SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Curve Speed Assist and Passing Assistance

5K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  FusionRedXC60 
#1 ·
How do I activate these features? I know Curve Speed isn't automatically on because when using navigation it will take some ramps at the cruise speed and not slow down at all. Quite thrilling but not exactly what I want to feel when driving home. With passing assist, I'll indicate after it has detected a car in front of me but before it slows down but it never accelerates to pass the slower car just continues at the cruise speed.

#2 ·
Swipe screen to the right and activate it

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

#6 ·
These features are in late build model year 2020 cars. I have a 2019 S60 T8 and got shorted the BLIS with steer assist. Helpful with fast-approaching erratic Los Angeles drivers that come up on your arse quickly without signaling. Car will steer itself back into the lane to avoid a collision. Got used this on my S90, but it is now on the 2020 S60's. I wonder if Volvo will push this update to cars that have the hardware to support this. I am assuming the Items above are just software. Hopefully it comes to our cars. Curve assist would be great as I come into corners pretty hot sometimes with Auto pilot engaged.

#13 ·
I have no idea what everyone is talking about, unless...

The curve assist is a part of PA3
And the passing assist is just the speeding up part of the ACC/PA when your left blinker is on (and you're behind a slower car)

#14 ·
I use the "self-driving" functionality on a daily basis since getting my XC90 back in 2016. I got used to its shortcomings, such as it's inability to calculate the curve in a road and slow down accordingly. If they've fixed it, awesome. I'm just not sure how far ahead the camera(s) look ahead to make those adjustments.

#19 ·
Talked to someone at Volvo and this is what they said. "After researching the Curve Speed Assist feature, here you can view our safety features. If you scroll down to the "Pilot Assist" section, it will say the following, "Western European markets benefit from Curve Speed Adaption, a function that uses map data to adapt cruising speed in curves to a comfortable level."

Also on that same page it says this "For the EU and US, Pilot Assist is connected to the navigation system and has an ‘electronic horizon’ function that increases accuracy and performance in curves." And it definitely doesn't seem to care about curves and continues at the same speed. So I guess we just get curves at an uncomfortable level. Hopefully this lack of information and clarification results in deaths and class action lawsuits.

#29 · (Edited)
The ERAD power will be always available, at least for a short while. The physics is indeed there. If you drive on Pure mode till ICE kicks in, then switch to Power mode, then press down full throttle to pass a fast car on your right lane on a uphill road, you could loose the combined ICE + Battery power in just several seconds for example. You could only have ICE power while battery level is too low.

And also keep in mind, ERAD will not be engaged above 75mph.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

#30 ·
The battery on B5 and B6 engine is mild, or weak to be frank. I am not sure if it could make the car move in parking lot. You better just think it as just 10-15% fuel saving, no real power gain.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

#31 ·
I might not be as confident that it works out that way FusionRedXC60...either the engine or the kinetic energy of the car has to be putting it back in the battery just as fast as I use it. I think about my driving habits, I mean I drive kinda aggressive with the sport chassis, but we are talking about very short spurts of power at best in street driving. It's too much math to think about. You have any thoughts as you own a T8, does it ever feel "depleted" or have you tried to induce that sort of mode just to see what it feels like and what it takes to recover?

I did find the B6 info, it's a new tech "e-charger turbo", which I believe is hybrid electric/exhaust driven turbo. https://www.volvocars.com/intl/cars/new-models/v60/specifications/features#

I totally hijacked this thread ha

#32 ·
I have not tried power mode after battery is used up in pure mode. Can be an easy experiment and we have some uphill road here.

The e-charger turbo seems just another form of supercharge, driven by electric instead of cam shaft.

The PA description at the link still mentioned speed adaptation on curves and map data to help. How we wish this is truly available!

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.