Accessory stainless steel skid plate
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Decided to pick up the accessory aluminum skid plate (part # 31399006 ). For a non-4x4 off-roaders, this thing is fairly substantial. It also definitely has some weight to it!

And sure, it's a piece of laser cut metal with a slight bend in it, so it's not super complex, but with the NACA ducts it is a well constructed piece.

Will hopefully be going on this coming Monday.

*Edit* I originally said that it's stainless steel, but misspoke. It is aluminum. *Edit*
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by nbvolks; 02-01-2020 at 08:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That is an impressive piece of steel! Going to install it yourself?

Looks like a great idea to protect the oil sump from road damage. How much did it cost?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
      Looks like a great idea to protect the oil sump from road damage. How much did it cost?
      Sure could have used this when I drove over a rock my snowplow guy left in a pile of snow in the middle of the driveway. The sump replacement was $1400.00 which probably exceeds the cost of this piece.

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
      That is an impressive piece of steel! Going to install it yourself?
      Normally, yes, but the car goes in on Monday for 10k service and I also do not have the correct rivnut tool the installation instructions call for, so just easier to have the dealer install.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike999 View Post
      Can be had from $310-400 depending on where you buy it.

I'm wondering if I can purchase one at the factory when we pick-up our new V90 CC in July?

I'm wondering if I can purchase one at the factory when we pick-up our new V90 CC in July?
      I don't see why not. You should see about having it added to your build sheet, so it's done and ready before you get there. Looks like the part number may have changed for MY20 though. Take a look in this link.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...0AWD/Automatic

A bit of Google searching seems to show that the newer, revised, part number has the skid plate with the NACA ducts stamped into the metal, as opposed to being hard rubber/plastic pieces riveted into place. That and one of the openings is not cut out the same way.
      Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
      Decided to pick up the accessory aluminum skid plate (part # 31399006 ). For a non-4x4 off-roaders, this thing is fairly substantial. It also definitely has some weight to it!

And sure, it's a piece of laser cut metal with a slight bend in it, so it's not super complex, but with the NACA ducts it is a well constructed piece.

Will hopefully be going on this coming Monday.

*Edit* I originally said that it's stainless steel, but misspoke. It is aluminum. *Edit*
      I take it the plastic cover goes over the skid plate, so when you change your oil the plastic cover and the skid plate need to be removed to change your oil. Correct?

I don't see why not. You should see about having it added to your build sheet, so it's done and ready before you get there. Looks like the part number may have changed for MY20 though. Take a look in this link.

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...0AWD/Automatic
      I do see where it is a $455 installed option on the OSD sheet - I'm assuming that's what it's referring to as the "Protective Plate". However I'm on the cusp of receiving my order confirmation from Volvo and am "scared of rocking that boat"! I've already added a couple of extra items on that my Dealer overlooked and at this point will probably leave well enough alone. I'm also a little hesitant too after reading Gruendig's comment about having to remove it for an oil change! Can you comment on that?

I do see where it is a $455 installed option on the OSD sheet - I'm assuming that's what it's referring to as the "Protective Plate". However I'm on the cusp of receiving my order confirmation from Volvo and am "scared of rocking that boat"! I've already added a couple of extra items on that my Dealer overlooked and at this point will probably leave well enough alone. I'm also a little hesitant too after reading Gruendig's comment about having to remove it for an oil change! Can you comment on that?
      The skid certainly looks well made, wondering how thick is the aluminum. As for skid removal, I hope Volvo mechanics take more care in general than Toyota's. Not to be off-topic, over on the 4Runner forums, people are having issues with Toy techs cross-threading the skid bolts all the time, most owners ended up not using the "free" oil services. On the TRD Pro with factory aluminum skid, we are only talking about 4 lousy bolts (though the OEM plastic one and some after-market use more).

Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post
      I take it the plastic cover goes over the skid plate, so when you change your oil the plastic cover and the skid plate need to be removed to change your oil. Correct?
      No, the aluminum skid plate is a replacement for the plastic plate.

Having not even done an oil change on this car yet, I can't speak to that, though I believe you have to remove the plastic one, wouldn't surprise me if you have to remove this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sclui56 View Post
      The skid certainly looks well made, wondering how thick is the aluminum.
      5mm

I ordered one with our OSD V90. It was installed when we took delivery at the Factory Delivery Center.

Vuv7c3Ml.jpg

18BvhaLl.jpg
      Last edited by Mr Timewise; 02-04-2020 at 11:56 PM.

Having not even done an oil change on this car yet, I can't speak to that, though I believe you have to remove the plastic one, wouldn't surprise me if you have to remove this one as well.
      Yes you do. And when the shop does that you must tell them to be certain to replace the spacers properly. My dealer threw away the spacers and deformed the plate when they torqued the bolts. I found this out after returning home. The dealer had to order replacement spacers and bolts. Their attempt to save 1 minute cost them dollars and lots of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Timewise View Post
      Yes you do. And when the shop does that you must tell them to be certain to replace the spacers properly. My dealer threw away the spacers and deformed the plate when they torqued the bolts. I found this out after returning home. The dealer had to order replacement spacers and bolts. Their attempt to save 1 minute cost them dollars and lots of time.
      Are you referring to the large ~2 inch cylinders that act as spacers?! I cannot imagine how much effort they would have had to put into deforming that plate to get it to bolt up properly without them!!!

just for info.. I have this installed on my V90CC from factory.. and the metallic plate is not visible like that.. the metallic plate is inside below the engine and then after it has also the normal plastic cover (there is a space of maybe 2cms from the metallic plate to the plastic cover).
      so, looking under the car.. you only see plastic and only looking carefully through some holes you can actually see the metallic plate. (picture attached)
      Attachment 58753
      RU1
      -------------------------------------
      2019 - VOLVO V90CC T6 VOR

Quote Originally Posted by ru1 View Post
      just for info.. I have this installed on my V90CC from factory.. and the metallic plate is not visible like that.. the metallic plate is inside below the engine and then after it has also the normal plastic cover (there is a space of maybe 2cms from the metallic plate to the plastic cover).
      so, looking under the car.. you only see plastic and only looking carefully through some holes you can actually see the metallic plate. (picture attached)
      Attachment 58753
      Attachment isn't working.

That said, if you have the plastic cover over the aluminum skidplate, then they installed it wrong. Mr Timewise's pictures are also of a factory (OSD) installation. And the installation instructions say to discard the original plastic cover (see link below). If you ordered your car, but did not take it as OSD, then the installation would have taken place at the port of entry. So there's a high chance the installer didn't read the instructions and didn't take the time to do it correctly. It is an uncommon accessory, so not a stretch to think they just did it wrong. I'll also attach an image of the first page of the instructions, showing that the plastic cover should be discarded, just in case the installation link goes away.

Annotation 2020-02-06 091108.jpg

http://secure.autopartspeople.com/vo...structions.pdf

You mean they installed it wrong at the Swedish factory where the cars are built.. in Sweden?? I don't think so..
      I don't know at to attach the picture.. it attaches.. I can see it and then.. puff.. it stop to work..
      trying again..
      Attachment 58773
      Last edited by ru1; 02-06-2020 at 08:26 AM.
      RU1

and your link is for XC90.. i thought we were talking about a V90
      RU1

No, the aluminum skid plate is a replacement for the plastic plate.
      According to ru1 the plastic cover does go over the skid plate. So you do have to remove both to change the oil. (I guess only if you want to put the plastic cover back on). That's a PITA.
      My wife and I do "off road" several times a year. (Parking on the lawn at a party we're attending).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Timewise View Post
      I ordered one with our OSD V90. It was installed when we took delivery at the Factory Delivery Center.

Vuv7c3Ml.jpg

18BvhaLl.jpg
      Did you buy add the skid plate while you were at FDC or was it a part of your original OSD Order generated Stateside?

the metallic plate is inside below the engine and then after it has also the normal plastic cover
      Why on earth would you do that? That's like putting on a belt and then suspenders. See post #20: "The part is not to be reused."

You mean they installed it wrong at the Swedish factory where the cars are built.. in Sweden?? I don't think so..
      I don't know at to attach the picture.. it attaches.. I can see it and then.. puff.. it stop to work..
      trying again..
      Attachment 58773
      Those accessories are not added on the production line in Sweden. They, like certain other accessories (mudflaps, for example), are added at the port of entry by a 3rd party company hired by the manufacturer.

and your link is for XC90.. i thought we were talking about a V90
      It's the same part number and instructions, and is applicable for XC90, V90cc, V90, and S90.

And still a no-go on your attached image.

[QUOTE=nbvolks;7511677]
      Those accessories are not added on the production line in Sweden. They, like certain other accessories (mudflaps, for example), are added at the port of entry by a 3rd party company hired by the manufacturer.
      ru1 doesn't live in the US. So what port of entry are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by porschie356 View Post
      Why on earth would you do that?
      That's like putting on a belt and then suspenders. See post #20: "The part is not to be reused."
      Maybe it's like using a condom even thou your partner is taking the pill. Hay, you never know.

[QUOTE=GRUENDIG;7511747]
      ru1 doesn't live in the US. So what port of entry are you talking about?
      Then it would work the same as however they do it for intra-EU distribution. That may mean they do it like OSD deliveries (on-site, but not on the production line), or that there are distribution hubs located within Europe where they do the same thing.

Regardless, whomever installed that simply did it wrong. It doesn't follow the installation instructions which clearly state to not reuse the original plastic plate, and it does not match what was done for Mr Timewise who took delivery of his car in Gothenberg at the FDC. Signs point to ru1's having been done incorrectly.

If we also just step back and think about it practically, it just doesn't make sense to put the plastic tray back on. What purpose would that serve, other than to capture moisture and small road debris, between it and the aluminum plate?

[QUOTE=nbvolks;7511837]
      Quote Originally Posted by GRUENDIG View Post

Then it would work the same as however they do it for intra-EU distribution. That may mean they do it like OSD deliveries (on-site, but not on the production line), or that there are distribution hubs located within Europe where they do the same thing.

Regardless, whomever installed that simply did it wrong. It doesn't follow the installation instructions which clearly state to not reuse the original plastic plate, and it does not match what was done for Mr Timewise who took delivery of his car in Gothenberg at the FDC. Signs point to ru1's having been done incorrectly.

If we also just step back and think about it practically, it just doesn't make sense to put the plastic tray back on.
      What purpose would that serve,
      So it doesn't look like a Jeep.
      If someone does put the plastic cover back on, it's not "wrong" it's what they like.
      I never did listened to my mother about following instructions.

Are you referring to the large ~2 inch cylinders that act as spacers?! I cannot imagine how much effort they would have had to put into deforming that plate to get it to bolt up properly without them!!!
      Yup! Those two in the front (as well as the other seven "thick washers") were just disgarded. And several other bolts were not even tightened...one fell off in my driveway.

I should mention that when I went to the dealer for the first oil change, I even brought a printout of the skid plate installation instructions (because I assumed they had never seen the part installed). I had even circled in bright pink highlighter the spacers and gave them a verbal warning to BE CERTAIN they tell the technician to do this properly. Did they??? Maybe, but the job was not done properly. I was pissed, to say the least.
      Last edited by Mr Timewise; 02-06-2020 at 01:28 PM.

[QUOTE=GRUENDIG;7511863]

So it doesn't look like a Jeep.
      Haha... perhaps!

But, you can't see it unless you get down on the ground. I have a Cross Country, and even then I can't see it unless I'm laying on the ground looking up and back at it. Agreed though, it's not "wrong" if an owner wanted to add the plastic piece back for some sort of aesthetic reason, but it is wrong to have had it installed that way without the owner's input.

Did you buy add the skid plate while you were at FDC or was it a part of your original OSD Order generated Stateside?
      My original stateside OSD order confirmation listed the skid plate as "A00230 SKID PLATE UNDER ENGINE $385".

The pictures I took while laying on the floor of the FDC. Everyone laughed a bit when I took the photos.

It's the same part number and instructions, and is applicable for XC90, V90cc, V90, and S90.

And the 2018 XC60.

So question

Do the regular V90s come with a plastic belly pan in the US?

If so I will definitely put in a metal one in the order ASAP, I haven't gotten a final mod date yet.

If they don't come with belly pans at all (non CC models), I am sort of weary...

Yes it is fantastic to protect the engine bay from salt and extra corrosion not to mention the oil pan but belly pans really hold heat. In the R forums, users found a hike in under the hood and oil temperatures with a belly pan, R's didn't come with them out the factory. I think that especially T6 models will have higher under-the-hood temperatures as you have a 50 some pound hunk of aluminum on the side of the engine getting heat soaked to add to the issue compared to T5
      Last edited by MvI_S60R; 02-06-2020 at 03:40 PM.
      '06 S60R M66 | Blurple w/Sport Kit | 19" FC04A's | KW V2 | Hilton Stage 2.25 | DevilsOwn W/M | IPD:3" Oval Catless Exhaust | HD CA's | Adj. Toe Bars | 28mm Rear Sway | Snabb: Turbo Intake | Airbox | Big FMIC | Synapse DV | Colder Plugs | Strut Brace | Delrin S.B.'s | 20mm Spacers | 90mm Studs | My BUILD THREAD /// '20 V90 R-design on the way

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast