SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Occasional problems with folding mirrors and 360 camera

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  cam360 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Quite recently I noticed occasional problems with the 360 camera which I found out was related to the folding mirrors. Let me describe the situation. In the morning you step in the car. Mirrors unfold put the car in reverse and on the left or right the 360 camera stays black. At first I thought of a faulty camera. However when pushing the L and R button of the mirrors the mirror on the side where the camera works folds in. The other one stays like it is. Pushing it again does make folding both mirrors. When unfolding again the camera works again. Now I tried the following. When it happens again, shut off the car get out and lock the car. The mirrors will not fold. Unlock the car and lock the car again the mirrors fold.
So the camera looks fine to me but it looks like the mirrors lost their position somehow. Like I said it happens occasionally which makes it hard to diagnose. It happens left and right....

#2 ·
Yeah if your mirrors aren't folding when you lock the car and you have that setting enabled that's a bit odd. Maybe disable that setting, cycle the car a few times lock/unlock. Then re-enable it see if it fixes it.

#4 ·
Yes the camera only displays when the car knows that the mirror is it’s home position. Looks like the software or hardware issue when the car thinks the mirrors are folded. Go to a dealership they could reset it.

I’m having issue when after reversing sometimes the mirrors don’t tilt up again but I just press the set memory button and wait for 10k oil change due in a month 🤦*♂ Got 2,500 miles already 🤙

#7 ·
your post confuses me, i did not understant this part "pushing the L and R button of the mirrors the mirror on the side where the camera works folds in" if one mirror is not folding/unfolding properly, first thing to check is they did not get knocked off their detent. someone walking by could have bumped it and that causes one to not move. try to physically fold that mirror in or out, if it moves without much resistance then clicks in place it could be that simple.

#8 ·
Maybe you are not aware that by pushing the L+R button at the same time makes your mirrors fold in. So looks to me that is the first thing to do to try if the everything works fine.
Further as this happens sometimes on the right side and sometimes on the left side it is most likely not due to someone bumping intio the mirrors.

#9 ·
probably best is to have the dealer look at it. What I know of folding mirrors they are typically self contained, like the position and detent logic are inside the mirror, the door controller just sends a signal "fold" or "unfold" and the mirror does it. But every implementation is different it could be more complicated but hopefully the dealer could reproduce and diagnose it!

Only thing I think you'd want to rule out is the mirror sticking due to ice, usually there is a time out on the motor, if it can't unfold in a set amount of time it stops trying to prevent motor burn out. I imagine you know if that might be the case and doesn't sound like it is. Maybe you live in Florida and that is not even a consideration ;-)

#11 ·
I've had this happen on my vehicle. When I engaged the camera for parking and choose the 360 view option, a side mirror camera view was blacked out. It's happened a couple of times now ... no pattern I can see. The car was relatively clean both times and the area was completely blacked out ... like it was unavailable to stitch together with the other images. In my case, the mirrors retracted normally when the vehicle was locked and retained their programmed position when the vehicle was restarted.

#13 ·
For me it solved by itself and somehow I found out it was related to a dodgy (read chinese) USB cable for charging my phone. It is a USB cable with the magnet. WHen I unplugged this cable this fault did not happen again. Maybe unbelievable but true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.