AWD right front axle price
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AWD right front axle price

36000561: passenger [right] side drive axle, genuine Volvo. I've tried 3 others - 2 used and a Cardone reman - and still get the uphill wobble at around 50mph. HP keeps going up, so it seems inevitable that I must buy the oem piece.

Anyone got a line on best price? So far it looks like $488.30 at a dealer in Fla.

tia, 686Sport

2008 V50 T5 awd auto. 3"dp, Typhoon intake, Elevate upper and custom ported lower intake, do88 fmic, ARD Stage II, 320's, Bilsteins, iPd rear bar
      2008 V50 T5 awd / 2013 GC Overland / 2009 R1200RT / 2000 Tacoma TRD

I had the wobble too after fixing the RH axle, i got mine off Ebay cheapest option i could find. Try changing your outer endlinks first.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

Dang dude, that sucks. I'd buy junkyard and get it rebuilt by a local shop with a good rep. $200 for OEM + better boots and grease, can't complain.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

4. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

The passenger side shaft is a Cardone that was remanufactured as a special order and cost a bit over $200 with my core; driver's side is called "A-1 Cardone" - much cheaper and no core.

About the only part I haven't replaced is the driver's side outer tie rod joint; is that what you meant by "outer endlink"? Must do this...

Other front end pieces replaced: wheel bearings; control arms; struts/mounts/bearings; rotors/pads; sway bar end links [twice, now with iPd HD]; ball joints.

Despite all the bother, we really like the car. In fact, when my wife heard I was thinking of installing P2 seats, she remarked how comfortable the P1 seats are. She actually preferred riding in the V50 to her F10 BMW! [We've also tried P3's]. If I can get the wobble to go away, pretty much the last upgrade would be a 2.5" charge pipe; actually thinking of just putting a stock fwd pipe on, since it is so much straighter and just does clear the iPd skid plate.

Thanks for suggestions, 686Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 686Sport View Post
      The passenger side shaft is a Cardone that was remanufactured as a special order and cost a bit over $200 with my core; driver's side is called "A-1 Cardone" - much cheaper and no core.

About the only part I haven't replaced is the driver's side outer tie rod joint; is that what you meant by "outer endlink"? Must do this...

Other front end pieces replaced: wheel bearings; control arms; struts/mounts/bearings; rotors/pads; sway bar end links [twice, now with iPd HD]; ball joints.

Despite all the bother, we really like the car. In fact, when my wife heard I was thinking of installing P2 seats, she remarked how comfortable the P1 seats are. She actually preferred riding in the V50 to her F10 BMW! [We've also tried P3's]. If I can get the wobble to go away, pretty much the last upgrade would be a 2.5" charge pipe; actually thinking of just putting a stock fwd pipe on, since it is so much straighter and just does clear the iPd skid plate.

Thanks for suggestions, 686Sport
      Yes tie rods, my mistake.
      2008 S40 T5 AWD ("Shadow") |ELEVATE 3" Intake, 2.5" Charge Pipe, Intercooler, Torque Mount, ECU Mount, TCV, Turbosmart CBV, Turbosmart Actuator, stage 3 APC Tune, 3 Stickers (5HP)ea||ClockWorkCalibrations Custom 3" Exhaust||EuroSportTuning 3" downpipe.||CF Cone Filter||De-Badged||custom Mesh Grill||Intercooler Cut out||Porsche 911 Throttle body upgrade||18" Enkie PDC Wheels wrapped in 225/45/18 Sentury UHP||M3 Spoiler|| 8k Morimoto HID Kit|| White LED Fog,City,trunk light|"embody God, then go crazy"

You sound like me. I replaced everything on the front end twice - and figured out I had a hub bore issue. Solved that, remaining vibration wouldn't go away. I replaced my steering rack and now it is all gone. I could physically move the tire on the passenger side of the car (while the car was on a jack on that corner) by about 1/4-1/2" and after undoing the boot and putting eyes on the steering rack - I could see the actual steering rack itself had some free play in it, despite being fully pressurized and not leaking.

When it leaked I replaced it and it magically really solved the last bit of my vibration issues.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha - 10:1 Wisecos; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

A few days ago the car had 0 steering assist when I pulled out of the garage. Within seconds, the assist reappeared and has been here ever since. At a loss to explain.

At any rate, new driver's side outer tie rod link [MOOG] has been ordered.

686Sport

Junior Member LittleRedRidingHood's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by 686Sport View Post
      A few days ago the car had 0 steering assist when I pulled out of the garage. Within seconds, the assist reappeared and has been here ever since. At a loss to explain.
      That sounds like an electrical issue to me (PS pump is electrical).
      2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66 - Passion Red
      2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD M66 - Titanium Grey
      Hilton Tuning Stage 2 ~ Mototec 3" Downpipe & Sport Exhaust ~ Do88 Intercooler ~ Snabb Intake Pipe
      RIP - 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD Geartronic - Passion Red

New tie rod end took away the worst of the wobble; car feels pretty civilized now.

686Sport

I Found a Guy in Mid Florida that does Beefed Up Axles and special Grease with Special Joints etc. He wouldn't give a Quote without seeing the Axle ..
      Anyhow V50 got sold and I stopped taking it on Long Runs - do to Constant Brake Issues I was having Rotors only lasting 8-9K before Warped ..

Euro Sport Kit or Up Grades from UK might have Solved it , but the Hubs I felt weren't strong enough for the Way I use Brakes .. Apparently .. Life -
      Slam on Brakes to miss a Deer or Miss someone Blowing stop Sign and Cooked - Warped .. Willwoods were a lot better - still Not Full Proof ..

One thing Ford - Did Really Pissed Me Off about Screwed Up Volvo Great Brakes .. at Least the Brakes I remember from Older Volvo's ..
      Guy's Axles were rated for like 500 Hp .. K16 set up stuff .. sorry got Side Tracked . .
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

With a new tune to remove torque delete those axles may become a necessity. Can he look at any old axle, or does it have to be one that is a candidate for rebuild?

For brakes, the 320's with good pads and rotors are adequate on mountain roads and in panic stops from any speed. Had to buff the rotors once after a few thousand miles, and since then they have been flawless. Back in the day I had a pair of 240Z's for track use. One got raced in a class that required all-stock brakes; it got new calipers for every race courtesy of a sponsor, and pads often didn't last a weekend. The other had Wilwoods and ran in a "vintage" class. Those pads were so thick you couldn't wear them down with a 2200-pound car.

However, the V50 will not be seeing the track, no matter how many horsepower it gets to.

Good to know that there's a chance of getting sturdier axles.

686Sport

Do you still have a wobble - if not what axle did you end up using. Today I noticed my RH axle is not completely seated against the transmission, is this what yours looks like or is mine backing out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC there is a sort of snap ring that holds the axle in place. It's pretty much a go/no go proposition, so you're probably OK. There's another thread on here where OP posted a video of his RH axle at the inner seal you've shown; there's a noticeable out-of-round condition as the axle turns. About 30-40 thousandths I'd guess. I have no idea if this can cause the wobble, but tend to doubt it. My Cardone RH custom reman has about the same comdition.

Another suggestion for checking is to aim a pyrometer at the axle support bearing after driving for a while. However, this is not so easy to do unless you have some ramps and remove the belly pan first.

After a few k miles, my wobble is back when climbing or accelerating at 40-50 mph. We should probably just learn to live with it. [sigh]

686Sport - now with ported inlets for even more axle-twisting torque