New Wheels - Pearl White Inscription XC90 21 vs 22'' w/o airsusp
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

New Wheels - Pearl White Inscription XC90 21 vs 22'' w/o airsusp

Hello guys,

I have been following the forum for quite long time, before and after i bought my XC90 D5 Polestar. I purchased my car 9 months ago, the car was a stock AD showcar with plenty of extras, had only 10 kms on it but it came with the stock inscription 20''wheels. In short my experience so far has been more than satisfying, im very pleased with my car and done already 22k kms on it, ride quality and everything has been great so far even without air suspension, zero issues . However, there always been 1 thing that i always wanted to change on the car and these were the wheels, the Inscription 2019 stock wheels just don't do it for me.

So in short i ended up after much research into these 2 wheel options and already agreed on a price with my AD no matter which i choose. The 21'' new Inscription wheels, 21" 8-Multi Spoke Black Diamond Cut Alloy Wheel - 1081 and Complete wheels, 22" 6-Double Spoke Tech Black Matte - C001

My concerns first are 1) looks: the car is ''executive'' but im 38 years old professional, i would like a touch of sportiness. I am interest to have an opinion from people who saw in flesh these 2 wheels on an XC90.
      2) ride quality: im afraid that if i jump from 20->22 inch whether ride quality will change so bad that i will need to switch again back to my 20''s.
      3) price: the 21'' Inscription wheels are more expensive by 1200 euros, that is because you can only order Rims and then buy your own tires, where the 22''s come as complete wheels from Factory for 1200 euro less.

Below are some pics of Pearl White on these 2 wheels and the current stock wheels, will appreciate your opinion since i need to decide in the upcoming 2-3 days (already paid prepayment and AD waits my final decision).

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The 22’s don’t look right at all.

I have the same 21" wheels on my 2020 XC90 Onyx Black and Grey happy with it.
      XC90 MY20 Onyx Black T6 Incription * Nappa Leather Perforated Maroon Brown
      Polestar Optimized * Premium Pack * Versatility Pack * Sport Steering Wheel * 21'' 8-Multi Spoke Black Diamond-cut Alloy Wheel *

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The last picture reminds me of someone trying to make it look racy. I think they take away from the sophistication of the car. The middle picture is good. I would also think that the ride would falter with the 22 inch wheels versus the 21 inch wheels.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

The blackjacks look good and probably decent ride w/o air suspension. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Volvo V90 R Design T5 P*(Bursting Blue)
      2018 Tesla Model 3 (Midnight Silver Metallic)
      2014 Honda Odyssey Elite (Family Hauler)

I believe will go with 20''s Black Diamond Cut Alloy wheel -1080 just to be on the safe side about ride quality, thanks for your feedback guys.

Last edited by alex82; 02-02-2020 at 10:56 AM.

<22><22><22><22>

Quote Originally Posted by alex82 View Post
      ... there always been 1 thing that i always wanted to change on the car and these were the wheels, the Inscription 2019 stock wheels just don't do it for me ... i ended up after much research into these 2 wheel options ... 21" 8-Multi Spoke Black Diamond Cut Alloy Wheel and Complete wheels, 22" 6-Double Spoke Tech Black Matte ...
      1) ... I am interest to have an opinion from people who saw in flesh these 2 wheels on an XC90.
      2) ride quality: im afraid that if i jump from 20->22 inch whether ride quality will change so bad that i will need to switch again back to my 20''s.
      3) price: the 21'' Inscription wheels are more expensive by 1200 euros, that is because you can only order Rims and then buy your own tires, where the 22''s come as complete wheels from Factory for 1200 euro less.
      We have a MY2019T8i (with air suspension however) originally with the 20" 10-spoke rims as shown in your 1st picture, and like you, didn't quite think it complemented the car's beauty. I spent a lot of time researching rims also. We drove with the 20" rims for a total of about 12 hours before switching to the 22". We bought the 22" 6-spoke rims (that came with the Pirelli summer times) as shown in your 4th (last) picture and, after 1 month, liked the 22" so much I bought a second set, removed the summer tires, and installed Pirelli winter tires. Unfortunately when we bought the XC90 we could not substitute the 20" rims for the 22" rims, argh. We've had the XC90 now for about 1.5 years and have had no complaints with the 22" rims. However perhaps the air suspension has helped any bumpy ride concerns that others have mentioned in other threads - or I've got a bumpy-tolerant buttocks . . . No complaints from the bosswife or kids about the ride either. We live in New England (USA) so we have winters with imperfect roads dotted with potholes and uneven pavement that needs regular yearly repairs. Below are more 22" 6-spoke pictures (from mine and others I've found)to give you more angles to appreciate if you're on the fence. Just go with what makes you happy as you - and not the rest of us - have to live with your decision. Good luck!

This website has tons of angles on the 22" 6-spoke as well: https://paultan.org/2017/06/05/galle...-accessorised/ and here are some YouTube videos featuring the 22" 6-spoke rims:
      https://youtu.be/4YWRbgXr-Lo
      https://youtu.be/FIrVf5aXcxk
      https://youtu.be/PpvGZE-1CLw
      https://youtu.be/cbWb5n-npsk
      https://youtu.be/cfhRgASzAhY (This one is a white Inscription)
      https://youtu.be/1QG03sPSHhU (Another white Inscription)
      https://youtu.be/QosqQ2xiWeY (Anther white Inscription)

20181006_163146.jpg20190818_112025mod.jpg03 off then torque.jpg01 hockey puck and jack point.jpgR-design with 22inch rims.jpg
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Really appreciate your detailed post man, your xc90 and the wheels looks great.

2016 XC90 T8 Inscription

I have a pearl white inscription with 20” 10 spoke Inscription wheels and 22” summer 5 spoke black grey.

I like the look and the ride on Air especially every four months of summer driving for something different. I don’t much care what others think since it is in the eye of the beholder, and for me, the owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

If i buy 22"s will definitely go with Volvos wheels prefer to avoid after market.

Seems i have 2 options:

1) Buy the 20"s for the same cost of the 22"s, in such case no reason keeping the old ones, this means i will need to sell the old rims but for extremely low price locally, shipping costs are extremelyhigh to sell this international.

2) i buy the 22"s check them out and keep the old 20"s, just in case im not satisfied with whatever happens with the 22"s i will be able to switch back, not worth the risk disposing the 20"s in this case.

Seems i have 2 options: ...
      2) i buy the 22"s check them out and keep the old 20"s, just in case im not satisfied with whatever happens with the 22"s i will be able to switch back, not worth the risk disposing the 20"s in this case.
      Any chance you can find a dealer near you who has an XC90 on the lot without air suspension but with any 22" rims for you to test drive? I don't know what country you're in but in the USA all dealer inventory is online so you can checkout each XC90's details on nearby dealers' lots so you don't have to waste time visiting each dealer. If that option isn't available, maybe calling each nearby dealer is an option?
      I don't know why but I still have my original 20" rims sitting in the basement thinking "I will use them someday" but in reality, after having thoroughly tested the 22"ers for over a year, I really should get rid of the 20"ers - i'm a damn packrat!
      Last edited by likeXC90; 02-03-2020 at 01:18 PM.
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Not a chance to find a dealer with 22"s to try them out, very satisfied with ride quality and i will not take my chances without airsuspension so today i asked from dealer to order for me the new 10spoke 20"s.

I live in Cyprus, selling international for such heavy big items is not really worth it, so will just try to dispose them locally as soon as the new wheels arrive.

Hello guys,

I have been following the forum for quite long time, before and after i bought my XC90 D5 Polestar. I purchased my car 9 months ago, the car was a stock AD showcar with plenty of extras, had only 10 kms on it but it came with the stock inscription 20''wheels. In short my experience so far has been more than satisfying, im very pleased with my car and done already 22k kms on it, ride quality and everything has been great so far even without air suspension, zero issues . However, there always been 1 thing that i always wanted to change on the car and these were the wheels, the Inscription 2019 stock wheels just don't do it for me.

So in short i ended up after much research into these 2 wheel options and already agreed on a price with my AD no matter which i choose. The 21'' new Inscription wheels, 21" 8-Multi Spoke Black Diamond Cut Alloy Wheel - 1081 and Complete wheels, 22" 6-Double Spoke Tech Black Matte - C001

My concerns first are 1) looks: the car is ''executive'' but im 38 years old professional, i would like a touch of sportiness. I am interest to have an opinion from people who saw in flesh these 2 wheels on an XC90.

Below are some pics of Pearl White on these 2 wheels and the current stock wheels, will appreciate your opinion since i need to decide in the upcoming 2-3 days (already paid prepayment and AD waits my final decision).

Hi from Australia...
      I know I have a XC60 but I rather like this style of wheels...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1seL...ew?usp=sharing
      Cheers from "down under" Australia... s5156
      2018 XC60 D4 Inscription, Pine Grey, Premium Pack (B&W, Black Napa, Air Susp), Full Window Tint

I would get the 22” and this way you’d have the elegant and the sporty looks to change from at your convenience.

Either way good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...so today i asked from dealer to order for me the new 10spoke 20"s. I live in Cyprus ...
      Enjoy your new rims and great to hear you're writing from Cyprus!

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements