Since I hadnt started a build/modification thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Since I hadnt started a build/modification thread

So I snagged my 06 V70R from Brett here in Dallas and couldnt have been happier!

So far in terms of looks from the day I got her she is identical. However I have done some work, replaced the valvebody over winter break and a new water pump, which turned out to be the mystery cause of my coolant leak. This summer i will be doing a full M66 Swap and a 4T5 swap also out of a donor S60R car.

Sorry for the lack of many photos I will add more as I continue my continuation of the build.

As a little background, I've been into cars since I was little, the V70R is my 16th car since I was 19 and I'm currently 30 and finishing my second degree but this one is in Mechanical Engineering.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Pretty! Fc04 18s?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
      Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

Quote Originally Posted by tabormeister View Post
      Pretty! Fc04 18s?

Fc04 yes but these are actually 19s

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cptnslo View Post
      Fc04 yes but these are actually 19s

Nice, I'm gonna pick up some 17s I think. Wanna keep the dadwagon ride haha

Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

Nice, I'm gonna pick up some 17s I think. Wanna keep the dadwagon ride haha

Hahaha thankfully my only kid are my dogs lmao.
      The cost of tires for the 17s will definitely be considerably cheaper!

16 cars in 21 years! Damn man, I've only had 5 since 19, and I'm 35! Clearly I have some catching up to do. Would be curious to see that list, or even just a "best of".

Looks like a really clean example. Will be watching.

You planning to put the S60R motor in more or less stock, or are you building internals / going with a bigger turbo?
      06 S40 T5 AWD : DO88 intercooler : 3" EST downpipe : Eibach springs (1" drop) : Magnaflow cat-back exhaust : Hilton stage 2.5 tune

Quote Originally Posted by silent-circuit View Post
      16 cars in 21 years! Damn man, I've only had 5 since 19, and I'm 35! Clearly I have some catching up to do. Would be curious to see that list, or even just a "best of".

Looks like a really clean example. Will be watching.

You planning to put the S60R motor in more or less stock, or are you building internals / going with a bigger turbo?
      Haha heres the list although the order of.some may be off.
      Mini cooper clubman
      Mazdaspeed6
      Camaro fbody
      Turbo miata
      Fiat 500 abarth
      Evo 8
      Svt lightning
      E36 m3 sedan
      E39 m5
      E36 m3 coupe
      Srt4 neon
      Srt4 caliber
      Lb7 duramax
      Gto
      Mkv r32 vw
      Cobalt ss
      V70r

The evo 8 and the turbo miata are probably top besides the v70r. The turbo kit for the miata I built myself and the evo 8 went through 4 turbo swaps before I finally installed and settled on an fp black. She made 468awhp on 91 pump gas.

The V70R will be shrinking displacement and going with a 4T5 block. I dont really need more then ~450whp which will be plenty to surprise people in a dad wagon and this way I can also avoid shimming the block. I'll probably go with a k24 hybrid. Although I'm not sure yet.

Hahaha thankfully my only kid are my dogs lmao.
      The cost of tires for the 17s will definitely be considerably cheaper!

Awwwwyeah. Is that a custom intake manifold?

Awwwwyeah. Is that a custom intake manifold?

Is it, the previous owner works for dallas performance and is a fabricator. It changes the tb side from passenger to driver and it's now using a Maserati tb. Around 90mm

Is it, the previous owner works for dallas performance and is a fabricator. It changes the tb side from passenger to driver and it's now using a Maserati tb. Around 90mm

Whoa dang, that must push a few pounds

Whoa dang, that must push a few pounds

25lbs

That's... A weird but cool list. Not what I expected, but not disappointing!

Mine:

1966 Mustang coupe - bought new by grandparents, passed down... straight 6, 4 bolt axles, auto, body rust, finally gave up on the restoration about 5 years in when I had the Audi. Was never going to be what I wanted it to be.

1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL 5 speed - first I bought myself. Totaled in a roll-over about 8 months in. Loved this car, though in hindsight it was garbage, leaked in the rain, paint was terrible. Guy ran a stop sign on a cross street, I swerved and hit the sign for a friend's subdivision, hit the curb just right and flipped it. Car did its job, we were fine. First manual I owned - learned on my dad's 1987 Fiat X1/9.

1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5 speed - best car I've ever had (the S40 may unseat it, too early to tell). Bought with about 60k on it. Killed by a semi changing lanes in to me with about 250k on it years and years later. Zero real issues, though it did strand me in Miami when the idler pulley bearing failed at about 200k. My fault for not keeping up.

2006 Volvo S80 T6 FWD auto - garbage ex-rental, not its fault. Drove it for about 3 years. Was a desperation purchase when I couldn't find anything nice locally to replace the A4. When it died...

2006 Volvo V70 2.5T - I think my dad felt guilty for pushing me in to the S80 (and he'd just picked up a 2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD) so he passed me the V70. It was in good shape mechanically and cosmetically. Had about 170k on it. Drove that for another 3 years or so, no real issues, standard maintenance. Then there was a giant vacuum pump off a truck or something in the middle of an intersection, on a turn, at night. Hit it hard. Intercooler, radiator, AC condenser, oil pan all cracked. Dead.

2006 S40 T5 AWD M66 - I guess 2006 is a big year for me, particularly when it comes to Volvos? Picked this up from Werner, a formerly active SwedeSpeed member. D088 intercooler, 3" downpipe, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Hilton 2.5+ tune. It pulls way harder than the A4 ever did. It's a lot rougher in terms of paint and interior, and I'd take Quattro over Volvo's version of Haldex any day, but I love this thing. It's so angry and stupid. Big adjustment from the dadwagon; everyone hears this coming, everyone pays attention. I went without a radar detector for the last 6+ years... And I bought a Uniden R7 within days of this thing.
      06 S40 T5 AWD : DO88 intercooler : 3" EST downpipe : Eibach springs (1" drop) : Magnaflow cat-back exhaust : Hilton stage 2.5 tune

That's... A weird but cool list. Not what I expected, but not disappointing!

Mine:

1966 Mustang coupe - bought new by grandparents, passed down... straight 6, 4 bolt axles, auto, body rust, finally gave up on the restoration about 5 years in when I had the Audi. Was never going to be what I wanted it to be.

1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL 5 speed - first I bought myself. Totaled in a roll-over about 8 months in. Loved this car, though in hindsight it was garbage, leaked in the rain, paint was terrible. Guy ran a stop sign on a cross street, I swerved and hit the sign for a friend's subdivision, hit the curb just right and flipped it. Car did its job, we were fine. First manual I owned - learned on my dad's 1987 Fiat X1/9.

1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro 5 speed - best car I've ever had (the S40 may unseat it, too early to tell). Bought with about 60k on it. Killed by a semi changing lanes in to me with about 250k on it years and years later. Zero real issues, though it did strand me in Miami when the idler pulley bearing failed at about 200k. My fault for not keeping up.

2006 Volvo S80 T6 FWD auto - garbage ex-rental, not its fault. Drove it for about 3 years. Was a desperation purchase when I couldn't find anything nice locally to replace the A4. When it died...

2006 Volvo V70 2.5T - I think my dad felt guilty for pushing me in to the S80 (and he'd just picked up a 2015.5 XC60 T6 AWD) so he passed me the V70. It was in good shape mechanically and cosmetically. Had about 170k on it. Drove that for another 3 years or so, no real issues, standard maintenance. Then there was a giant vacuum pump off a truck or something in the middle of an intersection, on a turn, at night. Hit it hard. Intercooler, radiator, AC condenser, oil pan all cracked. Dead.

2006 S40 T5 AWD M66 - I guess 2006 is a big year for me, particularly when it comes to Volvos? Picked this up from Werner, a formerly active SwedeSpeed member. D088 intercooler, 3" downpipe, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Hilton 2.5+ tune. It pulls way harder than the A4 ever did. It's a lot rougher in terms of paint and interior, and I'd take Quattro over Volvo's version of Haldex any day, but I love this thing. It's so angry and stupid. Big adjustment from the dadwagon; everyone hears this coming, everyone pays attention. I went without a radar detector for the last 6+ years... And I bought a Uniden R7 within days of this thing.
      Haha based on the modifications it sounds like a radar was a smart choice! I have a valentine 1 and that has saved my ass more than a few times on my drives from TX to nm.

All of mine have been modified but that is a very extensive detailed description I'd have to type.

It is good to hear that you had such a good experience with your A4. I have a few friends who have the b5 s4 and although it's a step above, the reliability has been meh at best. The fact you have to drop the bottom end to work on the turbos is a major pita though.

In comparison to the new Tsi engines from audi though everything is more reliable from the early 2000s.

Haha based on the modifications it sounds like a radar was a smart choice! I have a valentine 1 and that has saved my ass more than a few times on my drives from TX to nm.

All of mine have been modified but that is a very extensive detailed description I'd have to type.

It is good to hear that you had such a good experience with your A4. I have a few friends who have the b5 s4 and although it's a step above, the reliability has been meh at best. The fact you have to drop the bottom end to work on the turbos is a major pita though.

In comparison to the new Tsi engines from audi though everything is more reliable from the early 2000s.

And late 90s

re: b5 s4s

One of my dad's friends has an air cooled 911 Targa.

Instructions to change spark plugs:

1. Remove engine.

It could be worse.
      Last edited by silent-circuit; 02-01-2020 at 10:00 PM.

One of my dad's friends has an air cooled 911 Targa.

Instructions to change spark plugs:

1. Remove engine.

It could be worse.
      That's about how I felt when I had to change the plugs on my friends wrx

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ld-for-my-V70R

Bret's thread, incase you wanted the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by kTaLgsTo View Post
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ld-for-my-V70R

Bret's thread, incase you wanted the pictures
      Thank you! I had been searching and for the life of me I couldn't find it!

Welp had some free time this past week because of the COVID stuff so had time to install my new front wheel bearings and today was interior leather clean and protect day.
      Currently waiting on my ceramic coating to arrive so I can start polishing out any microabrasions before she gets ceramic coated. 20200325_173642.jpg

Got 2 of the wheels cleaned and ceramic coated today. I'm stuck doing 2 at a time since I only have 2 jack stands. Thankfully.my new silicone 90*elbow arrives tomorrow for my TB to fmic!
      In these photos the wheels are clean the ceramic hadnt been applied

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements