SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Help me troubleshoot parasitic drain

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SwissXC90 
#1 ·
Vehicle: 2007 XC90 V8 with approximately 130,000 miles.

Issue: Battery drain while the car is off, no key in the ignition, alarm on or off. Both front and 2nd row 12volt sockets stays energized as well as the RSE system, even if I leave the car sitting all day.

What I've done so far: I've hooked up my multimeter in series on the negative side of a brand new battery, closed the latches on the hood, driver side door and rear tailgate so I can keep them open to access the fuse panels. Car thinks everything is in the closed position and it can enter "sleep mode".

I measured about .35amps being drawn from the battery, I started pulling fuses one by one with out putting them back until had an empty fuse panel. I did this to the fuse panel in the engine bay, left of the driver side dashboard, under the dash below the steering wheel, and rear cargo compartment.

Car had zero fuses installed and only managed to bring the amp draw down to .30amps. But what makes this odd is that the 2 front 12volt sockets and RSE system was still getting power! I double and triple checked that all fuses where removed especially the one for the 12volt sockets. I even removed the power connector for the CEM. The rear cargo 12volt socket had no power as I removed the fuse for that one.

I am stumped with this issue. My next move is to check the alternator to see if that is drawing power from the battery. If it is, would that cause the RSE and 12v sockets to still be energized even with the fuses removed?
Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a Subaru wagon that had half the drain through a wire connector running under a wet floor carpet and the other half from a hot wire run all the way to the back bumper and wrapped around the mount.

I found one from a seat belt buzzer in a GM car after the poor woman had been taken to the cleaners with multiple battery and alternator changes.

I think you are getting closer and probably it is a good idea to isolate the alternator and go from there. It takes time and logical thinking and I am confident you will find it. Do you have wiring diagrams? Are they shown in Vida?

#3 ·
Thanks Vince for the reply and the vote of confidence. I do have wiring diagrams downloaded from online. I also have ViDA but the wiring diagrams are limited, unless I'm looking in wrong sections?

I disconnect the alternator cable with no change an amp draw. So I decided to start from the battery and work my way forward starting with the fused junction box just left of the battery. After pulling all 6 fuses , the #2 fuse killed power to the DVD player and both 12v sockets, dropping the amp draw to .03-.02 amps. According to the wiring diagram that 40amp fuse is for "11 M/1 Fuse in spare fuse holder, cargo compartment".

Fuse holder and fuse 11 M/1 is located rear right under the removable carpeted/foam corner piece.

I reinstalled all fuses in the junction box bringing the amp draw back up. I then pulled the 11 M/1 10amp fuse and again both DVD and 12v sockets turn off and amps drop to .03-.02amps. Fuse 11 M/1 is for the "DVD player / control module, 30-feed Rear Audio Separation module (RAS), 30-feed"

Now I know for sure where the amp draw is coming from. But what would cause both the DVD and 12v socket to stay energized?
I'll update as I continue to troubleshoot but any input is great appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.