Growling Sound on Acceleration
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Growling Sound on Acceleration

Was driving my Sister's 2010 XC90 with 110k miles the other day. It drives fine but noticed that that when cruising along between 30mph to 60mph and I press the gas to accelerate there is a growling sound coming from the front. Can't tell whether its from engine or drive train. According to them its been that way since they got the car at around 30k miles. The dealer supposedly told them thats the characteristic of the 3.2. Any thoughts.
      IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT!
      04 Volvo XC70 5LT 120k Ruby Red - Nice hiway ride, stiff and bouncy in city, problematic door locks and tendency to lock you out, deteriorating moulding trims, groaning steering column (fixed).... this car has one too many error codes. Good thing I got it for a hand-me-down price. The only redeeming quality of this XC70 is its a wagon.
      07 Honda Accord V6 115k Silver - Great ride, Problem Free
      07 Honda Accord L4 110k Bronze - Great ride, Problem Free
      96 MB C220 330k (Parked) Silver - Great ride, Head gasket and wiring harness replaced at 315k (can't complain at that mileage)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Check the front muffler, flex pipes and the upper torque mount. The torque mount when goes bad allows the engine to “tip” uncharacteristically which puts more flex on the flex pipes. The front mufflers crack and the leak at that spot sounds and feels like metal on metal,through the floor but also gives a growl, moan sound.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 140k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - traded with 177k. Lost compression on cyl 5.
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

Most common "growling" on acceleration I have seen is the Upper Torque Mount part number 30680708. Its on the passenger side, top of engine. The rubber bushing shrinks and just rattles. You can grab the aluminum mount and shake it, if it moves, it should probably be replaced. Lower hydraulic engine mounts can also cause this type of noise when they collapse.
      Here is a photo of a bad one.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans60R View Post
      Most common "growling" on acceleration I have seen is the Upper Torque Mount part number 30680708. Its on the passenger side, top of engine. The rubber bushing shrinks and just rattles. You can grab the aluminum mount and shake it, if it moves, it should probably be replaced. Lower hydraulic engine mounts can also cause this type of noise when they collapse.
      Here is a photo of a bad one.
      wondering if the above solutions apply to 2017 models, too?

For what it is worth, the 3.2 is known to be a bit of a noisy - growly engine. What you are hearing may just be its natural disposition. A torque rod mount failing at 30K would be highly unusual. Not out of the realm of possibility - just unusual.
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD l Oyster Grey / Bi-Xenon / Dynaudio / BLIS / VNS / RSE / THULE Aeroblade

I just took ours out for a look and definitely at the forward end it was quite loose. To me it looks as if it could be an age related thing whereby the rubber has just shrunk. I pumped some silicone all around the voids and we'll see how that goes. There is one in the Amazon cart if it does not work out.
      07 XC90 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by voldog View Post
      Was driving my Sister's 2010 XC90 with 110k miles the other day. It drives fine but noticed that that when cruising along between 30mph to 60mph and I press the gas to accelerate there is a growling sound coming from the front. Can't tell whether its from engine or drive train. According to them its been that way since they got the car at around 30k miles. The dealer supposedly told them thats the characteristic of the 3.2. Any thoughts.
      Could you define "growling?"

As others have already said, if there is a vibrating like sound or feel, then it could be related to the engine mounts/torque rod. If it is a smoother vibration growl more so heard not felt, then it could be the transmission, such as a shudder.

If it is an air growl like someone installed an intake on a Honda Civic Si, then that could be the normal variable length intake "growling" when the intake flap changes to adjust for the acceleration in higher rpms. Like a VTEC in Hondas, the 3.2 also has cam profile switching, or second cam, it switches to in higher loads and rpms.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 148k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

The upper torque link looks like it has quite a range of motion in the slot and to me a waste of money and resources to replace it because of a little rattling. My wife says it is nice and quiet now after the sealant fix.
      07 XC90 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
      The upper torque link looks like it has quite a range of motion in the slot and to me a waste of money and resources to replace it because of a little rattling. My wife says it is nice and quiet now after the sealant fix.
      The noise is only another symptom. Because the bushing shrinks, there is excessive movement every time there is acceleration and deceleration, the engine rock more violently. It eventually will destroy the hydraulic engine mounts that are MUCH more expensive. So just because you don't hear it, its still bad.

Other issues on these engines that can "growl". I only listed what I see the most in my first response just by what OP said. Also could be Sister uses cheap gas and you are hearing pre-ignition/detonation. Premium fuel is recommended, see the owners manual.
      Failing AC Compressors AC/Clutch
      Failing Belt Tensioner
      Failing Idler Pulley
      Failing one way clutch on REED unit
      Failing bearing in REED unit
      Failing one way clutch on alternator.
      Failing bearings in Alt.
      Low power steering fluid
      Failing water pump
      Failed hydraulic engine mounts
      Failed Strut mounts (although usually heard driving over rough road or bumps but you would be surprised how far some people let things go)
      Low Transmission Fluid/Bad Trans
      Low Oil
      Failed PCV Diaphragm (has more a high pitch squeal and may have misfires and a CEL)
      Those are just a couple of noise issues I see day to day.

Can this apply to a 2017? someone asked, absolutely but the noise on those are more of a rattle on start-up and clunking when shifting gears from park to reverse or drive. Its a different part than the one I pictured but serves the same purpose. Not fixing it ruins the hydraulic mount underneath it fairly quickly. You'll know when the black hydraulic leaks out everywhere.
      2011 S60 T6 Ember Black/Off Black, P* Tune, TDI-Tuning Box, DO88 Intercooler, IPD DP, Simons Sport Exhaust, IPD rear sway bar, H&R Springs, Bilstein B8's, 19" Polestar Wheels, 90mm Wheel Studs

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans60R View Post
      The noise is only another symptom. Because the bushing shrinks, there is excessive movement every time there is acceleration and deceleration, the engine rock more violently. It eventually will destroy the hydraulic engine mounts that are MUCH more expensive. So just because you don't hear it, its still bad.
      Actually, the upper torque mount replacements already come a little loose (bushing). Besides the normal "wear" from use, it doesn't really shrink, but can compress. Unlike the T6, the 3.2 upper torque mount is encased in a metal slot, thus can rattle laterally, not just from the direction of the engine movement fore and aft.

A LOT of the list you wrote is not isolated from ~30-60mph as the OP stated. The engine issues, like those components with bearings, would be heard in park if the engine was simply revved.

We in the XC90 Gen 1 do not have 2017 models.
      Last edited by ChitownV; 02-14-2020 at 09:18 PM.
      2008 XC90 3.2 AWD - 148k miles, Premium, Versatility 7 passenger, Climate, Convenience, retrofit Morimoto D2S HID bi-xenon, iPd swaybars & poly bushing inserts, Powerflex poly control arm bushings, Bilstein Touring Fr struts, Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus 255/55R18, Fr Infinity tweeters & speakers, hardwired cheap $17 Amazon Bluetooth to center console aux & pwr, CQuartz UK 3.0 ceramic coated, no oil consumption using Mobil 1 0W-40 even w/ my lead foot

About the XC90 3.2 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
      Strut Recommendations based on your specific XC90
      Upgrade front end rebuild with OEM, aftermarket, and original parts
      The better transmission JWS 3309/T-IV fluid for your 5 or 6 speed
      Why it's better to use synthetic oil instead of conventional

Because of the easy way in which my wife drives the car I doubt that our engine mount has ever come close to the end of its travel in the torque mount slot. The silicone 'fix' has taken the rattling noise away. Next time I would try using a couple of pieces of tongue depressor and silicone them in on either end of the loose rubber piece.
      07 XC90 3.2

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements