2020 T8 won't use battery power when in pure or hybrid mode?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2020 T8 won't use battery power when in pure or hybrid mode?

New T8 owner. 950 miles total. The amber check engine light is on constant and the TPS amber light is intermittently on and off. The monitoring system says all the tires are green. Meanwhile, the car won't use any battery power when in pure or hybrid mode. Hybrid battery shows full. Tried both D and B modes. Checked the battery hold function and it is off. Anyone got any thoughts? Thanks.

Coop
      2020 XC90 T8i

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Need to read the CEL code. Better go to dealer if not too far away.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

id lean toward the check engine light effecting hybrid performance. it is under warranty, why not get that repaired first and ask if that is causing hybrid problem also

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      id lean toward the check engine light effecting hybrid performance. it is under warranty, why not get that repaired first and ask if that is causing hybrid problem also
      Yes, we are going to make a service appointment when they open. Just wanted to check around and see if there anyone else has had this occur. Thanks.

Coop
      2020 XC90 T8i

Just spoke with Service Manager. We uploaded the the car data to her. She thinks it might be a bad charging cable / unit / turbo cord. This reminded me that over the weekend, I got a message via the app that the car wasn't charging when I know I had a plugged it in. I went out and unplugged and replugged it back in thinking maybe I hadn't plugged it in properly. The green light came on around the car outlet.

I'm bringing in the car tomorrow and she will do a full diagnosis then. More to come...

Coop
      2020 XC90 T8i

Quote Originally Posted by coopville View Post
      Just spoke with Service Manager. We uploaded the the car data to her. She thinks it might be a bad charging cable / unit / turbo cord. This reminded me that over the weekend, I got a message via the app that the car wasn't charging when I know I had a plugged it in. I went out and unplugged and replugged it back in thinking maybe I hadn't plugged it in properly. The green light came on around the car outlet.

I'm bringing in the car tomorrow and she will do a full diagnosis then. More to come...

Coop
      It might be the charging cable, but if so, then if you have full battery in the car, why wouldn't it use the battery? Also, if the charging cable were the culprit, then why would the CEL be illuminated?

Have your dealer check the ERAD. The ERAD is what applies power to the electric rear drive.
      2018 XC90 T8 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Air Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by beegee View Post
      It might be the charging cable, but if so, then if you have full battery in the car, why wouldn't it use the battery? Also, if the charging cable were the culprit, then why would the CEL be illuminated?

Have your dealer check the ERAD. The ERAD is what applies power to the electric rear drive.
      Thanks. I will have them check the ERAD too. The service manager mentioned that although we were seeing a full battery, the data sent to her was showing only like 72% charge which was probably correct. She said that during charging, at 80% certain systems are reset and at 100% other systems are reset. That was probably why we are seeing the CEL and TPS light too, because the system was unable to clear them at those preset %'s. For instance, I wonder about coming home with a 30% battery, hooking up the charger and leaving :30 minutes later. The battery won't get to 80% in that case. Perhaps it doesn't matter if the turbo cord is working properly? I'll try to get a better explanation tomorrow when we drop the car off.

Coop
      2020 XC90 T8i

Quote Originally Posted by beegee View Post
      ERAD(electronic rear axle drive) is the whole electronic drive unit including motor, does not supply power to the motor. the part you are describing is the IEM (inverter ERAD module). im sorry but trying to diagnose a t8 based on info given is near impossible. could be a lot of different things, only way to know is to plug into vida and read codes and diagnose from there

Quote Originally Posted by brich999 View Post
      ERAD(electronic rear axle drive) is the whole electronic drive unit including motor, does not supply power to the motor. the part you are describing is the IEM (inverter ERAD module). im sorry but trying to diagnose a t8 based on info given is near impossible. could be a lot of different things, only way to know is to plug into vida and read codes and diagnose from there
      yes, you're right. I forgot the acronym off the top of my head.
      2018 XC90 T8 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Air Suspension

OP, I had/have perhaps a similar problem on my new 2020 T8.

Car worked fine for nearly 3 weeks after delivery. Took it in for "we owe" accessories to be picked-up and they found a new BECM Service Campaign that needed to be applied to 2020 T8's (all models) -- A39981. They did that Total Software Upgrade. All was fine on the drive home. Plugged-in for overnight charging which completed via my 240V Chargepoint wall charger. Next morning when I turned my T8 on, yellow engine check light came on after normal IC diagnostic checks. Tried the normal, turn off/on, short drive, etc 4 or 5 times -- same problem each time. Called dealer service when they opened, and they had me bring it in. Started the car to take it in, and this time, no check engine light, but I'd swear something odd was going on with the hybrid battery not engaging like it should -- the normal hybrid smoothness was replaced with how an ICE feels. Service found several "unusual" codes, but "no fault tracing", so after a test drive, cleared the codes and told me if the problem reoccurred they would have to give me a loaner, keep my T8 longer and they'd need to engage Volvo for further diagnostics.

In the past two weeks, I've had no more check engine lights, but do still think something with that software-only BECM Service Campaign either caused a problem, or by coincidence (I doubt it), some BECM/ERAD issue has started occurring. I'm trying to trace down a more easily described pattern to what I think is happening with what I'd call "my hybrid battery functionality temporarily disappearing", but will likely be calling to take it in next week... Net is, in Hybrid mode (I've not complicated this to try PURE since the problems began), I can back-out and start out fine, but even traveling slower speeds (<30mph), the right IC display will all of a sudden change as if there is no hybrid battery available to use (when I have 3/4 or more charge avail) -- display looks like it does when parked and ICE clearly is on for no apparent reason. The IC display may then again for no apparent reason while driving change to show the hybrid battery can be used again -- but oddly sometimes starts out at only a few marks up on the dial, then jumps to the more normal position around 11 o'clock where ICE will kick in. Odd. I've had it happen on the flat, going uphill, downhill, slower speeds and even driving along fine at 50+MPH where it drops back into ICE mode as I take lightly being to lift my foot off the accelerator a bit as one would normally do anticipating a stop ahead. Very odd. Something changed, and not for the good.

Good luck on your resolution! Me too!
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

As you can imagine diagnosing a car is problematic especially if it does not misbehave consistently. I might suggest that you use your phone and video when the system seems to be screwing up. Assuming you can do so safely of course. As noted these are complex cars with many sensors, and inputs. I know you will get it taken care of, hopefully with the least amount of headache.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      As you can imagine diagnosing a car is problematic especially if it does not misbehave consistently. I might suggest that you use your phone and video when the system seems to be screwing up. Assuming you can do so safely of course. As noted these are complex cars with many sensors, and inputs. I know you will get it taken care of, hopefully with the least amount of headache.
      Yes, thx. I spent my career with tech support, PD and all that sorta stuff. It's why I'm trying to figure out a pattern or at least a more concise way to describe the symptoms, since its intermittent and not a big fat red "do not or cannot drive" situation. My teams and I were on the receiving end of customer intermittent problems that were nearly impossible for us to really work on without more detail, so I try hard not to do that myself when I'm the customer. I've tried having my iPhone at the ready, but as you say, safety concerns of the moment have been a problem capturing the problem, especially because the issue sometimes lasts only a few seconds before it goes back to normal.

It's frustrating as you say, but I have no reason to believe I won't eventually get the problem resolved. It's certainly the sort of thing that happens with newer more complex tech, from even a well-intentioned and well-established company that embarks on a bold new journey -- but it's also why, now being a single-car owner, I don't jump into the first year production of a vehicle with major new tech either, like I used to be OK with.
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

15. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements