2020 XC90 T8 - Check engine light, trying for buyback or lemon under FL law
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Results 1 to 12 of 12
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      3
      -
      Last edited by pinky1417; 02-13-2020 at 02:17 PM. Reason: deleting post

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. #2
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,483
      Bring it to dealer and give it a try. Maybe they have some experience of diagnosis and fixing T8 by now.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    4. #3
      CEL is common for T8. Most of the issues are software related, especially in winter time. I know it sucks. Try to contact Volvo customer services. Once the car is fixed, they can reimburse you for your trouble

    5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements
       

    6. #4
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,483
      No it is not common for T8, not for mine. And 2020 model should see fewer CEL as the hybrid battery coolant thermostat is already new design.

      Another issue is the high voltage coolant heater could fail but it doesn't fire up CEL.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    7. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Location
      SF Bay Area
      Posts
      192
      Quote Originally Posted by DemiblueXC60T8 View Post
      CEL is common for T8. Most of the issues are software related, especially in winter time. I know it sucks. Try to contact Volvo customer services. Once the car is fixed, they can reimburse you for your trouble
      I tried customer service, but no luck.
      2018 XC90 T8 R-Design | Bursting Blue | Convenience | Air Suspension

    8. #6
      Junior Member Dilinger's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2019
      Location
      Athens,Greece
      Posts
      176
      just for one time CEL you want to engage lemon law? or is it continuous ?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      XC90 MY20 B5 Inscription
      Onyx Black - Amber Nappa Ventilated Seats - BLIS - Volvo Guard Alarm - 4 C Active Suspension -Sport Pedals - Illuminated Tailgate Scuff Plate - Sports Heated Steering Wheel - HomeLink®, Interior rear view mirror with autodim and compass
      Packs: Light - Media & Sound - Park Assist - 360° - Winter - Xenium - Seat - Anti-Terror Window Films

    9. #7
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2019
      Location
      Westchester NY
      Posts
      40
      I have mine for 48 hours and just came back from the dealer with a check engine light. They said it was just a glitch and cleared the code. If it happens again they will look into it further. Took me 45 minutes and all is well. They intimated that several 2020 T8s in the 60 and 90 vehicles have had the same thing happen. Seems minor unless the check engine light is flashing.........so they said. We will see.
      2020 Volvo XC90T8 Plug-In-Hybrid Inscription - Silver Exterior/Maroon-Brown Interior, Bowers & Wilkens Audio, Advanced Package, Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Air Suspension, 21 Inch Rims
      2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

    10. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by Dilinger View Post
      just for one time CEL you want to engage lemon law? or is it continuous ?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      This would be the check engine light coming on three times, the car going into service three times as a result, and the car being out of service for >= 30 days. On a brand new car I’ve had for less than 4 months.

    11. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2019
      Location
      Bécancour, Québec
      Posts
      6
      I have a 2019 XC60 R-Design T8 and the check engine light has come on 7 times. I complained to CAMVAP (in Canada) and asked for a refund of the vehicle.
      2019 XC60 R-Design T8 with Volvo hitch

    12. #10
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2017
      Location
      PNW
      Posts
      5,483
      Quote Originally Posted by pinky1417 View Post
      This would be the check engine light coming on three times, the car going into service three times as a result, and the car being out of service for >= 30 days. On a brand new car I’ve had for less than 4 months.
      Sounds a valid case for lemon law. You will get advice here on how to make the process smooth.
      Rolling, Fusion Red - 2018 XC60 - T8
      Running to retire, 2000 V70XC 236+k miles

    13. #11
      Member drmanny3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Location
      Santa Barbara, CA, USA
      Posts
      1,010
      Quote Originally Posted by pinky1417 View Post
      This would be the check engine light coming on three times, the car going into service three times as a result, and the car being out of service for >= 30 days. On a brand new car I’ve had for less than 4 months.
      I just don't get how people have an expectation of perfection. You purchased or leased a car that is the current flagship of Volvo. These cars are complex. Having the Check Engine light come on is not necessarily for the same reason? The lemon laws are specific in many instances on what constitutes a valid claim. The question is what were the reasons for the check engine light? Were they all the same and was that a significant issue? In some States the time in repair can be an issue. Bottom line you can kiss away any good will you had with Volvo. I get it you probably don't care. Was the dealership supportive? Did they provide you a loaner? I still think my 2017 XC90 T8 which is loaded is one of the best cars I have ever had. It is worth it to me to have it properly running and repaired when needed.
      Last edited by drmanny3; 02-19-2020 at 09:59 AM.
      2017 Acura NSX Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Ceramic Brakes
      2017 XC90 T8 Inscription Onyx Black, BW, Leather Dash, Convenience, Vision, Luxury, Air Suspension, Climate, 21" Wheels
      2017 Bolt Premium Red
      2015 Kia Soul EV+
      2015 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
      2014 Toyota Rav4EV (one of 2600 compliance California only cars)
      2011 Nissan Leaf
      2005, 2006 Prius
      5 Corvettes, Porsche 911, Fairlady, 3 Z Cars, Countless VWs from Bugs to Vans, to Fastbacks, and Squareback
      Buicks, Chevys, Fords,

    14. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2020
      Posts
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post
      I just don't get how people have an expectation of perfection. You purchased or leased a car that is the current flagship of Volvo. These cars are complex. Having the Check Engine light come on is not necessarily for the same reason? The lemon laws are specific in many instances on what constitutes a valid claim. The question is what were the reasons for the check engine light? Were they all the same and was that a significant issue? In some States the time in repair can be an issue. Bottom line you can kiss away any good will you had with Volvo. I get it you probably don't care. Was the dealership supportive? Did they provide you a loaner? I still think my 2017 XC90 T8 which is loaded is one of the best cars I have ever had. It is worth it to me to have it properly running and repaired when needed.
      I certainly don't expect perfection from a complex car. In fact, I expected to replace the XC90 within 7 years while I tend to keep my traditional American SUVs 11+ years... I know a sophisticated hybrid is going to have lower reliability than a standard Toyota Corolla. But when a car errors out multiple times - and requires one major repair - so soon after purchase and with <3,000 miles, you start to worry about year 3 and beyond. I can deal with some small initial kinks and I'm sure most new 2020 XC90 T8s are working just fine, but this one has some significant defects.

      Where I am, 3 times in for a repair for the same reason or 30+ days out of service (plus a final opportunity for the manufacturer to inspect or repair the car) constitutes a valid claim. Volvo could inspect the car now, but if, in the next ~20 months, the car is in the shop for any reason not caused by me or by a natural disaster then it's going to be easily declared a lemon. So I'm hoping they just want to buy it back.

    15. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    Similar Threads

    1. Lemon buyback?
      By Profiler in forum XC90 (SPA: 2016 - )
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 06-09-2019, 09:46 PM
    2. Replies: 16
      Last Post: 04-01-2019, 04:07 PM
    3. Volvo: Lemon and BuyBack Thread
      By MyVolvoS60 in forum S60, S60CC & V60, V60CC (2011-2018)
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 11-26-2017, 10:47 AM
    4. Anyone know how easy / hard Vovlo is to deal with under Lemon Law?
      By my2ndimport in forum R Forum (2004-2007)
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 09-23-2008, 03:20 PM
    5. Goodwill Buyback/Lemon law question (long)
      By nowonmy7thvolvo in forum XC90 (2003 - 2014)
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 01-27-2004, 03:14 PM