Project daily driver: Hopefully the budget is back under control.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Project daily driver: Hopefully the budget is back under control.

I just had a really bad experience with an R. Needless to say I lost my shirt and I never got the car where I wanted it. The budget spiraled out of control and I just couldn't justify putting even more money in to it. So I got out. Sold it yesterday, and replaced it with this:

It's the most minty V70 I've seen in a long time, only 86k miles. 2.5T automatic, Ice White with Oak/Arena interior. One owner, obviously garaged and beautifully maintained. The owner's health degraded and he was forced to stop driving, so he put it up for sale. I just gave it the first wash, and while I need to get in and really detail it, so far it's looking great. Here's a preview with a door panel and jamb detailed:

This is the only major paint defect outside of the front bumper, on the roof strip near the tailgate:

Front bumper could use a scuff and spray but is excellent for the most part. I'll be shopping the junkyards for a new grille too, the chrome is peeling at the bottom of the vertical bars.

Only 3-4 tiny paint chips like this around the car, I already bought a factory touch up bottle:

The roof strip rubber is flawless:

The car had a bit of a stale smell inside, looking at the smeary glass it's obvious he had a dog in here at one point:

And it's amazing when a car has been garaged how easily it details. It was obviously parked outside and under a tree for a while, here's the engine bay when I got it:

And after 5 minutes of cleaning:

Interior detailing starts with the cupholder.

The plan is to stage 0 and then just drive it. The timing belt has never been done, so I just bought that along with all filters and tune up parts. I also bought lowering springs so it will look awesome with my Triton wheels, and mud flaps because even though it's this nice, it is still going to be my winter car. I think it needs shocks as well, I'll work on deciding what to do there. Looks like Koni discontinued the FSD shocks for this car, so I'm looking for something sporty but not harsh. Probably look at Bilsteins.

I'm also going to tint it and put fairly nice speakers and a subwoofer in it, and I'm shopping for a rear wing. I want to do all of this right away so that I don't have to think about any of it again, and can focus on my 122 project.

Man, it's nice to have a clean car that makes me happy to look at it and get in. I plan to have this one for the next 10-15 years if I can maintain it like my last V70.

Also I want to try to make it into my perfect dream wagon, but only after my 122 is done. I want to add:

Charcoal or Nordkap interior conversion with sport seats
      Manual swap with an LSD
      Turbo upgrade and tune.
      And if I get that far I'll put R bumpers on it.

The best part is that even with all the stage 0 stuff I'm into it for less than I sold the R for.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.
      2006 V70 2.5T - Ice White - Oak Arena, (almost) bone stock daily driver.
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Daughter's first car. No mods unless she does 'em herself.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice! Should be a fun build. You’ve played the p2 wagon game before but maybe worth taking a swing through my T5M build thread cause there’s a lot of good and newer improvements documented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 206k - K24/Greens/Do88/Quaife/SMF/P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 299k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 243k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 218k - Sisters

Great find ...I have a thing for white v70's ...
      You could do a lot! For example:
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by whitev70r; 02-01-2020 at 01:41 PM.
      05 V70 2.5T Sport Edition, Hilton Tune Stage 1, IPD front strut mount, CX Racing coilovers, 5mm front/10mm rear spacers - current baby.
      98 V70R AWD - Eurosport Tuning Dual Exhaust, lowered on Vogtland with Bilstein Touring, SOLD
      05 V70 2.5T AWD - No mods, got tired of the high rear end sticking up. SOLD
      98 V70 AWD - lowered on TME springs, Koni, IPD ECU, Volvo Dual Exhaust ... RIP
      Summer play vehicle - 09 Suzuki Gladius 650cc

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

For speakers grab an OEM premium audio setup from a junkyard car! You'll need sport door cards for the front but the Kevlar speakers sound killer.

This is a gorgeous find by the way
      Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

Looks great! Don't see too many V70s with under 100k miles much anymore. Get it to Stage 0 and enjoy.

I second going to the premium speakers and 300W amp.
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

I like aftermarket setups for stereos. I ran Polk audio components in my last V70 and they were amazing. Also easy install.

I went back out and did some detailing, here's that window after a cleaning with Stoner's invisible glass. I love this stuff.

And I gave the seats and console a once-over with a magic eraser. I also love this stuff.

I ran out before I could finish the driver's seat, I just did the front panel, can you see the difference?

If not here's a better example. These things are the bomb for stained up dirty interior plastic and leather.

Also it has a dog mat. I don't need it so I'll be putting it up for sale, if anyone wants dibs in here let me know. Volvo factory mat p/n 9193984 / 9468882.

2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake, RIP kit, & drop-in intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, Green Giants, 22 psi Hilton tune.

I've used magic erasers pretty much every where except the car - nice job and congrats on the new to you V. It looks really clean!
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

The magic eraser does clean things up nicely. Just be careful on the leather, it can remove the color layer if used too aggressively or excessively.

I'd keep that cargo mat since it helps protect the carpet when you use the wagon for wagon things.

You're supposed to pull the lower rear seats up before folding the top part down so the floor sits flat.

Where did you get the replacement rubber piece for the cup holder?

R cars aren't worth the trouble these days. Too old and maintenance costs too much. It was too much when they were new'ish.
      2002 XC70 2.4T - "Orca"
      White/Sand(Beige)

I know how to fold up a seat, hehe. I was just cleaning the seat backs, the owner's dog had slobbered all over the plastic. Although I almost never flip the seat up because it puts the driver's seat too far forward. I'm not super tall but too tall for that.

I didn't get replacement rubber, that's the original. And yeah, the only reason to own an R is for one of the cool colors. They aren't even particularly fast these days, so if you want to impress anyone you have to mod the crap out of them. Or just drive like a maniac.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      I know how to fold up a seat, hehe. I was just cleaning the seat backs, the owner's dog had slobbered all over the plastic. Although I almost never flip the seat up because it puts the driver's seat too far forward. I'm not super tall but too tall for that.

I didn't get replacement rubber, that's the original. And yeah, the only reason to own an R is for one of the cool colors. They aren't even particularly fast these days, so if you want to impress anyone you have to mod the crap out of them. Or just drive like a maniac.
      I wanted a fast Volvo though so unless I wanna spend 30k....R

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

Looks like a very nice starting point! Great interior colors for my taste.

Regards,
      D

A dog mat? I've never heard someone calling it a dog mat. Is it some kind of dog package that volvo offered?
      1999 V70 D5252T M56 - Nautic Blue/Graphite

L-D, you did see the M56LK swap kit I posted this week . . . 👿

Quote Originally Posted by raivis_rsn View Post
      A dog mat? I've never heard someone calling it a dog mat. Is it some kind of dog package that volvo offered?
      I just called it that because the PO had a dog. hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by zak View Post
      L-D, you did see the M56LK swap kit I posted this week . . . 👿
      I did now. I'm not ready for the manual swap just yet. One of the reasons I even considered an automatic is that I haven't taught my daughter to drive stick yet, so this can be a backup car for her if I need to do maintenance on her car. So I want to keep it auto for a while. Mostly I want to focus on my 122.

In other news, I did the timing belt on Sunday. Got a chance to break in my new Milwaukee 1/4" impact and 1/4" power ratchet. Both are awesome tools. Made the water pump a breeze. I also tried the method of pulling the timing belt around the harmonic balancer, worked fine. Took some maneuvering but nothing more than finger pressure to twist it around the obstacles. Probably saved 20-30 minutes of hassles, plus I have a history of cracking the outer flange of harmonic balancers with my 2 jaw puller.

Advice: Do any of you have success in getting all the coolant out of these cars? I'm not sure where the last bit of it is hanging, probably the heater core? I can only drain about 1-1/4 gallons, and when I put plain water in, it's obvious that there was nearly a gallon still in there. Now, normally I'd just do the drain and fill 3-4 times to make it 97% water and then add a gallon of concentrate, but all the stores around me have stopped selling concentrate! It's all 50/50 premix so now if I want 50/50 in the car I have to get it all out. Any advice? I'm thinking take a heater hose off and blow it out with air.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 02-04-2020 at 09:42 AM.

I drained and filled the coolant 4 times with distilled water. Then, topped off with coolant concentrate and distilled water to get to 50/50 based on capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydDobler View Post
      all the stores around me have stopped selling concentrate! It's all 50/50 premix so now if I want 50/50 in the car I have to get it all out.
      Yep, I found the same issue here when I cleared out my V70s coolant a couple years ago. I just did a drain and fill with 50/50 though, so the mixture stayed mostly OK. I recall getting close to 7qts out between the radiator and block though. Heater core does hold a bit.
      2001 V70 Silver - 198k miles
      2006 XC70 Ocean Race - 95K miles
      (Past: '94 944 turbo, sold at ~220k miles)

Did some research, OEM Volvo coolant from FCP is still concentrated, so I may as well switch to that. If I do the 5 quarts per flush that I'm getting right now, it'll be 1% coolant after 4 flushes. Then I can switch to Zerex G48 50/50 for top offs so I'm not dependent on mail order if I spring a leak.

I'm also going to try to blow out the heater core somehow for that last 3 quarts.

Forgot to mention, the reason I'm asking about coolant is because while doing the water pump I discovered the radiator has a failed tank seal on the passenger side and is leaking. Of course. So that's the next crucial task.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 02-05-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
      Where did you get the replacement rubber piece for the cup holder?
      Part # 30672484, here's some pics of when I did this a couple of years ago ('05 XC70) - https://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showt...der#post198737
      05 XC70 - Nautic Blue, Yakima Rack, 50/35 Tint

I'm definitely curious to see where you'll take this car, specially after everything on your c70. I've very much contemplated picking up an 05+ v70 2.5t FWD myself for a commuter since they're better on gas and definitely lighter in the pocket book to maintain, and to keep the miles off my VR
      2004 C70 T5 AT vert 77k Black Sapphire
      2004 V70R GT 144K Silver/Nordkap
      2005 S60R M66 151k Passion/Nordkap
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport 215k Passion Red

Sadly I'm not going to take it anywhere really. I'm looking at a rerun of my last FWD V70, which was an awesome car. 01 T5M, had it 8 years and 109k miles, and the only mods I did were exactly what I'm looking at doing on this car. Lowered with Koni shocks, tint, stereo, and a wing. There were entire years with that car where all I did was change oil, and I want the same experience out of this car.

The big differences are that this car is way better cosmetically, and my commute is significantly shorter so the miles won't rack up as fast. I just realized now all 3 of my cars are clean title. That's the first time that's happened since 1994. Also this is my 22nd Volvo, 17th if you don't count parts cars.

Hey Lloyd! Glad to see you back in the "regular old V70" crowd again. So sorry your R was such a money pit…but glad to see you happy with what's new! Your T5M was one of the main inspirations for why I sold my R and found a T5M back in 2013.
      Current: 2003 V70 T5 M56 // Mystic Silver/Charcoal // 162K miles // Koni FSD + Eibachs // Snabb intake + IPD silicone turbo hoses // Copper R Brembos // 18" Pegs // OEM bi-xenons // '05 side mirrors // 18/35 tint // jewel tails // black anodized S80 DIM // R steering wheel // '05 console w/ T5M spaceball // mesh grill with custom ironmark badge 2004 XC70 bone stock for now…
      Previous: 2001 V70 T5M (Nautic/Charcoal) // 1999 V70 NA M56 (Blue-Green Metallic/Charcoal) // 2004 V70R M66 (Titanium/Nordkap) // 1992 244 M47 (Silver/Navy…and the newest, nicest car I'll ever own. Sold on BaT. )

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Beautiful find! Congrats.

Oh my dear lord! We have sibling cars!

I picked up my one-owner (he had an 80 mile r/t commute, all freeway) with 107K on the odo. It had the Eurus 16" wheels, like yours. I also have the convenience package, geartronic and HomeLink, but sadly not the cold-weather package.

I tinted the windows (3M), put the Canistos (and I also have a set of Volans) on it. I ended up getting the Bilsteins all around. At 120K, the PCV was clean (swapped it since I had it out), timing belt, water pump, all that was done. I added the 12v in the rear, made a boost gauge in the center speaker grille and swapped to the "Classic" gauges and added the brushed aluminum vent covers.

We'll have to do a photo shoot next time I'm up there with it. I haven't seen any of your Denver Volvo guys for a looong time (I think I met you at some event/Volvo shop/museum thing Brett Borders had arranged, and quite possibly another one or two events - I would have had my white '93 945 or possibly my white '96 965 back then).

Attachment 59009

I remember your cars but I'm bad with names and faces. But yeah I'm sure we've met, I go to pretty much all the meets. Sadly they've dropped off in the last 3 years, Brett has been too busy to organize and I'm too lazy.

Totally down for a photo shoot if you find yourself in the metro area.

I had Formula One Pinnacle Ceramic Tint | LLumar (shade 15) installed. Perfect for Florida, 30 is/was too light.
      Current: 1998 V70 T5/S70 T5M & 2002 V70 T5
      Past: 2006 V70R GT

Ohhhh nice
      /2006 S60 T5 /K24/R Calipers/17" pegs/OBX/Koni/Eibach/JVC/SNABB/IPDSway,
      /2004 V70 R/M66 /05+ Tails/ 05+ Console/Evolve Intake/IPD Sways/OZ/Kenwood/PHUZZ
      /2005 V70XC -Stock
      /2004 V70XC - Project Truk
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance. - me
      Quote Originally Posted by Chicago_Wagon View Post
      (Sh!t, did I just agree with Chilled Man?) .

When you say magic eraser....you you mean the scrub pad you use in the bathroom or another chemical/cleaner?

I've never heard of anyone using one of the pads in a car before.
      2002 XC70 2.4T - "Orca"
      White/Sand(Beige)

When you say magic eraser....you you mean the scrub pad you use in the bathroom or another chemical/cleaner?

My progression threads are basically ads for magic erasers at this point lol
      1995 850 T-5R Estate. AW50-42LE. Cream Yellow/Graphite. 297k.
      1997 850R Estate. B5234T9/M66D. Bright Red/Graphite. 270k.
      2007 S60 T5. M66W. Black Sapphire/Arena. 140k.
      Instagram: Jared's Volvo Page

Past: |1997 855R. Bright Red/Light Beige. AW50-42LE. Totaled by wayward construction equipment. || 1996 854R. Black Stone/Graphite. AW50-42LE. Parts car || 1995 854 TURBO. Polar White/Tan. AW50-42LE. Parts car. |
      Dad: 1997 V70 T5 SE. AW50-42LE. Frost Green/Oak. 212k.Mom: NEW! 1999 S70 GLT Pewter/Oak. 101k. Past: 2004 V70 NA. AW55-50SN Ruby Red/Tan 269k. Sold to markj

Yeah those white squares, they have some kind of fine abrasive in them. I heard about using them in a detailing thread on another car forum and tried it clear back in 2008, they work fantastic for taking the scum and buildup or other scuffs off of interior plastics and leather. Like if you have a car where the PO kicked the door panel all the time and left black marks? Wipes those right off.
      Last edited by LloydDobler; 02-20-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Chris, I was thinking about your famous '01 v70 T5 thread as I've been stripping the '04 S60. I couldn't believe you got rid of that thing. That '01 V70 T5 I have is our best car. I can't afford an R and all the upkeep that goes with it. I just hope not too many people jump on the T5 bandwagon as that means less for me!

My 01 was just worn out. Mostly the paint was breaking down all over it, and the whole interior was full of rattles due to the door panels having glue failure and the sunroof parts all breaking up. It was a great car but it needed a lot of work. Then I was seduced by a sonic blue 6 speed R that was local and had all the mods I wanted already done to it. But alas I was a fool.

Here's a few magic eraser before/after shots of a tan interior in a 960 I fixed 12 years ago:

Planning to go junkyarding tomorrow, the weather is finally not snow and super cold. If I score anything good I'll update.

A few good things at the U-Pull:

Tweeter housings, someone already pulled some door panels so these just pop out. Then you clip the wires and the tweeter pops out. I'm going to try to mount aftermarket tweeters in to them so they snap in. I used zip ties to just put tweeters where these go on my 01 and the grilles kept popping out into the car.

Scored a set of the newer trim, although the HVAC was destroyed by someone pulling the stereo.

Realized that this is for a sedan, no tailgate wiper switch.

Figured out how to disassemble this, not sure if I want to try it on my car's switch. I should get another wagon switch and swap it on that, just in case I damage it during disassembly so I always have a working one.

This is how you remove it. Two screws, pry stalk apart, pop the ring off, then pry this circuit board out. The circuit board stays connected with its wires, the bottom plastic part is not connected, I'm just holding it to show it.

Got me a homelink visor, it's from an 04 so it's vinyl but I don't care. Programmed it up on the first try. Unfortunately the vinyl is pulling out from behind the mirror so I'm going to need to keep shopping for a nicer one. I was really surprised, this was the only homelink visor out of 4 matching cars. Even the 07 with the executive cluster and aluminum trim didn't have it. And now I regret not picking up the executive cluster.

So the day I got the car home and detailed it, I nicked the defrost with a razor while cleaning some tape residue off the back window. Figured I'll try this:

Here's the nick. (I just put the visor there to force it to focus):

It comes with a mask, but it's super wide. I used scotch tape.

Not too bad of a result. Multimeter shows 0 resistance across the fix so hopefully it works. I just wanted to try fixing it before tinting.

Nice work! Love that silver trim. If the climate knob covers from an xc90 fit I think that's the next bit of silver trim I want to add...

Weirdly I feel like homelink was a much more common option on 01-04 cars, I've never been able to find a good oak fabric homelink visor in a junkyard. Tons of arena, oak and gray vinyl ones though...and some fabric gray

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast