08 AWD drive, Angle gear failure?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

08 AWD drive, Angle gear failure?

I dropped my 08 XC90 V8 off at the local shop to have them look at the AWD system. I noticed it a few months back that it seemed like the AWD system wasn't working and the traction light would flash a few times. Well it turns out the AWD is not working, and the tech was able to turn the prop shaft by hand. Tell tale sign that somethings up, figuring this would be an expensive fix the quoted me a minimum of $1200 depending on what they find when they get in there.

My question is and I know it hard to say without opening the car up. What would be the normal area of failure here? What would be the worst case failure? I would hat ewfor them to open the car up and it ends up costing me $4K for all this. I'm worried that it would be the whole transfer case. Unfortunately it being a V8 the sub frame and exhaust look like they have to come off as well.

Also it looks like the valve cover gaskets are seeping a little, AC is in operative (need condenser replaced), has a transmission shudder (trans flush?), and I have catalyst inefficiency code. I've had the car since September but already it looks like its becoming a money pit.

What would you guys do?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

How much do you have 'invested'?
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post
      How much do you have 'invested'?
      $500 in tires
      $500 in having the tensioner, serpentine belt changed
      $200 in the front end suspension

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I think assume the worst and act accordingly. $6000?
      07 XC90 3.2

How much did you pay for the car originally?
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Bursting Blue / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | HUD | Powered Load Cover | Mud Flaps | Rubber Floor Mats | Polestar Optimization

For parts, labor, tax, I'd plan for ~$3,500-4,000 if the angle gear needs replacing. While it's all taken apart I might suggest having the mechanic also replace the engine mounts -- probably able to do it without any additional labor charge.
      Toby
      2008 S80 T6 AWD Black Stone / Anthracite Black 95k miles
      2008 XC90 V8 Executive Ember Black / Offblack 120k miles
      SOLD: 2005 XC70 Lava Sand / Taupe 176k miles
      Sammamish, Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Iamhives View Post
      How much did you pay for the car originally?
      I got it for $4K, seems like its not worth investing anymore money into and just chalk it up to a loss and move onto something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II View Post
      For parts, labor, tax, I'd plan for ~$3,500-4,000 if the angle gear needs replacing. While it's all taken apart I might suggest having the mechanic also replace the engine mounts -- probably able to do it without any additional labor charge.
      Oh jesus. I like the car, it's comfortable has all the bells and whistles on it but at that cost it would be hard to justify getting it fixed.

You have to think of it in a different way. What would your next car be if you moved on? Do you like the current car, or are you open to getting something new?

If you did tires, belts, and have these major repairs done (catalyst code evaluated, angle gear, AC, you'll probably be good for another 100k miles (apart from suspension - not sure the state of that). Keep in mind that you could go buy another car like this one, for 4k, and still have issues in a year or so. Now you've ended up spending more plus taxes and registration for the new car. Think of it relative to your next car adventure.

Of course, if you say you want to just buy a brand new car, or one that is a year or so old, that's a totally different argument.
      2005 S40 2.4i

Quote Originally Posted by mgm7890 View Post
      You have to think of it in a different way. What would your next car be if you moved on? Do you like the current car, or are you open to getting something new?

If you did tires, belts, and have these major repairs done (catalyst code evaluated, angle gear, AC, you'll probably be good for another 100k miles (apart from suspension - not sure the state of that). Keep in mind that you could go buy another car like this one, for 4k, and still have issues in a year or so. Now you've ended up spending more plus taxes and registration for the new car. Think of it relative to your next car adventure.

Of course, if you say you want to just buy a brand new car, or one that is a year or so old, that's a totally different argument.
      I like the current car, I looked specifically for one that was optioned with all the bells and whistle on it.

Replacing the AC condenser, valve cover gaskets and trans flush I can take care of. I had a friend recommend an O2 spacer for the catalyst code and see if that would help. That would still leave with figuring out the angle gear/ awd issue.

Is there any place that sells refurbished units?

I am surprised G hasn't stepped in here yet.. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...Angle-Gear-%29

The AGs were updated around 2009. So if you get a new/refurb you will be ok for the rest of the life of the car. Definitely a bigger job on the V8.
      2010 XC90 V8 - 140k miles
      2012 S60 T5 - traded with 177k. Lost compression on cyl 5.
      2009 C30 - Totaled. It ate a minivan at 35mph.
      2006 S40 - at 217k it was tired and needed too much.
      2008 XC90 3.2 - traded with 220,780 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Masscomguru View Post
      I am surprised G hasn't stepped in here yet.. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...Angle-Gear-%29

The AGs were updated around 2009. So if you get a new/refurb you will be ok for the rest of the life of the car. Definitely a bigger job on the V8.
      Reading that thread and seeing how much folks paid to get this fixed was like taking a bullet. Ugh

Check out www.volvobylnb.com they rebuilt my xc60s rear diff.

They should be able to do it for a good price.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      Showing up at the track in mommy's old station wagon will not make you cool.
      Now 2011 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD Executive, Luxury Package. Rear Camera Assist Camera. Multimedia Package. ABL. BLIS. Premium Electric Silver/Soft Beige. 117K. (2011-)
      2011.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD. Climate Package. Rear Park Assist Camera. Convenience Package. Technology Package. Exterior Styling Kit. ABL. BLIS. Premium Electric Silver/Sandsoft Beige. 101K. (2010-)

Then 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i. Sport Package. Climate Package. Convenience Package. Black/Dark Beige. (2005-2010)
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. Premium Package. Versatility Package. Convenience Package. Climate Package. Titanium Gray Metallic/Light Taupe.(2005-2011)

My Volvo Instagram: http://https://www.instagram.com/thevolvoowner/
      My Photography Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lomaarts/

Quote Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
      Reading that thread and seeing how much folks paid to get this fixed was like taking a bullet. Ugh
      What makes this expensive is the labor/time.

Dropping the subframe to do the repair has significant advantages: you get to replace a whole bunch of parts that probably need replacing, at no extra cost, because it all has to be re-assembled anyway. Most shops will just take the new part and install in place of the old part. But you have to specify it, the tech woon't do it automatically. Buy from FCP and you have a "life-time" guarantee on the parts. Or better yet, have a dealer do the work and get a Life time warranty on parts and labor!
      2009 XC90 V8 R-Design

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements