Questions around booking flights -- were you given options?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Questions around booking flights -- were you given options?

Calling all experienced OSDers for advice -- we are super excited to be picking up our car this June in Gothenburg. ICYMI, Volvo has swapped travel companies effective 12/2019 and is now using an organization called Adtrav. My experience to date with the whole OSD process has been fraught for a number of reasons (my dealership folks are OSD newbies and got my order wrong, my original salesperson went out on medical leave before completing my order, then Volvo OSD couldn't find my order number), but now I have a travel question. We are planning to start our trip in CPH before going to GOT to pick up our car. I understood that SAS is the preferred carrier for travel because of the Swedish connection; that said, there is a direct flight to CPH (where we would like to spend 2 nights before we pick up our car) from our home airport on SAS, but the first itinerary our travel rep proposed was a 1-stop layover in Germany for 3 hours that connects to CPH on United. We are planning on purchasing an additional 2 tickets above and beyond the ones that Volvo provides (for our undeserving kids), so I have a query out to the travel agent to see if she didn't offer us the direct flight due to cost, but did any of you experience less-than-desirable itineraries that were based on minimizing Volvo's cost for your travel? Were you aware of any cap to the cost of the travel covered by Volvo? I think I'd be willing to cough up a few extra $$ to avoid having jet-lagged family members sitting in an airport waiting for a connection.
      Last edited by mainergirl; 02-03-2020 at 07:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My understanding from talking to AdTrav is that the cost Volvo will cover is based on two round trip tickets on SAS Plus between your airport and GOT. You can choose different routes, airlines, cabin classes, airports, etc. and pay the difference if more than that base cost.
      Good luck

Thanks hamletkm: I should have included in my original post that we had decided to go to CPH before we go to GOT because while CPH is a place we wanted to see, it works better for our itinerary to go before heading to GOT. For that matter, nearly every itinerary I had scoped out before speaking with the travel agent involved connecting through CPH anyway. We would be fine with paying to get ourselves between CPH and GOT on our dime. Just can't figure out why we wouldn't be offered an SAS direct flight over a connecting flight on a partner airline unless it was to save us (and them) some $.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Agreed, seems like that does make the best sense...You may be better off sending her the exact itinerary you want and seeing how much they will cover (also comparing ahead of time to see the cost difference?)

We were given options. This was 3 years ago so understand that it may have changed. One of our itineraries was through London on British Air. That one surprised me. But we were trying all kinds of ways to get over the pond. I think my first call was 1.5 hours. The 2nd was close to an hour. Then a last one with Mrs Scrapr on the line was about a half hour. I never felt rushed.

We actually flew into Stockholm (ARN) and trained over to GOT. The train was on us IIRC. We ended up in Paris and I "think" we paid for the flight CDG-COP. And then SAS got us back to the States. In your case I would think they would get you to COP. I would train to GOT. And that will probably be on you. But enjoy a few days in COP & get over jet lag. This all may not be helpful because of the new agent
      Sold: 98 V70 2.5T 289k Miles
      Sold 05 V70 2.5
      Sold: 05 XC90 2.5T 313986 Miles
      Traded 2017 V60 Platinum Mussel Blue OSD
      2019 XC60 Inscription (almost OSD)

Just want to share our planning.
      CPH to GOT is about 3hr drive, I'd take advantage of 2-week free car registration/license. We stayed in CPH for 2 nights as the last leg of our wonderful OSD trip before drove back to GOT and returned the car at FDC. By doing this, drop-off is free, Volvo provide free ride for you to hotel and airport too. Plus, Volvo also paid the last night Hotel at GOT.
      So, yes, the 2 free round trip tickets package does has a upper limit as far as I know so try to fully use it. Note, open jaw and one layover is allowed. We ended up to fly non-stop to London and stayed for 3 nights (layover) and fly to GOT to pick up the 2020 V60 CC in August, 2019 - all on Volvo. We went back to US from GOT (via London, stayed in airport and had a very good lunch). All on Volvo. One surprise my wife happily found out was at the airport we were told the ticket we purchased to London on our own was upgraded to business class! Per this forum, the travel agency get changed but not the policy.
      Overall we had a blast OSD experience.

Quote Originally Posted by j128i View Post
      We ended up to fly non-stop to London and stayed for 3 nights (layover) and fly to GOT to pick up the 2020 V60 CC in August, 2019 - all on Volvo.
      I'm guessing you mean that the flights were covered by Volvo -- surely not 3 nights' accommodations in London?! I do think there is a learning curve with the new travel agency, and there doesn't seem to be as much inherent generosity -- eg, when we expressed interest in staying 2 nights in CPH before coming to GOT, we were told the leg between CPH and GOT would be on our dime. The train looks like it takes just as long as 2 hours in airport and 45 min flight to GOT, so we may go that route to allow ourselves more flexibility in when we travel.

Quote Originally Posted by mainergirl View Post
      I'm guessing you mean that the flights were covered by Volvo -- surely not 3 nights' accommodations in London?! I do think there is a learning curve with the new travel agency, and there doesn't seem to be as much inherent generosity -- eg, when we expressed interest in staying 2 nights in CPH before coming to GOT, we were told the leg between CPH and GOT would be on our dime. The train looks like it takes just as long as 2 hours in airport and 45 min flight to GOT, so we may go that route to allow ourselves more flexibility in when we travel.
      Right, I meant flight tickets. For the flight you mentioned seems stop in German city maybe counted as layover.

So far my AdTrav agent, Stephanie, has been very helpful with flights. We are flying to GOT (from our small city of Shreveport, LA) then stopping in Dublin before going back home. She didn't offer us the best itineraries at first, but I had looked up some options on Google flights that I sent to her.
      We have a larger group going (5 adults), and we're a bunch of spoiled brats who want to go first class LOL. After sending her the flights I'd found and telling her that we'd like first/business class, she was quickly able to find us a very reasonably priced itinerary for my family, and my ticket is still fully covered by Volvo. We'll see how much the total ends up being and how much Volvo covers, but so far I'm happy with what she's been able to do for us.

Quote Originally Posted by mainergirl View Post
      when we expressed interest in staying 2 nights in CPH before coming to GOT, we were told the leg between CPH and GOT would be on our dime. The train looks like it takes just as long as 2 hours in airport and 45 min flight to GOT, so we may go that route to allow ourselves more flexibility in when we travel.
      When I set up the flight to CPH for our first stop, I fully intended to take the train to GOT on my own dime, but they offered to pay for a flight so we did that. I guess it depends on where you're coming from in North America -- total cost is the driver.

Trains are very nice over there, so it's not an issue for us. Took the high speed (3 hour) train from Gburg to Stockholm after drop off.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Manthie View Post
      So far my AdTrav agent, Stephanie, has been very helpful with flights. We are flying to GOT (from our small city of Shreveport, LA) then stopping in Dublin before going back home. She didn't offer us the best itineraries at first, but I had looked up some options on Google flights that I sent to her.
      We have a larger group going (5 adults), and we're a bunch of spoiled brats who want to go first class LOL. After sending her the flights I'd found and telling her that we'd like first/business class, she was quickly able to find us a very reasonably priced itinerary for my family, and my ticket is still fully covered by Volvo. We'll see how much the total ends up being and how much Volvo covers, but so far I'm happy with what she's been able to do for us.
      Did she book your entire itinerary on SAS? Also curious as to when your Volvo Delivery date is?

Quote Originally Posted by skibum50 View Post
      When I set up the flight to CPH for our first stop, I fully intended to take the train to GOT on my own dime, but they offered to pay for a flight so we did that. I guess it depends on where you're coming from in North America -- total cost is the driver.

Trains are very nice over there, so it's not an issue for us. Took the high speed (3 hour) train from Gburg to Stockholm after drop off.
      Was this booked recently with the new Corporate Travel Agency AdTrav?

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
      Was this booked recently with the new Corporate Travel Agency AdTrav?
      No, that was with the previous agency.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

Our flights are actually going to be American Airlines/British Airways, and my pick up date is April 23rd. Our trip is from April 21st to May 2nd!

Our flights are actually going to be American Airlines/British Airways, and my pick up date is April 23rd. Our trip is from April 21st to May 2nd!
      We will be there right ahead of you. Pickup date 4/20, return 5/26. Look for orca xc60.
      /kleks

Cool! We'll be taking my XC90 up into Norway for a few days before dropping it off and continuing to Copenhagen and Dublin!

Cool! We'll be taking my XC90 up into Norway for a few days before dropping it off and continuing to Copenhagen and Dublin!
      We are heading for a short trip to Norway, and then ferry from Trelleborg to Sassnitz on 4/30 for a month in Poland.

PM sent.

/kleks

So exciting! We are traveling May 9-25 - planning a driving tour around southern/western Sweden and Copenhagen before flying out for time in Stockholm and Kiruna/IceHotel.

Hi, can anyone shed some light on what’s the rule on booking tickets for kids! Do they fare them at adult pricing or do they consider the kids Discounted fares for the airlines in the itinerary?

Quote Originally Posted by traileprsb View Post
      Hi, can anyone shed some light on what’s the rule on booking tickets for kids! Do they fare them at adult pricing or do they consider the kids Discounted fares for the airlines in the itinerary?
      As far as I know, kids are treated as adults. Unless the airline you're flying has reduced fare for kids (which I don't think many do), then they will be charged the same as an adult. But it's always worth asking your travel agent to see if they can get you a deal. Ours has been really accommodating! We were able to upgrade our free seats to first class for only $577 per ticket.
      Last edited by Manthie; 02-24-2020 at 03:35 PM.
      2020 XC90 Momentum T5 (OSD April 2020 - Delayed May 2021)

Our 2 kids 13 & 15 were charged full adult fare.

Thanks for the confirmations! Looks like that’s what happened with our itinerary too. We see that the same itinerary is cheaper in google flights than what the agency quoted. Not sure if they have their own pricing policy. According to them the lowest fare that they have, is actually higher than the google flights pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by traileprsb View Post
      Thanks for the confirmations! Looks like that’s what happened with our itinerary too. We see that the same itinerary is cheaper in google flights than what the agency quoted. Not sure if they have their own pricing policy. According to them the lowest fare that they have, is actually higher than the google flights pricing.
      What Travel Class did AdTrav put you in? Hopefully "Plus" on SAS - or "Premium Economy" on British Airways!
      Future: 2021 V90 CC (OSD)
      Current: 2017 Subaru Outback Touring
      Previous: 2005 Volvo V70R
      1971 Triumph Tiger 650 (OSD)

What Travel Class did AdTrav put you in? Hopefully "Plus" on SAS - or "Premium Economy" on British Airways!
      They quoted me for plus but I picked up economy to cover the cost for kids traveling with us. Moreover we came to know that BA is not their preferred airline anymore. SAS and United are now the airlines of choice for them. None of this was mentioned to us until we had a consultation session. But was able to get the itinerary on BA coz I had planned my trip keeping BA itinerary in mind.

traileprsb What Volvo model are you getting and out of curiosity when is your requested delivery date? We're picking up a V90 CC on July 13th!

traileprsb What Volvo model are you getting and out of curiosity when is your requested delivery date? We're picking up a V90 CC on July 13th!
      Picking up XC90 on June 8th

I wasn't too picky and was given a quick journey both ways. But I decided to change and visit Copenhagen a few days before continuing on to Gotenberg. There was no problem in changing the itinerary and AdTrav was very efficient. FYI, I am traveling solo and decided to upgrade to business class. I was pleasantly surprised to find the upgrade only cost me $260. When I inquired about the cheap price, I was told Volvo authorized me 2 "economy plus" seats. So Adtrav combined the cost of 2 seats and applied it to the cost of my business class seat. Just remember seat costs are very variable depending on the dates of travel, etc. So you may not get the cost I paid.

I just booked my flight through Adtrav. Volvo paid for the equivalent of two economy plus seats, which price-wise was equal to three economy seats. We converted them to the three economy seats in order to pay for one of our kids (age 15) who will be flying with us. The other kid is in her twenties and we bought her a much cheaper flight on another airline which arrives in Gothenburg an hour and a half after our flight.
      Future: 2020 V60 CC Birch Light with Advanced Package and Bowers and Wilkins (was OSD summer 2020, now cancelled, 2021 model next summer?)
      Current: Subaru Outback 2015, Limited

Quote Originally Posted by ap17 View Post
      We converted them to the three economy seats in order to pay for one of our kids (age 15) who will be flying with us.
      That's awesome! I want to bring my too youngest boys so that would work perfect for me!

In spite of Volvo car production currently being shutdown, ADTRAV continues to fine tune our upcoming OSD delivery trip scheduled for July 13th. As others have tried I asked for pricing on an upgrade to SAS business class and to my dismay they came back to me for an additional cost of $3,935.80 for the two of us! Forget that idea! But in our case we are flying into Gothenburg and two weeks later returning home out of Madrid - so perhaps that is part of the high upgrade cost? They did at least allow us to land and remain overnight in Copenhagen before flying out the next day to Gothenburg on the way over. Still hoping that Volvo car production resumes on April 14th - but from what I've been reading in The Gothenburg Post they seem to think that is overly optimistic.

In spite of Volvo car production currently being shutdown, ADTRAV continues to fine tune our upcoming OSD delivery trip scheduled for July 13th. As others have tried I asked for pricing on an upgrade to SAS business class and to my dismay they came back to me for an additional cost of $3,935.80 for the two of us! Forget that idea! But in our case we are flying into Gothenburg and two weeks later returning home out of Madrid - so perhaps that is part of the high upgrade cost? They did at least allow us to land and remain overnight in Copenhagen before flying out the next day to Gothenburg on the way over. Still hoping that Volvo car production resumes on April 14th - but from what I've been reading in The Gothenburg Post they seem to think that is overly optimistic.
      We booked to fly in on June 13 and fly out of St Petersburg on June 30. The first class upgrade was $5,000. we passed and I checked in later to see if prices had gone down and they told me they had gone up. Will check again when it gets closer...assuming we can go at all! Cant wait to get my new XC60 T8!

34. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements