehicle. Would love to hear about any solutions to the above, or if you have additional gripes feel free to add them to the list.
      Welcome to the family?
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

    30. #28
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      125
      volvo trailer hitches for the xc90 are now folding type, they are not cheap but they do not require the same amount of cutting and do not get a cover when done.
      https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-517508/2019
      WARNING, NOT GOOD FOR SOME BIKE RACKS. THEY LIST MAX CAPACITY WHEN USED WITH VOLVO BIKE RACK AT 2 BICYCLES

    31. #29
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Posts
      14
      Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      Mine works first time and has been doing this since 2016! It never fails. Trick is to enaure:

      - Your remote batteries are working fine
      - Your remote can be sensed easily and is not stored in obscure or highly shielded and padded places like handbags etc
      - You simply stand towards the left hand side of the rear and between the exhaust and towbar area, you give your car a simple kick as if kicking a ball instantly to a 4 year old. Itll open just like that! No need to slide or swipe foot sideways, or stand on one foot looking like a fool moving your foot around. Just one simple kick as if you're kicking the ball to pass it upwards. You'll see the beauty of this magnificent addition and you'll never look back. I use it always and have never been disappointed

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      The key to get this to work is kick and take a step back. If you kick and stay there the trunk will NOT open. This is by design to prevent trunk lid hits people when opening. I couldn’t get it to work but after watching their videos couple of times I got it to work 100% of time now.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    32. #30
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      143
      Quote Originally Posted by drzdbd View Post



      May I ask where you got this? I like!

    33. #31
      Junior Member taofen_wang's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2015
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      581
      Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      You needed this advise more than I do when you purchased your Volvo. I was wide awake and that's why I'm at peace with it

      You mention guitars etc and it shows these are more important to you, but never, for once, catered for your unique needs. Who was wearing blinkers then?

      Buyers remorse is a medically accepted and treatable condition

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      +100


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription

    34. #32
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2018
      Location
      Lewisberry Penn
      Posts
      514
      First, I would schedule a time to go back to your sales person and have them go over these... frankly many of them should have been covered at point of delivery. Sorry they didn't give you a good overview of your car.

      --Trailer hitch. This is an SUV, and it's rated for towing. Where is the hitch? No problem, the dealer can install it for the low price of $2400, leaving a nice ugly cut-out covered by an even uglier cover. Or you can install an aftermarket hitch that hangs very low below the bumper, and also requires cutting and/or drilling. Has anyone found a better solution that doesn't break the bank or ruin the look of the rear end? I like the Invisihitch, but it also (apparently) requires drilling, and it is not cheap.

      Most nicely mounted receivers in this class require cutting. That's been the norm for awhile. If you want the nice hide away Volvo one it'll do the job, if you want to save some money, get an aftermarket one. I don't understand this complaint, other than not wanting to pay.

      --Clothes hooks. They are tiny (room for only one hanger) and they are mounted under the courtesy handle so they are very difficult to access. Who designed this, and why do they still have a job?

      As your parts counter, they sell hooks that you can put in the accessory holes up by the lights in the headliner.

      --Climate control. Has anyone figured this out? I have seen forum posts about how difficult it is to put it in full auto mode, and I still haven't figured it out. Auto mode doesn't seem to put the fan into auto mode (only the temperature), but there is supposedly some super secret way to do it involving pressing the button and holding it? I've tried, but I still can't get the fan to operate automatically. And the owners manual is absolutely no help on this. In practically every other vehicle in the world with auto climate, you simply set the temp, and the fan speed and modes (heat, cool, defrost) will operate and adjust automatically to maintain the set temp. Am I missing something here?


      Climate is pretty easy I think. I do know if you change the area where the air is blowing that cancels the auto fan... for full auto, you just leave all of the settings black and select your fan speed. I think you just have a feet, or body, or head direction setting set, and that overrides the auto.

      --Satellite radio. The user interface is very frustrating, and it's dangerous. I have always set my presets such that they are near other stations I like, so I simply hit the preset then go up or down to check out other channels. For example, I set one preset to the 80's channel, and from there I could use the steering wheel button to go up or down to get to the other decades (70's, 90's etc.). Or I set the classic rock channel as a preset, then navigate up or down to the other classic rock channels. Same for jazz, sports, news, etc. So here is what I have to do in the Volvo--I first have to press "favorites" button and press a channel favorite. To go up or down one channel, I have to hit the "library" button, then hit the "all channels" button, and only then can I use the steering wheel button to move up or down. Or worse, if I'm on a preset channel and want to go to a random (non-favorite) channel, I have to hit the library button, then the channel list button, then scroll (what could be many pages) to get to the desired channel. This requires a lot of eye contact and a hand off the wheel--very dangerous. Also very frustrating is that the screen does not automatically scroll as you move up or down the channel list using the steering wheel button. So you have to manually scroll the screen (again taking your eyes off the road and one hand off the steering wheel) to see what channel you're on. Not good.

      Try using the radio favorites. I don't touch the radio at all while driving. I set all my favs for AM FM and Sat and use the radio favs option. I then sort the full list of frequencies to a logical order and then can use my steering wheel controls. You do have to go to the library as you're describing, then select favorites and select a station from that list... once you do that, the buttons on the steering wheel will shift ONLY through your favorites. If you are in all channels and select a station there, the steering wheel will go through ever stinkin station. It does work very well, but I do admit it to being the least intuitive part of the system. Once you understand it, it does make sense though.

      --Sun/moon roof cover. It has to be all the way open before the glass will open? I may want to simply crack the glass a few inches and leave the cover in place over the rest of the sunroof. Nope, apparently I can't do that. Why not?

      You can't have the roof open normal and the shade cracked because too much air would push in and damage the cover. However, if you just push up on the rear it will open the shade just a few inches and put the window in vent mode. I think this will accomplish your objective

      --The rear seat cup holders are in the center fold-down. If there are 3 passengers in the rear, where do they put their drinks? Sorry, you have to hold them for the entire trip.

      In the doors the outer seats have space.. Most cars that have cup holders in the center console only have two... so the third person is screwed from the moment they are stuck sitting in the smallest seat.

      --The owners manual is often cryptic and not much help. Example--I apparently hit the interior light switch such that they didn't come on when the doors open, although I didn't even know where the switch was located. Easy enough--just check the owner's manual, right? Quick all you XC90 owners, go get your owner's manual and try to find it. Here's a hint--you won't find "interior lighting" or "lighting--interior" in the index. Give up? There it is...under "automatic lighting controls--passenger compartment". Duh, of course!

      When you say it like that, it is easy to see how they would think it made sense =-P

      --No USB ports in the back where the kids need to constantly charge their phones/tablets? No audio input jack?[/QUOTE]

      Just get a $3 USB adapter. Problem solved. No audio jacks... in a car Bluetooth is generally more than suitable quality. You can use the USB if you have better quality files.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

    35. #33
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      Westchester NY
      Posts
      62
      I bought this and will be installing it when I take delivery shortly.

      https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Char...s%2C382&sr=8-3
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

    36. #34
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      731
      Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      I like your sense of humor and realism
      Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
      a hahaha, is that really your phone? Do you also use Windows XP as your daily PC?
      Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDancer View Post
      I was about to say the same thing. Where the hell did you find that relic? Is that your daily driver - if so, how long have you been a drug dealer?
      Thanks!
      Great - y'all outted me and blew my drug dealer cover right here on Swedespeed.com because I mistakenly exposed one of my many bling-bling burner phones vent-mounted in my alleged kid-moving pimpin' performance / luxury minivan . . .
      -Sent from my Windows 3.1 machine
      Last edited by likeXC90; 01-31-2020 at 08:59 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

    37. #35
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      33
      Quote Originally Posted by sevusal View Post
      The key to get this to work is kick and take a step back. If you kick and stay there the trunk will NOT open. This is by design to prevent trunk lid hits people when opening. I couldn’t get it to work but after watching their videos couple of times I got it to work 100% of time now.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Seti View Post
      Mine works first time and has been doing this since 2016! It never fails. Trick is to enaure:

      - Your remote batteries are working fine
      - Your remote can be sensed easily and is not stored in obscure or highly shielded and padded places like handbags etc
      - You simply stand towards the left hand side of the rear and between the exhaust and towbar area, you give your car a simple kick as if kicking a ball instantly to a 4 year old. Itll open just like that! No need to slide or swipe foot sideways, or stand on one foot looking like a fool moving your foot around. Just one simple kick as if you're kicking the ball to pass it upwards. You'll see the beauty of this magnificent addition and you'll never look back. I use it always and have never been disappointed

      Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      thanks guys, will give this a shot.
      2019 XC90 R Design Polestar

    38. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Updated thread of weird noise: SCRATCH OTHER THREAD PLEASE!
      By BlackS402.5turbo in forum S40 & V50 (2005-2012)
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 02-06-2020, 03:44 PM
    2. Replies: 577
      Last Post: 06-25-2018, 03:33 PM
    3. Replies: 62
      Last Post: 04-30-2009, 06:48 AM
    4. Replies: 4
      Last Post: 08-01-2005, 05:56 PM
    5. As the thread is locked... (moderator thread discussion)
      By Svenske Racing in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 06-18-2005, 04:09 PM