Vacuum pump making noise the whole time
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vacuum pump making noise the whole time

As the title of this thread says, the vacuum pump on my beloved MY11 S60 2.0T is making noise the whole time, even in Position 2 (engine off) and is being loud enough that one can hear it even when engine is working.
      The sound is very very similar to this one:

The pump does not work when the key is in Position 1 (not sure if this info matters, but just throwing it out there), but my mechanic is sure that the pump shouldn't even work in Position 2, let alone the whole time while the key is in Position 2.

I replaced the old pump which also made such noises with brand new one (bought it in dealership and had it calibrated there) not so long ago, as there were indications that the old one was shot, and next up is the switch with hoses.

Before I pull the trigger again, my questions regarding this issue are:
      - is it normal that this (particular) pump makes such noises?
      - is it normal that it constantly works (or at all!) in Pos2, and if case it's not, what could be the reasons? (Switch, brake booster, some sensor...something else?)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Will it eventually stop or only if you turn the car completely off?
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

What you mean by eventually? 5-10 minutes...or more?

I didn't test it indefinitely to see if it would eventually stop, but whenever I turn on the car and let it run idle for 10-15 minutes, it wouldn't stop making noise.
      In Position 2 it runs for 20 minutes too (that much I tested)... (And I'd swear it releases a bad burned rubber smell or something else burned, or it coincided with some other outdoor smell when I noticed it).

It stops making noise when I either disconnect it or shut off the car completely.

Is it normal that this (particular) pump makes such noises and is it normal that it constantly works (or at all) in Position 2?
      Last edited by sith_lord; 02-02-2020 at 05:17 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I ordered the switch, but was told that it might take a while until it comes.

I am worried something is causing the pump to be so noisy and that it will die prematurely, and it'd be a damn shame to see a new pump go. And those aren't cheap either... :/

Anyone?

Nobody? :/

i have a 2012, s60, t5.......i can't answer your specific questions except to say that i have no noise issues like you described. And if you installed a new pump....and it runs all the time....id have to say it's not normal.
      can't your dealership trouble shoot that?

The pressure switches do fail, and the pump will usually run continuously as a fail-safe. How long until it arrives?

If you’re worried about burning the new pump (which is a legitimate fear), you can disconnect it until the switch arrives. Just be aware, under some conditions (fast idle when cold, for example), the pedal may be slightly harder and less sensitive than normal. Shouldn't be anything too drastic though.

Joe
      2013 XC60 R-Design Platinum - Ice White
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Willow Green - Wife's, all stock

That noise is driving me nuts and I feel as if the braking is already worsening (I can't brake slowly and creep, so my stops are somewhat abrupt).

The dealership is clueless...

Quote Originally Posted by sith_lord View Post
      That noise is driving me nuts and I feel as if the braking is already worsening (I can't brake slowly and creep, so my stops are somewhat abrupt).

The dealership is clueless...
      That’s a shame. I can relate, there are definitely good and bad techs out there.

The abrupt stopping is likely due to TOO much vacuum since the pump is running nonstop. Like you said, they do burn out, so I’d disconnect it until the switch arrives. Should be an easy swap to replace the switch yourself and be back in business.

I’ve had the pump on our XC90 disconnected for most of the time we’ve owned it (have had her for 7 years next month). Like I said, only have noticed a difference a handful of times, and all were the first stop or two of the day during fast idle on a cold morning. Otherwise drives normally, Wife doesn’t notice a difference either. It’s been on the list for a while now, goes to show how little we notice it as I haven’t thought much about it since.

Hope this helps,

Joe
      2013 XC60 R-Design Platinum - Ice White
      2006 XC90 2.5T AWD - Willow Green - Wife's, all stock

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements