Remote Start XC90
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Remote Start XC90

I am considering buying a new XC90 T5 Momentum but have run into a problem which I hope can be resolved. Apparently the remote start feature can only be activated by a "smart phone" after downloading the app from VolvoOnCall. I thought I had it resolved when the dealership provided a link which indicated that you could order an additional key fob designed for remote start. The factory key fob could not access the remote start feature. I later found out that this was done away with in 2018. Apparently there is no way to activate this feature other than with the phone. Problem is that I live in a rural area of WV which is home to the National Radio Astronomy Observatory which is considered a radio free zone. In essence there is no cell service in the 942 sq mile area with the exception of a low output tower in the county seat for about 2 sq miles. It was suggested that I could install an aftermarket unit for the remote start. That would probably amount to having an extra key fob in addition to the regular something I don't want. Any suggestions.

I find this hard to believe. I have a F250 Super Duty work truck and even it has a remote start feature. There are other manufacturers which also have this feature of which their regular key fob operate.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well I finally bit the bullet and purchased the 2020 XC90 T5. The additional Remote Start was installed. It was interfaced with and I am able to use the original Key Fob to activate the feature without having an additional Fob to operate. There is a major downside to this purchase. I discovered that the vehicle requires 91 Octane gasoline. Unlike the three previous T5's ( 2-S60's and 1-XC60) which only required 87 Octane. If I understand the manual the T5,T6 & T8 all require the higher Octane. Real kick in the wallet as here that is 40 cents higher in price per gallon. Although the mileage on the T5 is good in comparison to the cost of operating it is not really justified given the higher fuel price. Any Thoughts?

Congrats! The remote start you installed seems quite useful for people don't want to pay for VoC any more.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

For anyone interested in a Remote Start for 2019 or later Volvos I thought I would post the company that was used for the 2020 XC90. The company was MidCity Engineering. It was installed by Auto Acoustics, Burlington, NC. Here is the link of the company. Although there website only list 2019 model apparently it has not been undated to incorporate the newer models.

https://www.midcityengineering.com/

6. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements