Help please, a favour from anyone with a T8 (preferably pre-2019)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Help please, a favour from anyone with a T8 (preferably pre-2019)

I'm struggling to work out why I don't have as much range as I used to on electric power. Is there anyone out there with a 2016-2018 XC90 who would do me a big favour and post a picture of the total battery power available from a full charge?

What I am asking for is for someone to take a fully-charged XC90, press trip reset on the "driver performance" screen, and then go as far as possible on a charge in Pure mode and take a photo when the battery dies. I don't think it should matter whether the trip is efficient or not, as long as all the battery is used up.

My current example of this is attached. Total 21.9km on a charge (with a tiny bit of petrol usage, so probably 21 in reality). But the blue bars are what matters. Including an allowance of around 1/4-1/2 kWh/100km for regeneration it seems to me that this screen is showing a total power used of 5 to 5.5 kWh from the battery. I am absolutely sure that this isn't as much as it used to be, and I'm trying to convince my dealer that this is the case (I used to get up to 30km from a charge when it was working properly).

If anyone has the time and inclination to help I'd be really appreciative.

IMG_1013.jpeg

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My test case may not help as the temperature in Toronto is under zero Celsius.
      2016 XC90 T8 Inscription

I get that :-) Temperature at the time would be useful to know, but it would also be interesting to know whether that makes a difference. Mine was at 20C or so.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

That's not a measure of total battery power available. It's a rate of battery use (consumption of energy - kWh/100km) and it will vary dramatically based on external factors including driving uphill vs flat vs downhill (downhill you'll get a much higher rating than other topography), temperatures, speed, rate of acceleration, use of defroster, etc. Generally though, if you're using 100% battery the rating should be close to the top of your range, meaning you consumed a lot of battery energy to move your T8 since it wasn't supplemented by ICE. The lower the more efficiently the battery was used but it's because it received ICE assist (one way to think of it).
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

I would have said winter, but you’re in the Southern Hemisphere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Current:
      Linnéa: 2017 Osmium Grey XC90 T8 R-Design Vision/Climate/Conv/Air/B&W/Booster
      Deceased:
      Inga: 2004 Titanium Gray/Gobi S60R - Navigation, ipd tune, hood vent, rear window spoiler
      Astrid: 2015.5 Sapphire Black/Nubuck XC60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum BLIS Climate Polestar

How exactly is 5-5.5 kWh calculated based on the data from the photo?
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

I'm aware of what it's measuring. But the area under the graph (when properly calculated) is the total power supplied to the motors by the full battery charge, plus regeneration.

I'm only asking if someone else would take the trouble to do the same experiment on their vehicle (even if it's in different units), just to help me and the local dealer.

If you look at the first column, that's 10km travelled at an average of 30 kWh/100km, which is a total of 3kW used. The second column shows pretty much the same. The third column shows 20kWh/100km but for only 1.9km, which is about 0.4kW.

However, on average I seem to generate between 0.3 and 0.5kW due to regeneration (you can see this if you look at a lot of these graphs when you have no battery left). Thus this figure needs to be removed from the longer columns. Let's say 0.4kW, so there's 2.6kW in the first and second 10km and about 0.3kW in the final one, total of 5.5kW supplied by the battery (it's actually a little less because just under 1km was done under engine in this example).

I am almost sure that when the car was operating properly this graph showed nearer 7kW useful power supplied in the same situation, and this equated to a range near 30km when in warm conditions driven carefully. But I don't have photographic evidence that this was the case before the latest software update.

Just checking my recent drive on VOC, the battery usage is around 7 kWh
      My car is 19 XC90 T8. It is winter now. Summer will be better.
      You are right. Battery usage should be 7kWh or more

One thing you can also do is checking charger app (my is ChargePoint). It can tell
      you how much kWh added to battery when charging. Mine is around 8.6 kWh

Quote Originally Posted by likeXC90 View Post
      How exactly is 5-5.5 kWh calculated based on the data from the photo?
      Quote Originally Posted by tillsbury View Post
      If you look at the first column, that's 10km travelled at an average of 30 kWh/100km, which is a total of 3kW used. The second column shows pretty much the same. The third column shows 20kWh/100km but for only 1.9km, which is about 0.4kW.
      Got it, it's the area under the graph - thanks!
      However, is Volvo grossly rounding the y-axis numbers up or down here? For example the 21.9 on the x-axis is shown as 30 and the y-axis values happen to exactly be 30 and 20. (Could the y-axis values instead be 34.4 and 24.4 which would produce a higher kWh or, following the x-axis example, 20.1 and 10.1, which would produce even worse kWh?)
      Last edited by likeXC90; 02-12-2020 at 05:39 PM.
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

I'm aware of what it's measuring. But the area under the graph (when properly calculated) is the total power supplied to the motors by the full battery charge, plus regeneration.

I'm only asking if someone else would take the trouble to do the same experiment on their vehicle (even if it's in different units), just to help me and the local dealer.
      If you’re looking to calculate the area under the bars (it’s a course measure based on averages) that you may want to switch your app to 1km increments if it’s available - I don’t recall if it’s an option along with 10km and 100km. At 1km increments you may get finer measure/detail to estimate consumed energy. The downside is you have to stop at 10km and sum up each bar before continuing driving the next 10km and so on. Good luck with that. As other have mentioned, VOC is a better tool to see how much you’ve actually consumed during a drive and the nice thing is it gives you a good reading on how much battery you used. Another option is if you get a OBDII scanner and record your drive with it. I use the Car Scanner app along with my wireless (WiFi/BT) plug to read settings. It sounds like you’re concerned about battery capacity. An OBDII will tell precisely tell you the charge state of your battery (it may read fully charged in the dash but may only be at 90% capacity for example).
      2005 Boxster - EuroDelivery Atlas Grey (Street: Boxster S 18"/Track: Cayman S 18")
      2010 XC90 3.2 R-Design AWD - OSD Ice White (Winter: Vulcanis 19"/Summer & Off-Road: Panacea 18")
      2017 XC90 T8 R-Design eAWD - OSD (Pole✦ envy) Passion Red (Vision|Convenience|B&W|Climate|HUD|Air 4C|Lighted Running Boards|Tow|Center Booster|iPad|Protective Plate...) w/ChargePoint Home
      --
      Our first: 2001 V40 1.9T - OSD Atlantic Blue (Summer: Galactica 16"/Winter: Spectra 15")

Ideally you should use a charger that meters how much is going into the battery. My JuiceBox 40 does this. I get about 8-9 kWh metered from the outlet to my 2018 T8 depending how low I can discharge the battery. That figure doesn't account for charging voltage conversation losses inside the car (near 10% or so). 2016-2017, 2018-2019, and 2020+ all have different battery sizes as well. In a 2016-2017 XC90, I think you would get 25km in moderate driving conditions using Pure. Cold temperatures and high speeds or max electric acceleration will reduce it.
      Last edited by 392DCGC; 02-15-2020 at 10:10 PM.

Ok we've strayed a little from the original request it seems.

Is there anyone out there with an XC90 who would be willing to take a photo for me?

Here you go. Reset and drove in Pure. Tried to avoid engaging the ICE, but it came on for a tiny bit. Took the photo at the instant the electric ran out and the ICE engaged.
      2017 XC90. ~50K km.

Note, I live at the top of a hill. This drive started at home, went down to the coast, and then back, so a good amount of regen in the first half of the drive.

I'm struggling to work out why I don't have as much range as I used to on electric power. Is there anyone out there with a 2016-2018 XC90 who would do me a big favour and post a picture of the total battery power available from a full charge?

What I am asking for is for someone to take a fully-charged XC90, press trip reset on the "driver performance" screen, and then go as far as possible on a charge in Pure mode and take a photo when the battery dies. I don't think it should matter whether the trip is efficient or not, as long as all the battery is used up.

My current example of this is attached. Total 21.9km on a charge (with a tiny bit of petrol usage, so probably 21 in reality). But the blue bars are what matters. Including an allowance of around 1/4-1/2 kWh/100km for regeneration it seems to me that this screen is showing a total power used of 5 to 5.5 kWh from the battery. I am absolutely sure that this isn't as much as it used to be, and I'm trying to convince my dealer that this is the case (I used to get up to 30km from a charge when it was working properly).

If anyone has the time and inclination to help I'd be really appreciative.

IMG_1013.jpeg
      I get early 20s km range on battery power alone. I've never exceeded 28km range and I usually cut out aircon or fans or heaters, but leave radio (FM) playing. When it gets too hot, I briefly switch on aircon.

In the past I drove with sunroof or windows open but aircon off. Range remains the same. It only gets worse when I have aircon on.

I wish I could do at least 80% of advertised range. This is the reason I'll shy away from full electric

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
      ------
      T8 Inscription - With almost all bells and whistles, bar leather on dash and upper fascia - Regretting not having them

20. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements