SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

08 AWD drive, Angle gear failure?

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  PAX5 
#1 ·
I dropped my 08 XC90 V8 off at the local shop to have them look at the AWD system. I noticed it a few months back that it seemed like the AWD system wasn't working and the traction light would flash a few times. Well it turns out the AWD is not working, and the tech was able to turn the prop shaft by hand. Tell tale sign that somethings up, figuring this would be an expensive fix the quoted me a minimum of $1200 depending on what they find when they get in there.

My question is and I know it hard to say without opening the car up. What would be the normal area of failure here? What would be the worst case failure? I would hat ewfor them to open the car up and it ends up costing me $4K for all this. I'm worried that it would be the whole transfer case. Unfortunately it being a V8 the sub frame and exhaust look like they have to come off as well.

Also it looks like the valve cover gaskets are seeping a little, AC is in operative (need condenser replaced), has a transmission shudder (trans flush?), and I have catalyst inefficiency code. I've had the car since September but already it looks like its becoming a money pit.

What would you guys do?

#2 ·
How much do you have 'invested'?

#3 ·
$500 in tires
$500 in having the tensioner, serpentine belt changed
$200 in the front end suspension

#5 ·
How much did you pay for the car originally?

#7 ·
I got it for $4K, seems like its not worth investing anymore money into and just chalk it up to a loss and move onto something else.

#6 ·
For parts, labor, tax, I'd plan for ~$3,500-4,000 if the angle gear needs replacing. While it's all taken apart I might suggest having the mechanic also replace the engine mounts -- probably able to do it without any additional labor charge.

#8 ·
Oh jesus. I like the car, it's comfortable has all the bells and whistles on it but at that cost it would be hard to justify getting it fixed.

#9 ·
You have to think of it in a different way. What would your next car be if you moved on? Do you like the current car, or are you open to getting something new?

If you did tires, belts, and have these major repairs done (catalyst code evaluated, angle gear, AC, you'll probably be good for another 100k miles (apart from suspension - not sure the state of that). Keep in mind that you could go buy another car like this one, for 4k, and still have issues in a year or so. Now you've ended up spending more plus taxes and registration for the new car. Think of it relative to your next car adventure.

Of course, if you say you want to just buy a brand new car, or one that is a year or so old, that's a totally different argument.

#10 ·
You have to think of it in a different way. What would your next car be if you moved on? Do you like the current car, or are you open to getting something new?

If you did tires, belts, and have these major repairs done (catalyst code evaluated, angle gear, AC, you'll probably be good for another 100k miles (apart from suspension - not sure the state of that). Keep in mind that you could go buy another car like this one, for 4k, and still have issues in a year or so. Now you've ended up spending more plus taxes and registration for the new car. Think of it relative to your next car adventure.

Of course, if you say you want to just buy a brand new car, or one that is a year or so old, that's a totally different argument.
I like the current car, I looked specifically for one that was optioned with all the bells and whistle on it.

Replacing the AC condenser, valve cover gaskets and trans flush I can take care of. I had a friend recommend an O2 spacer for the catalyst code and see if that would help. That would still leave with figuring out the angle gear/ awd issue.

Is there any place that sells refurbished units?

#12 ·
Reading that thread and seeing how much folks paid to get this fixed was like taking a bullet. Ugh

#14 ·
What makes this expensive is the labor/time.

Dropping the subframe to do the repair has significant advantages: you get to replace a whole bunch of parts that probably need replacing, at no extra cost, because it all has to be re-assembled anyway. Most shops will just take the new part and install in place of the old part. But you have to specify it, the tech woon't do it automatically. Buy from FCP and you have a "life-time" guarantee on the parts. Or better yet, have a dealer do the work and get a Life time warranty on parts and labor!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.