Sudden P0300 misfires shortly after filling up gas tank
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

S60R suddenly has misfires on all 5 cylinders

Hi guys,

Last night I stopped to get gas on the first leg of my road trip from Northern California to Big Sky Montana.

Car was running just fine before stopping to get gas.

After getting gas, within about 1 mile of driving, I suddenly had a loss of power and multiple misfires.

Ran the OBD-II codes and I have the following:

Confirmed:
      P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
      P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
      P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
      P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
      P0304 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
      P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

Pending:
      P0140 - O2 Sensor No Activity Detected Bank 1 Sensor 2 (I believe this is for the downstream O2 sensor)

So, my codes are pointing to multiple misfires, and not much else. I believe the P0140 is a result of the misfires, and not something that can cause misfires.

What do you guys think the problem is?

My suspicion, as hesitant as I am, is to say "bad gas". It seems awfully coincidental to have multiple misfires immediately after filling up.

I was able to limp the car the remaining 60 miles to finish last nights leg of the trip. I filled up with 91 octane as I arrived to my destination. It might have improved the situation a bit, but the car is definitely still running very rough. Multiple misfires.

My plan for today is to keep driving towards Montana, and add brand name 91-octane to the tank as I continue to burn off my existing fuel. I'll likely add some fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank while I'm at it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Arch
      Last edited by Arch Stanton; 02-09-2020 at 10:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Updates from Idaho Falls, Idaho (650 miles driven since last post):

"Bad gas" theory is bull****, as expected. Ran the tank to empty, and filled up with 91-octane at a different station. Issue persists. I tried adding the snake oil known as "fuel injector cleaner" to my tank at the two fill-ups I did today, nothing improved.

Car can only really accelerate when at 3500-4500 RPM. The amount of power available does seem to vary at different times.

Car is currently getting around 20mpg, but the computer thinks it is closer to 13mpg.

Luckily I have my DICE unit with me, currently setting up VIDA on the laptop I brought with me. Hopefully will have some VIDA codes for more diagnosis in the morning.

Battery maybe? I do get misfire's from the battery when it's low.
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Also could be the PEM maybe? Cars get weird af when that starts to go out. (Pump electronic module for fuel pump) although not sure if that would cause misfires...

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black
      Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race
      Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T Silver/Black, 1991 745 White auto, 1982 244 Silver 4spd w/od

My computer mileage went crazy back when my FPS went bad.
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 152k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 53K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 82k

Quote Originally Posted by tabormeister View Post
      Also could be the PEM maybe? Cars get weird af when that starts to go out. (Pump electronic module for fuel pump) although not sure if that would cause misfires...

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black
      I suspect that low fuel pressure of some sort would cause a low fuel pressure code to be triggered, since our cars do have fuel pressure sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by maronha View Post
      My computer mileage went crazy back when my FPS went bad.
      I thought about this, but I've experienced issues a few years ago (which I fixed). When my FPS went out, the engine would randomly cut out on power, then power would return. And, I had a code for the fuel pressure sensor in VIDA, which I don't have now.

OK, I was able to get VIDA set up and ran the codes this morning.

This is what I have:

ECM-3100 Misfire, at least one cylinder - Start up
      ECM-3110 Misfire cylinder 1 - Start up
      ECM-312D - Misfire cylinder 2 - Emission agitation
      ECM-313D - Misfire cylinder 3 - Emission agitation
      ECM-314D - Misfire cylinder 4 - Emission agitation
      ECM-315D - Misfire cylinder 5 - Emission agitation
      Unfortunately, there's really no new information from the generic OBDII codes which I posted earlier.

VIDA suggests the following causes:

Low fuel level
      The engine does not reach normal operating temperature between several cold starts
      Water in the spark plug wells
      Damaged spark plug
      Contaminated or incorrect fuel
      Poor fuel quality (summer fuel in winter).
      Air leakage
      Blocked crankcase ventilation.
      Damaged VVT-unit.
      Blocked / leaking injector
      Faulty fuel pressure
      Uneven compression
      Any ideas what it might be?

What is your reported fuel pressure range while driving / idling ?
      2006 V70R ElectriKap 167k
      2000 V70R Electric silver/Charcol 175K in dry dock being refitted
      1996 850 Platinum Wagon needs a new home (and valve job) - make me a offer

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      Battery maybe? I do get misfire's from the battery when it's low.
      Thanks for the idea. I'm aware that a lot of people will replace the car battery, then applaud themselves when their issue goes away, though all that needed to be done was disconnect & re-connect the battery, and not actually buy a new battery.

Anyways, I disconnected the battery, stepped on the brake pedal to discharge any remaining charge, then reconnected the battery.

Interestingly enough, the car is running much better now. It still misfires at startup, but once the engine is warmed up, it seems to run perfectly without misfires. There's still a tiny bit of sluggishness, but that would be expected as I'm currently at high elevation (7200ft in Big Sky, Montana).

Also, the car's reported fuel economy is suddenly much more realistic.

Right now I have reported misfires on cylinder 1 & 3 only (probably just from the startup), but I've only driven about 10 miles so far. I will see how many cylinders report misfires on the next leg of my trip, 170 miles to Jackson, WY.

What is the condition of sensors that would affect all cylinders at once such as front 02 sensor, MAF, BPS, FPS? What about your fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and ignition coils? You had that pending 02 sensor fault, is it in good condition? Is the 02 sensor fuse blown?

Just throwing out ideas here.
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      Snabb Intercooler/Charge Pipes/Tial Recirc, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings, UR Front Strut Brace
      TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)
      2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
      Thanks for the idea. I'm aware that a lot of people will replace the car battery, then applaud themselves when their issue goes away, though all that needed to be done was disconnect & re-connect the battery, and not actually buy a new battery.

Anyways, I disconnected the battery, stepped on the brake pedal to discharge any remaining charge, then reconnected the battery.

Interestingly enough, the car is running much better now. It still misfires at startup, but once the engine is warmed up, it seems to run perfectly without misfires. There's still a tiny bit of sluggishness, but that would be expected as I'm currently at high elevation (7200ft in Big Sky, Montana).

Also, the car's reported fuel economy is suddenly much more realistic.

Right now I have reported misfires on cylinder 1 & 3 only (probably just from the startup), but I've only driven about 10 miles so far. I will see how many cylinders report misfires on the next leg of my trip, 170 miles to Jackson, WY.

I get the exact same thing, keep in mind I have a lithium battery but this is way more common for me, especially during very low temps. The misfires go away after a little warm up time.
      07R Magic Blue - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      I get the exact same thing, keep in mind I have a lithium battery but this is way more common for me, especially during very low temps. The misfires go away after a little warm up time.
      Is the misfiring on only one cylinder in particular?

I'm currently now only dealing with a consistent misfire on cylinder 1 (P0301), and I do have a "pending" code for cylinder 3 (P0303), which leads me to believe cylinder 3 may be intermittently misfiring.

Now that I have it isolated to one or two cylinders, the issue is much easier to diagnose. I personally suspect ignition coil, since the problem seems to be intermittent-- I don't believe a dirty fuel injector would be intermittent.

My plan is to swap cylinder 1 & cylinder 2's fuel injectors, and swap cylinder 1 & cylinder 4's ignition coils, and see where the misfire moves to. That should narrow it down to whether this is a bad fuel injector or ignition coil.

Definitely swap them and see, my issue is gone since I recharged the battery and it's much warmer now. I've got misfires on 4 out of 5 cylinders when it's 5 degrees out.
      07R Magic Blue - Sold

If you have vida monitor the misfire counters and see which cylinder/cylinders are misfiring. Just beacause theres codes for all dosen't mean all cylinders are actually misfiring. Plug, Coil, Meachanical issue, Injector, in that order its one of those don't complicate it.

Miles on that motor??

Quote Originally Posted by ARATA View Post
      Miles on that motor??
      194,580 at time of photo. It started limping around 192,000, but I had to keep driving to get home.

A few of my posts were accidentally deleted by the mobile version of this forum.

The issue was a burnt exhaust valve in cylinder #1.

Full story is here: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...thing-reliable

purge valve is stuck open, looks like a tcv on the drivers side of the rad near the intake.
      fill up tank, fuel vapors push up through the intake, when they should be going out the carbon canister and the open vent valve
      2001 s80 t6, 2005 Ti grey/atacama v70r auto, 2005 magic blue/nordkap v70r m66

21. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements