Can’t activate Siri via steering wheel
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Every other vehicle I’ve ever had, you hold down the voice command button for a few seconds and it will activate Siri. I’ve searched on here, and it is supposed to work in the Volvo.

Is there something else I need to activate to make it work? It’s so odd.
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription with Polestar optimization

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BriDroid View Post
      Every other vehicle I’ve ever had, you hold down the voice command button for a few seconds and it will activate Siri. I’ve searched on here, and it is supposed to work in the Volvo.

I dont think so. maybe when you have it hooked up to carplay ?
      2016 Bright Silver Metallic XC90 T8 Inscription, everything
      2015.5 Rebel Blue S60 Polestar 18/40
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      "Just say no to LV VIN codes"

If CarPlay is active I’m unsure why Siri wouldn’t respond after holding the voice button down for a second. A press and release should get you the Volvo voice assistant while a hold should trigger Siri.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BriDroid View Post

Do you have your Phone setup with Bluetooth? If yes, then Bluetooth loads first and one must subsequently activate CarPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

It’s not connected via CarPlay, just via Bluetooth. My Silverado and our old 4Runner did it. The Volvo won’t do it.

It doesn’t do it when connected via CarPlay in the Volvo or my Silverado, there is a button on the screen you push for Siri.
      2017 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription with Polestar optimization

Every auto and infotainment manufacturer has their own implementation.

Here are Volvo’s instructions - assuming that CarPlay is installed.
      https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answe...odel/XC90%20T8

Volvo’s implementation requires a certified Apple data cord that is connected from the device to the white-bordered USB in your Volvo.

Wireless / Bluetooth CarPlay is not enabled. Some owners have purchased and successfully used a third party device for wireless CarPlay.

What year is your 4Runner and other vehicle? Were you using an OEM CarPlay Infotainment system or a third party?

Having had many Toyotas - 4Runners and Camry’s, they have only recently added factory OEM CarPlay compatibility. Seems like ~2017 or later but I am not sure.

Anyway, bottom line is plug in the USB-Lightning data cable and select CarPlay over Bluetooth.

Last edited by Gary-16-Xc90; 02-10-2020 at 10:40 PM.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription | US 10/2015 Build| Crystal White | Blonde | Blonde | B&W | Air | HUD | Convenience Vision Climate | PAII + Mitigation Upgrades | Xpel + Gtechniq Ceramic | 50% Tint & 90% UV Rejection | 20" A/S & 22" Summer | Tow | Last TSU installed 17 Jan. 2020 | 45K miles | See Fuelly.com, 31.8 Lifetime MPG including tows, multiple 1400+ mi. trips and one transcontinental US 5000+ mi trip)

OP, a small point here...

What I suspect you remember is some (older) vehicles have what is called "Siri Eyes Free", which was essentially a predecessor to Apple CarPlay. It worked only via Bluetooth, and is what some auto mfgrs provided before CarPlay first became available in 2014, and more ubiquitous in later MYs. I suspect that's what your older Silverado and 4Runner had. I know if I had waited a year to get a 2014, my former Lexus RX450h would have had Siri Eyes Free.

Like most mfgrs today, Volvo has implemented the more full-function Apple CarPlay that includes the former "Siri Eyes Free" capabilities. It is the only way to get Siri integrated with Infotainment on your newer Volvo. Before ordering my XC60 and even early-on, I wished Siri Eyes Free were available (great if I didn't want to use CarPlay, e.g. just listen to my own USB music), but I've honestly found the more full-function CarPlay is great, especially with my 3rd-party wireless adapter so I don't have to mess with cables. I use Siri all the time to check/add reminders and change music playlists/albums while driving.

My suggestion is if you don't want to use CarPlay with it's additional benefits, enable Siri to always listen on your iPhone; Place your iPhone on your center console while driving; Just say "Hey Siri..." and communicate hands-free directly with your iPhone while driving. It's not as elegant, but certainly a poor-man's way to accomplish most of what Siri Eyes Free used to.
      Last edited by BertL; 02-11-2020 at 08:33 AM.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      OP, a small point here...

What I suspect you remember is some (older) vehicles have what is called "Siri Eyes Free", which was essentially a predecessor to Apple CarPlay. It worked only via Bluetooth, and is what some auto mfgrs provided before CarPlay first became available in 2014, and more ubiquitous in later MYs. I suspect that's what your older Silverado and 4Runner had. I know if I had waited a year to get a 2014, my former Lexus RX450h would have had Siri Eyes Free.

Like most mfgrs today, Volvo has implemented the more full-function Apple CarPlay that includes the former "Siri Eyes Free" capabilities. It is the only way to get Siri integrated with Infotainment on your newer Volvo. Before ordering my XC60 and even early-on, I wished Siri Eyes Free were available (great if I didn't want to use CarPlay, e.g. just listen to my own USB music), but I've honestly found the more full-function CarPlay is great, especially with my 3rd-party wireless adapter so I don't have to mess with cables. I use Siri all the time to check/add reminders and change music playlists/albums while driving.

My suggestion is if you don't want to use CarPlay with it's additional benefits, enable Siri to always listen on your iPhone; Place your iPhone on your center console while driving; Just say "Hey Siri..." and communicate hands-free directly with your iPhone while driving. It's not as elegant, but certainly a poor-man's way to accomplish most of what Siri Eyes Free used to.

To jump into this conversion my 2015 Genesis had the ability with the press of a steering wheel button to activate Siri. It made texting safe and easy. Generally I like to keep my phone in my pocket to avoid the temptation for other things. I've struggled with this in my 18 XC60 as I don't like Car Play. So now I've resorted to having the phone in the cup holder (sans cups) and activate it by calling Siri, as noted above. It works just fine. Hopefully in the next gen Volvo infotainment system there will be a better solution.
      The current: 2019 XC40 T5 AWD Inscription/Crystal White/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & Front Seats, 19" wheels
      2018 XC60, OSD T5 AWD Inscription/Denim Blue/Blonde - Adv, Conv, Vision, Heated Wheel & F/R seats.

The old: 2001 S60 - totaled, 2003 XC90, 2004 S80, 2005 TSX, 2006 S60, 2009 V70, 2010 S80 - totaled, 2012 C30 T5 OSD-sold but kept it in the family, 2012 XC60 Caspian Blue/Beige, 2015 Hyundai Genesis.

I could see where the integrated “Hey, Siri” functionality would be nice to have, particularly in a wireless setting.

I find that wired CarPlay is more useful than “Hey, Siri”.

Hopefully, a future integrated wireless CarPlay will check all of the feature and simplicity boxes that could satisfy a majority of our preferences.

Many in this thread are confusing what you're saying with wireless CarPlay, but I know what you're referring to. Previous makes I've driven allow the bluetooth 'voice search' activation with a voice button long-press. When we purchased our Volvos I've noticed this missing for our phones with Google Assistant or Siri. It's annoying to not have this function, but I've found that "Hey Google" if quiet will activate for me. I've mainly just been using Android Auto though partly because of this limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      I could see where the integrated “Hey, Siri” functionality would be nice to have, particularly in a wireless setting.

I find that wired CarPlay is more useful than “Hey, Siri”.

Hopefully, a future integrated wireless CarPlay will check all of the feature and simplicity boxes that could satisfy a majority of our preferences.

I use "Hey Siri" as well as the long-press button implementation to invoke "her" in both of mine. Agreed that it would be handy either way.
      __________________________________________________ ____________

Hooligan of Volvo
      '19 XC60 T6 AWD Inscription; Pine Gray; Maroon Brown Leather; Pole*
      '16 XC90 T6 AWD Inscription; Ember Black; Charcoal Leather; Pole*

Quote Originally Posted by amnigo View Post
      Many in this thread are confusing what you're saying with wireless CarPlay, but I know what you're referring to. Previous makes I've driven allow the bluetooth 'voice search' activation with a voice button long-press. When we purchased our Volvos I've noticed this missing for our phones with Google Assistant or Siri. It's annoying to not have this function, but I've found that "Hey Google" if quiet will activate for me. I've mainly just been using Android Auto though partly because of this limitation.
      Having OP indicate a Bluetooth only connection would have helped. Even so, as your reference to Android Auto and “Hey Google”, the inferences to CarPlay and Hey Siri are synonymous.

I think we are in agreement that an INTEGRATED but wireless “Hey, [...]” would be a useful option. My guess, though, is that wireless CarPlay or wireless Android Auto will arrive sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-16-Xc90 View Post
      I think we are in agreement that an INTEGRATED but wireless “Hey, [...]” would be a useful option. My guess, though, is that wireless CarPlay or wireless Android Auto will arrive sooner.
      It really is a shame that it lacks the functionality. Phones have had this specifically built into their Bluetooth profiles to detect the long press of a button on a Bluetooth device and activate their voice search function (not just cars - this capability has been in Bluetooth headphones for a while). This should be an easy update for Volvo if they were interested in adding it.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements