SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Accessory stainless steel skid plate

7K views 47 replies 12 participants last post by  nbvolks 
#1 · (Edited)
Decided to pick up the accessory aluminum skid plate (part # 31399006 ). For a non-4x4 off-roaders, this thing is fairly substantial. It also definitely has some weight to it!

And sure, it's a piece of laser cut metal with a slight bend in it, so it's not super complex, but with the NACA ducts it is a well constructed piece.

Will hopefully be going on this coming Monday.

*Edit* I originally said that it's stainless steel, but misspoke. It is aluminum. *Edit*

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
I do see where it is a $455 installed option on the OSD sheet - I'm assuming that's what it's referring to as the "Protective Plate". However I'm on the cusp of receiving my order confirmation from Volvo and am "scared of rocking that boat"! I've already added a couple of extra items on that my Dealer overlooked and at this point will probably leave well enough alone. I'm also a little hesitant too after reading Gruendig's comment about having to remove it for an oil change! Can you comment on that?

#10 ·
Decided to pick up the accessory aluminum skid plate (part # 31399006 ). For a non-4x4 off-roaders, this thing is fairly substantial. It also definitely has some weight to it!

And sure, it's a piece of laser cut metal with a slight bend in it, so it's not super complex, but with the NACA ducts it is a well constructed piece.

Will hopefully be going on this coming Monday.

*Edit* I originally said that it's stainless steel, but misspoke. It is aluminum. *Edit*
I take it the plastic cover goes over the skid plate, so when you change your oil the plastic cover and the skid plate need to be removed to change your oil. Correct?

#19 ·
just for info.. I have this installed on my V90CC from factory.. and the metallic plate is not visible like that.. the metallic plate is inside below the engine and then after it has also the normal plastic cover (there is a space of maybe 2cms from the metallic plate to the plastic cover).
so, looking under the car.. you only see plastic and only looking carefully through some holes you can actually see the metallic plate. (picture attached)
View attachment 58753

#20 ·
Attachment isn't working.

That said, if you have the plastic cover over the aluminum skidplate, then they installed it wrong. Mr Timewise's pictures are also of a factory (OSD) installation. And the installation instructions say to discard the original plastic cover (see link below). If you ordered your car, but did not take it as OSD, then the installation would have taken place at the port of entry. So there's a high chance the installer didn't read the instructions and didn't take the time to do it correctly. It is an uncommon accessory, so not a stretch to think they just did it wrong. I'll also attach an image of the first page of the instructions, showing that the plastic cover should be discarded, just in case the installation link goes away.

Text Water Map

http://secure.autopartspeople.com/v...th the engine - Installation Instructions.pdf

#26 ·
Those accessories are not added on the production line in Sweden. They, like certain other accessories (mudflaps, for example), are added at the port of entry by a 3rd party company hired by the manufacturer.

and your link is for XC90.. i thought we were talking about a V90
It's the same part number and instructions, and is applicable for XC90, V90cc, V90, and S90.

And still a no-go on your attached image.

#35 · (Edited)
So question

Do the regular V90s come with a plastic belly pan in the US?

If so I will definitely put in a metal one in the order ASAP, I haven't gotten a final mod date yet.

If they don't come with belly pans at all (non CC models), I am sort of weary...

Yes it is fantastic to protect the engine bay from salt and extra corrosion not to mention the oil pan but belly pans really hold heat. In the R forums, users found a hike in under the hood and oil temperatures with a belly pan, R's didn't come with them out the factory. I think that especially T6 models will have higher under-the-hood temperatures as you have a 50 some pound hunk of aluminum on the side of the engine getting heat soaked to add to the issue compared to T5

#37 ·
So question...

... but belly pans really hold heat. In the R forums, users found a hike in under the hood and oil temperatures with a belly pan, R's didn't come with them out the factory. I think that especially T6 models will have higher under-the-hood temperatures as you have a 50 some pound hunk of aluminum on the side of the engine getting heat soaked to add to the issue compared to T5
According to Volvo's description of the skid plate..."The protective plate has undergone a number of tests to ensure sustainability in the event of more powerful impacts. The plate does not create any noise and proper cooling of the engine has been verified."

I believe I read somewhere that the skid plate is installed on every police car Volvo builds.

#39 ·
Hi all,
Some things to clarify: :)
1) I live in Europe;
2) I have V90CC T6 VOR (2019 model);
3) The metallic plate came from factory and nothing was installed after;
4) Yes, the metallic plate is under the engine, it covers the engine/carter and the gear box;
5) After that, there is the plastic cover that basically covers almost everything (it's not plastic and it's not rubbers.. it's something mix.. I don't know how to name or describe the material);
6) By looking at my car and some other pictures, I would say that my car (with the metallic plate + the plastic cover) is more protected from rocks, water and is more "clean" on the bottom.. thus likely to be also more sound isolated and more efficient in terms of air drag below the car (more aerodynamic for high speeds);
7) I don't know if this is done on EU models and not on models that ship to the US (I have no idea);
8) I have the sound isolation/security package (double glass on all windows and so on) so I don't know if this is also part of that package (but don't think so);

Those accessories are not added on the production line in Sweden.
-- NOT TRUE. REALLY NOT TRUE! Might be the case in the US.. but it's not the case here in the EU. My car was delivered to me as it came from the ship from Torslanda - Sweden. There was even the option for me to go there and pick the car up at the factory (if I wanted to).

Why on earth would you do that? That's like putting on a belt and then suspenders.
-- for aerodynamic reasons and most likely for sound isolation (like.. do you know why there's this rubber thing on top of the engine? guess.. vibration and sound isolation)

Regardless, whomever installed that simply did it wrong.
-- WRONG AGAIN! It is installed very correctly. You are referring to instructions for an after market accessory. I have an accessory that comes from factory.. thus maybe it has a different reference, thus maybe it's even different in shape.. etc etc.
it just doesn't make sense to put the plastic tray back on.
-- and wrong again for the reasons already pointed out.

and finally.. why are my pictures not loading.. I attach the pictures.. I can see them.. then puff.. gone! ?? any ideas ?

#44 ·
Hi all,
Some things to clarify:

1) I live in Europe;
2) I have V90CC T6 VOR (2019 model);
3) The metallic plate came from factory and nothing was installed after;
4) Yes, the metallic plate is under the engine, it covers the engine/carter and the gear box;
5) After that, there is the plastic cover that basically covers almost everything (it's not plastic and it's not rubbers.. it's something mix.. I don't know how to name or describe the material);
6) By looking at my car and some other pictures, I would say that my car (with the metallic plate + the plastic cover) is more protected from rocks, water and is more "clean" on the bottom.. thus likely to be also more sound isolated and more efficient in terms of air drag below the car (more aerodynamic for high speeds);
7) I don't know if this is done on EU models and not on models that ship to the US (I have no idea);
8) I have the sound isolation/security package (double glass on all windows and so on) so I don't know if this is also part of that package (but don't think so);

Those accessories are not added on the production line in Sweden.
-- NOT TRUE. REALLY NOT TRUE! Might be the case in the US.. but it's not the case here in the EU. My car was delivered to me as it came from the ship from Torslanda - Sweden. There was even the option for me to go there and pick the car up at the factory (if I wanted to).

Why on earth would you do that? That's like putting on a belt and then suspenders.
-- for aerodynamic reasons and most likely for sound isolation (like.. do you know why there's this rubber thing on top of the engine? guess.. vibration and sound isolation)

Regardless, whomever installed that simply did it wrong.
-- WRONG AGAIN! It is installed very correctly. You are referring to instructions for an after market accessory. I have an accessory that comes from factory.. thus maybe it has a different reference, thus maybe it's even different in shape.. etc etc.
it just doesn't make sense to put the plastic tray back on.
-- and wrong again for the reasons already pointed out.

and finally.. why are my pictures not loading.. I attach the pictures.. I can see them.. then puff.. gone! ?? any ideas ?
I also have a 2019 V90cc VOR. The US VORs come basically fully optioned, sound deadening, laminated glass, etc.

The instructions I posted were the same ones shown for Europe, if you got it there. They are also the same instructions that come up in VIDA for European models.

These are not installed on the production line. They require drilling out factory mounting holes and inserting (correctly) rivnuts. None of that is practical to do on a moving, standardized, production line. It, along with a few other accessories are added after production and before delivery.

I'm also not sure why you're talking about aerodynamics. These are a direct replacement of the plastic cover, it neither adds nor takes away from the aerodynamics.

Again, there's no indication that it was installed correctly, and a lot of indication that it was done incorrectly.

But PLEASE post pictures of your car. Got to "advanced" when posting so you can correctly attach images. I ask because as someone else mentioned it sounds like there may be some confusion, in that maybe you're talking about the surrounding plastic/fiber covers and not the primary belly pan.

#42 · (Edited)
Ru1 not sure if you understood the whole plastic and metal plate. If you did then please provide a photo of your car that has the metal engine bay protection plate on top or above plastic engine protection plate. Nobody is talking about the aerodynamic underbody cover that runs behind the engine bay towards the rear of the car. Just want to make sure we are on the same page.
I don’t see the logic in having the off-road 5mm aluminum engine bay protection plate and then covering it with plastic.
And if I understand the installation instructions the holes that are holding the original plastic engine bay cover need to be drilled out and riveted for the installation of the aluminum engine bay protection plate.
Now since I do not have the CC model I will not comment on what standard engine bay cover was installed on those models in different markets as that car was made to be “more off-road capable”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 ·
rkohou, I already posted the picture on the previous post (hope it is visible.. my pictures on this forum tend to disapear..)
And I believe that what I have is this:
https://accessories.volvocars.com/e...ies/Document/VCC-516209/2019/T6 AWD/Automatic

so, I think it is different.

Nobody is talking about the aerodynamic underbody cover that runs behind the engine bay towards the rear of the car.
me neither, I'm talking about the cover on the front, right below the engine. Please see the picture that I have posted. I think it's clear.

#46 ·
I'm with you. I understand completely. :thumbup:
Sometimes you have to ask yourself: Do you want to be right? Or do you want to be happy.
I would just say to the others;
Your right
Ok, whatever you say.
Sure.
I have my car and you have yours. :bow:
Good luck :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.