XC90 T8 charging at a slower rate using 110 (latest software)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

XC90 T8 charging at a slower rate using 110 (latest software)

Last week, I took my car in for a variety of items, included in that was an update to the latest software version.

Prior to the service, when charging on 110 using the TurboCord, I would add about 3 miles per hour of charging.

After the service, I'm only getting less than 1 mile added per hour of charging.

It's garage parked with temps in the 50-60 F.

Anyone else experience this?
      2018 XC90 T8 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Air Suspension

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My guess it with a 110v plug I am charging at about 3 miles per hour. Good to bad?
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

OP, is your observation on the actual time it takes to complete a full charge, or the estimated time the IC and/or VoC display to complete the task?

IMO, the estimated time was way off to begin with, but got worse after the BECM Service Campaign update was applied last month. FWIW, I only charge my T8 at 240V (using a Chargepoint Wallcharger, not the Volvo cable which I’ve never even tried), and have not see any time difference to complete the actual charge after the software update, only the displayed estimates being further from reality — my 11.6kWH battery still completes a near full charge in <3hrs. (E.g. it should not take more than ~3hrs to charge my T8 at 240V 16A, but with a near empty battery, have had VoC/IC report it will take 5-7 hours to complete the charge, and just this morning after returning from a quick errand where the battery only needed 4 miles to “fill-up” (of the 20 it has when full), VoC/IC reported it would take 2.75 hours to complete, but it actually was done in well less than an hour as it should have been.)

One other thought — likelihood of this with a T8 is not as great because of Volvo’s implementation, but without going into all the detail, my former Tesla always charged faster when “empty” and began to exponentially slow down the rate of charge as it went over 85% to 100% (and in very hot weather, which isn’t your issue.) IOW, are your observations of slower 110V charging rates comparing a full charge when the battery was empty before and after the update, or perhaps just a “top off” where there may be some amount of natural slow down? Again, I realize from other threads Volvo holds more of it’s top-end battery capacity out of owner control, so my trying to correlate with what I experienced with my Tesla may not apply ...just trying to offer ideas.

Good luck!
      Bert

Present: ‘20 XC60 T8 Inscription
      Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I don't own a T8, but for 110 charging is there an 8 amp (vs. 12 amp) setting on the charger or in the software...aka: is it in 8 amp mode vs. 12 amp? I know my old Chevy Volt had both settings on 110....
      2012 XC60 R-Design - Passion Red / Off-black/Cream Accents, Platinum, Polestar, & Climate
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Multicoat Red / Black

Quote Originally Posted by cab View Post
      I don't own a T8, but for 110 charging is there an 8 amp (vs. 12 amp) setting on the charger or in the software...aka: is it in 8 amp mode vs. 12 amp? I know my old Chevy Volt had both settings on 110....
      Good thought. Unlike my former Tesla, there is no amperage setting in the T8 or on the Volvo charger cable itself, but what the circuit the T8 is plugged-into could make a difference.

(Side warning to others, and I’m no electrician: Don’t change breaker size to increase amperage without correct wiring to handle the new load, or you may create a fire hazard.)
      Bert

Past: ‘15 Tesla S90D; ‘14 SLK250; '13 RX450h; ‘09 335i; ‘06 RX400h; ‘02 SC430; ‘99 RX300; ‘95 SC300; ‘91 Legend...

When I purchased my T8, I plugged the EVSE into a Kill-A-Watt meter. It drew ~10 amps (1.1 kW) at 110v.

After charging losses, a full charge (~7 kWh) equates to ~3 mph (7 kWh * 3 mph = 21 miles).
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      What the circuit the T8 is plugged-into could make a difference.
      In the US, Volvo specifies a standard 12 amp outlet and draws 10 amps at 110v, likely for safety when dealing with older circuits. It doesn't attempt to "ramp up" because that could cause an electrical fire.
      OSD '18 XC60 T8 Momentum - 22" 10-spoke wheels, lowered air suspension, strut tower bar, Stealth hitch

My 2016 t8 charges slower when it is cold. Sometimes I think that there is something wrong with it, but when it warms up (summer) or I have been driving a long distance (the battery is warmed up to ideal temperature) it charges in the expected 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
      In the US, Volvo specifies a standard 12 amp outlet and draws 10 amps at 110v, likely for safety when dealing with older circuits. It doesn't attempt to "ramp up" because that could cause an electrical fire.
      Understood. From your experience though, given what I’ve read from others here that Volvo appears to hide perhaps the true upper/lower parts of the battery capacity from the appearance of what “full” and “empty” are to a T8 owner in the IC and VoC that most owners have access to, have you found putting that last kWH into the T8 to reach “full”, takes roughly the same amount of time as to put the first kWH into a T8 when it’s battery is “empty”? I suspect the answer within some margin of error may be “yes”, but have not had a need to test that on my own (yet.) Thx.
      Bert

Quote Originally Posted by BertL View Post
      Understood. From your experience though, given what I’ve read from others here that Volvo appears to hide perhaps the true upper/lower parts of the battery capacity from the appearance of what “full” and “empty” are to a T8 owner in the IC and VoC that most owners have access to, have you found putting that last kWH into the T8 to reach “full”, takes roughly the same amount of time as to put the first kWH into a T8 when it’s battery is “empty”?
      In my 2nd gen battery testing (240v), when the SoC reaches ~88%, it reports FULL (VOC and in-car gauge). It will continue to very slowly charge to ~92% over the next ~45 mins if left plugged-in.

I generally stop charging 30 mins before the estimated completion in VOC - 80% SoC. This works for my routine because I normally don't need a full charge (primarily WFH) for errands and such.

That said, I normally limit my phone battery to 80% per charge (Chargie). I'm a bit particular.
      Last edited by lamarguy; 02-16-2020 at 08:30 PM.

In my 2nd gen battery testing (240v), when the SoC reaches ~88%, it reports FULL (VOC and in-car gauge). It will continue to very slowly charge to ~92% over the next ~45 mins if left plugged-in.

I generally stop charging 30 mins before the estimated completion in VOC - 80% SoC. This works for my routine because I normally don't need a full charge (primarily WFH) for errands and such.

That said, I normally limit my phone battery to 80% per charge (Chargie). I'm a bit particular.
      Very interesting data points. THANK YOU much for the insight.
      Bert

Are you guessing SoC, or do you have a way to check what it's actually at? When I had a Tesla I frequently kept it charged to 70-85%, but with no reasonable way to limit charging on my T8, I just let it go. I haven't seen anyone report degradation on the forums, so I'm not concerned about it. The range is too limited as is and I don't want to bother manually stopping charging myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 392DCGC View Post
      Are you guessing SoC, or do you have a way to check what it's actually at?
      ODB2 scanner.

20200129_213150.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 392DCGC View Post
      When I had a Tesla I frequently kept it charged to 70-85%, but with no reasonable way to limit charging on my T8, I just let it go.
      Perfectly reasonable. That's the beauty of choice.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements