SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Buying XC90

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  sevusal 
#1 ·
Greetings, first time in this forum, but long time member (different forum name) of legacy XC90 forum. Bought our current 04 XC90 2.5T new via OSD, and it will become our oldest kid’s first car (his birth is reason we bought it for originally).

Looking at buying a used XC90, narrowed it down to a 2017-2019 T6 Inscription, with maybe a R-Design. Options wise primarily want; B&W sound, Advance (mainly for the 360deg camera & ABL), and Climate. Avoiding 2016 just for first MY worries.

I have thoroughly read the threads, but still have a couple of questions:

- Any real configuration or software differences between 17-19 other than packages?
- Looking to avoid Air Suspension for long term maintenance concerns. How can you tell if the vehicle is equipped with air suspension other than the load height button by the tailgate?
- What subscription services will we need/want with the vehicle? Sad to admit, but my wife and I will be coming out of the Stone Age of vehicular infotainment....
- Thoughts on R-Design vs Inscription, mostly from a seat and ride perspective. My wife loved the R seats, but we both have concerns over the big low profile tires and ride.
- Noticed there a 2019 in a Pearl White color. What is the name of that color? Birch or Crystal White? When was it available?
- Any other advice welcome.

On a separate thought, anyone see the new wool interior? Intriguing.

My thanks,
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Air suspension you can see easily on the car. It is not spring shock. But on.pictures maybe not very obvious.

Just make sure it has Pilot Assist 2.

For early 2017 models, get service history and make sure spark plugs have been replaced.

VoC subscription is useful. If you want data plan you can use Mint Mobile $45/3month, or AT&T $20 monthly.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
- Any real configuration or software differences between 17-19 other than packages?
Not 100% - however, I guess they are 99% the same.
- Looking to avoid Air Suspension for long term maintenance concerns. How can you tell if the vehicle is equipped with air suspension other than the load height button by the tailgate?
There are air containers in the trunk (left and right) / air shocks you can see behind the wheels
- What subscription services will we need/want with the vehicle? Sad to admit, but my wife and I will be coming out of the Stone Age of vehicular infotainment....
VOC which I use for preconditioning in the Winter (T8) or locate my car, remote start could be useful as well
- Thoughts on R-Design vs Inscription, mostly from a seat and ride perspective. My wife loved the R seats, but we both have concerns over the big low profile tires and ride.
R-Design doesn't have ventilated seats which can be helpful in Summers. However, R-Design front seats have better support as per my experience.
- Noticed there a 2019 in a Pearl White color. What is the name of that color? Birch or Crystal White? When was it available?
Crystal White Pearl is METALLIC COLOURS and Ice white is standard
- Any other advice welcome.
MY16 is not bad if all issues have been ironed out. It really depends on the conditions of the vehicle.

#5 ·
I don't think you will miss air suspension-- I certainly do not. Don't know how to tell the difference, other than to ask. People like it-- I just think it's something that adds little to what I am looking for in a car, and I just see it as something relatively superfluous that adds little to the car's worth, but can go expensively wrong.

I agree that you should probably skip MY16. You might get a much better deal price-wise, but the risk of something going wrong would be too high for me.

There have been a couple of threads about bad cars slipping through Volvo's certified used inspections. I am sure that it is the exception rather than the rule, but do your due diligence, try for an extended test drive, and consider ponying up through Volvo for extended warranty coverage if you can.

B&W is great!

#7 ·
The engine start/stop button changed sometime after MY2016 and before MY2018. I have a MY2018 and the button goes clockwise for both start and stop. MY2016 feels more like a traditional ignition key; clockwise for start, and counterclockwise for stop.

All else being equal, I prefer the MY2016's convention. Not a big deal though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.