Question re: Dealership Delivery
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Question re: Dealership Delivery

First of all, apologies if this is a question that has been answered before, but I did not find anything on point when I searched.

I spoke to my dealership here in Houston about my incoming OSD delivery in about a week. I asked what the dealership would do with the car prior to me picking it up. They said they would 1) wash car, 2) conduct state inspection, 3) download US maps/"convert to US system" and 4) fill up with gas.

With respect to the maps, the rep said it would cost about $100. Does this sound normal to folks here? I am not sure whether the conversion is something I can do on my own.

I did not drive the car in Gothenburg and dropped it off the same day at the FDC.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Negative ghost rider, there should be no fee. They should also install the latest software version for your car and activate all of the sirus xm stuff as well as Volvo on call.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      2018 XC60 T5 Momentum AWD/Osmium Grey Metallic/Charcoal Leather/B&W Audio/ACC-PA2 (OSD)
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post
      Negative ghost rider, there should be no fee. They should also install the latest software version for your car and activate all of the sirus xm stuff as well as Volvo on call.

Thank you! I think I will email VCNA to get some sort of written confirmation before I go back and talk with the dealership again.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Putertech View Post

+1
      Hers - 2018 XC60 T6 Inscription via OSD His - 2016 MB C300 Sport 4matic
      Just for fun - 2001 Honda S2000 - also hers

If they’re trying to make you pay for the US maps, they’re ripping you off. The US maps are included for OSD cars, our V90 arrived in Seattle with the US maps having been downloaded during port processing. That dealer is charging you a hundred bucks for a tank of gas, a state inspection, and a wash job.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
      If they’re trying to make you pay for the US maps, they’re ripping you off. The US maps are included for OSD cars, our V90 arrived in Seattle with the US maps having been downloaded during port processing. That dealer is charging you a hundred bucks for a tank of gas, a state inspection, and a wash job.
      On that - they don't drain the fuel tank when they ship the car, correct? If so then the dealer shouldn't need to fill it up as I left it at the FDC with however much gas there was in there - I drove it for less than 10 minutes.

Generally speaking, it's my understanding from lurking around here that VCNA pays the dealer receiving the OSD car a small amount to take delivery/inspect/wash the car. Is that also correct?

Thank you everyone for the quick response.
      Last edited by zeehar; 02-05-2020 at 04:16 PM.

FDC drains nearly all fuel from the car before shipping. Fire-at-sea is one of the biggest concerns maritime vessels. You should not have to pay for US maps. Safety inspection, perhaps, depends on your dealer pre-arrangement. Washing car, nope, unless they are being petty. Safe driving, enjoy Europe in your Volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by zeehar View Post
      On that - they don't drain the fuel tank when they ship the car, correct? If so then the dealer shouldn't need to fill it up as I left it at the FDC with however much gas there was in there - I drove it for less than 10 minutes.

Generally speaking, it's my understanding from lurking around here that VCNA pays the dealer receiving the OSD car a small amount to take delivery/inspect/wash the car. Is that also correct?

Thank you everyone for the quick response.
      On the maps thing...I seem to recall something in print on the OSD paperwork that clearly states that European maps are loaded to the car for initial delivery, and that US maps will be loaded prior to final delivery. No mention of the dealer dinging you for a 100 bucks.

And, cars are shipped with only a couple of gallons in the tank to facilitate loading and unloading. If they didn’t, just think about the hazard of 4500 cars with 10-12 gallons of fuel on board a transport ship in the middle of the ocean. 45,000+ gallons of fuel to feed an onboard fire is quite a fire load should there be a catastrophic failure in one car that starts a fire. I’m a retired firefighter/fire marshal and I don’t want to contemplate such an event.

Enjoy your new Volvo! Our OSD trip two years ago was a highlight of this old boy’s life!

Yes, when you pick it up at the FDC you will have European maps loaded. When they ship it after your excursion they load your own (North America in your case) maps. They also drain almost all the fuel from the tank, so it's best to turn it in with very little. This is all standard stuff you don't pay for.
      2018 XC60 Momentum T8 (OSD March 2018)

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements