"Anti-Skid Service Required" message? (2008 Volvo S40)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

"Anti-Skid Service Required" message? (2008 Volvo S40)

2008 Volvo S40 with 173,000 miles. My wife was driving when she noticed this "Anti-Skid Service Required" message come up on the dashboard along with a triangle symbol of a car skidding. The car didn't seem to have any other issues as she was driving. One thing to note that it was 30 degrees here this morning with some light snow, which is pretty cold for our area. Any help would be appreciated...

Please keep in mind, I'm not car savvy, thanks for your time.

UPDATE: I had my wife call me when she got back into the car hours later to drive home for an update on the status of the car. She said when she started it up, everything was still the same with the triangle symbol of a car skidding still being on but instead of it saying "Anti-Skid Service Required", it now said "Anti-Skid Temporarily Off" instead. But then she put it in reverse and started driving and everything disappeared including the message and the triangle symbol. It never came back up during her drive home. So that's the latest.....thoughts? Hope this helps.

The last battery replacement we got was back in May 2017. So it's been almost 3 years.
      Last edited by jagsfan05; 02-07-2020 at 03:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      This is typically indicative of the yaw sensor under the passenger seat getting wet (if you have DSTC) or having some kind of wiring interruption if there are no other issues. If there are other (hidden) issues at play it could also be a CEM wiring contact issue. It would be a good idea to scan it with VIDA/DICE to see what's going on - that's a dealer job if you don't have it (can be bought on eBay for about $100).

Others may have other ideas.
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

Did the message go away after a restart? Sometimes a bad battery can lead to this (had it happen myself). Have it checked. Note that sometimes they will pass a check but still cause weird problems. If it’s older than 4-5 years I’d get a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2006 S40 2.4i FWD

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

UPDATE: I had my wife call me when she got back into the car to drive home for an update on the status of the car. She said when she started it up, everything was still the same with the triangle symbol of a car skidding still being on but instead of it saying "Anti-Skid Service Required", it now said "Anti-Skid Temporarily Off" instead. But then she put it in reverse and started driving and everything disappeared including the message and the triangle symbol. It never came back up during her drive home. So that's the latest.....thoughts? Hope this helps.

The last battery replacement we got was back in May 2017. So it's been almost 3 years.

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      Similar to a bad battery it could also be a bad alternator. My S40 has been having odd symptoms like this - anti-skid warning, reduced engine performance, tons of unrelated codes. It still starts up with ease, and the 5 yr warranty AGM battery is only a couple of years old, so I figure it could be the charging system. This could be an early warning to you, and a not-so-early warning to me.

I'm sure others will chime in as well.
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

As I learned on here a couple months ago when I changed my brakes, that error could be from air in brake line that's annoying the ABS system. Maybe it's just time to bleed the brakes? What do the rotors look like? Are they etched and ready for a change?

I've experienced what your wife has many times in my S40 and the Saab 9-3 I owned before it. I've had the Service Required message that disappears when restarting the car and the temporarily disabled messaged that's disappeared after driving a couple hundred feet. The one time I had a stubborn service required message that wouldn't go away was after my I did my rear brakes. And it must have been air in the line like I was suggested. I re-bled the brakes and haven't had a service required or a temporarily disabled message since.

I was a bit surprised when reading the different answers in this thread as I've had this code but not those problems.

Her ABS system was working on her drive home from work and that's the most important thing. Pay attention to if there are messages the next few times she drives. I wouldn't be worried yet.

Your going to have to have the codes read for any reasonable explanation as to what happened.

There are dozens of causes for those warning messages so knowing what the fault code is will help narrow things down.
      2007 S40 T5

Mine does this but only when its cold. sometimes its the BLIS sensors, they randomly say camera blocked or BLIS service required but not at the same time and only happens when i change elevation where theres more moister - I figured its just condensation.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

Our '08 S40 does this every now and then, but it seems to be limited to the cold weather and usually after being driven in a lot of snow/slush/crud. It always resolves itself within a drive cycle or two.
      Logan

2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Polestar
      2008 S40 2.4i - hers

Former:

2013 C30 Polestar Limited Edition #87/250 | 2005 V50 T5 AWD | 1995 Yellow 850 T5-R

I have the same problem. No water under the amp. Took it to my Volvo machanic and he scanned my XC90. BCM-0095 and DEM-0006. MY DEM Haldex Pump and my BCM Break Master Control Modual are not communicating. Both parts are ~ $400 and labor $1500. Right not I have only two wheel drive.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements