When do you throw in the towel?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

When do you throw in the towel?

I have had the pleasure of driving an 06 V70R for about 14 years and 200,000 miles. I have always strived to keep the car in stage 0 condition, but over the years the front seats have come to look pretty beat and the exterior clear coat has failed in three spots. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Bad news is I am mechanically inept and have an Indie do everything for me and the last year has been expensive. A few failed modules, timing belt, water pump, pcv replacement, rear view mirror, software, clutch, struts, catalytic converter and now re-sealing a weeping angle gear.

I love the car, but sheesh, the last 12 months repairs are like having a nice car payment. Anyways, I will get it back today, $500 later and will still love it but I am running out of patience with a 14 year old car that is my DD.

What would mother do?
      06 V70R Sonacama 6spd

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Chances are you just spent the big money. Buy new front seats (or have them re-skinned) and barring a major failure you should be good for the foreseeable future. Have it painted or wrapped if you want to go all out.

That said, that is a long time with one car. I don't think anyone would fault you for looking around. Maybe keep it as a second?

So far as being mechanically inept... Do you not have the interest, the time, or the skill? You can make time, skill will come, but if you don't have the interest/desire (and that's okay if you don't!) keep paying the Indy.
      Last edited by silent-circuit; 02-13-2020 at 12:21 PM.
      06 S40 T5 AWD : DO88 intercooler : 3" EST downpipe : Eibach springs (1" drop) : Magnaflow cat-back exhaust : Hilton stage 2.5 tune

At this point you be crazy to get rid of it, like this other person said, you spent most of the money already. Owning a car like a Volvo, like a real fan, means you have it for the long haul.
      I have two that are 24 and 25 years old, and they are about ready for the next 25. Expensive? Maybe for a bit, but still way way cheaper than new car payments for 5-6-7 years
      Last edited by VolvoBrad; 02-13-2020 at 12:36 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I think that at some point, every R owner is going to have to learn to do some mechanical work, or end up spending far more money on the vehicle than it is actually worth. Kudos for having the dedication to the platform for as long as you have, but sooner or later (and I think you're well into the "later" phase) you're going to be throwing good money after bad if you won't/can't do some of your own wrenching.

Keep it! you have a really rare combo! if you dont want it put it up on bringatrailer someone will pay good money for it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
      Showing up at the track in mommy's old station wagon will not make you cool.
      Now 2011 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD Executive, Luxury Package. Rear Camera Assist Camera. Multimedia Package. ABL. BLIS. Premium Electric Silver/Soft Beige. 117K. (2011-)
      2011.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD. Climate Package. Rear Park Assist Camera. Convenience Package. Technology Package. Exterior Styling Kit. ABL. BLIS. Premium Electric Silver/Sandsoft Beige. 101K. (2010-)

Then 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i. Sport Package. Climate Package. Convenience Package. Black/Dark Beige. (2005-2010)
      2006 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD. Premium Package. Versatility Package. Convenience Package. Climate Package. Titanium Gray Metallic/Light Taupe.(2005-2011)

My Volvo Instagram: http://https://www.instagram.com/thevolvoowner/
      My Photography Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lomaarts/

I think this is a common situation and a lot of people weigh the constant cost of repairs verse not spending money on repairs. However, I believe you need to weigh the cost of constant repairs verse the cost of a new car. I do nearly all the work on my own so I feel a new vehicle is the more expensive solution. I would like to see numbers and a study of what really is the most economical choice. Maybe some already exist. For me the choice would be reupholstering and refreshing the paint, but I'm not the norm. I just finished some major modifications to my '99 A4 wagon allowing me to install a double din head unit with Android Auto and back up camera. I have plans to bring it in to reupholster and then to a body shop.

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk
      '05 S60R - 2.4R, RaceS60R FMIC, RaceS60R Downpipe, SPEC LWFW/Stage 3 clutch, Elevate upper mount, Forge CBV, Phuzzy HDTCV, Eibach, IPD Sways, Powerflex/Superflex CA bushings, JVC M730 Head Unit (Android Auto, Subwoofer, Back Up Camera)
      '99 Audi A4 1.8T Stage 3...

Is it about money or do you think you've fallen out of love with it?
      04 V70R, 05 M3, 92 Stealth TT, 94 Stealth TT soon to be single T

Mostly wear and tear stuff but also a lot of 200k maintenance items. You're probably past the worst of it.
      2007 Volvo V70 2.5T - Mine
      2008 Nissan Titan SE 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Bed - Also Mine
      2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.4 - Wife's
      2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 - Daughter #1
      2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5 - Daughter #2

If you've already done all that work to it, why not just keep it? I agree with others, the cost of repairs is certainly cheaper than a new vehicle.

I recently just bought a 2017 Forester from a family member and retired the V70R from daily driver, to garage worrier. I'm battling with myself as to whether or not I should sell it. I've kept it running all this time and it has so many major parts replaced on it (struts, 4c computer, ac compressor, new clutch kit) with new OEM equipment. I keep telling my wife if I had $3k to burn, I'd replace all the parts I know need attention (collar sleeve, fuel pump, rotors all around, haldex service) and I'd have enough money left over to repaint a door panel and tune it!

It's a hard decision, I know...

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoBrad View Post
      At this point you be crazy to get rid of it, like this other person said, you spent most of the money already. Owning a car like a Volvo, like a real fan, means you have it for the long haul.
      I have two that are 24 and 25 years old, and they are about ready for the next 25. Expensive? Maybe for a bit, but still way way cheaper than new car payments for 5-6-7 years
      Ehh not really, sunk cost fallacy. I would say keep it at least until the next major repair comes up as within peeling clear coat and poor seats it wont have much resale anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could just get some replacement seats and get a shop to re-clear the problem areas of the paint job (assuming the paint itself is good). There is always someone parting out a car, it shouldn't be too hard to find a better set of seats.
      | 04 V70R Titanium Grey/Nordkap M66 | Hilton Stage 2 | Mototec DP & Touring Exhaust | ERST Springs | Summer Mode: 18" Fast FC04A | Winter Mode: 18" Pegs |

sunk cost fallacy, or investment?

This guy is down to just cosmetic issues, which are cheap, relatively. You can do the whole interior yourself, all salvage parts
      If you just wanna walk away, fine. But there is no way to argue once you have done that many repairs that it makes "sense" to get rid of it. You will never, ever ever recover your costs on selling these cars.
      This guy has already done almost all the mechanical work, it is pretty much on the second life now.
      Last edited by VolvoBrad; 02-14-2020 at 08:17 AM.

If you're really set on new covers, give elwood industries a look.

http://elwoodindustries.com/S60V70IIseats.html
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

As a formeR owner, I wish I kept it. Yes, these cars aren't the cheapest to maintain but there's not much out there that can replace the charm the P2 R carries with it whilst being practical, and extremely practical in the case of the VR.

I coincidentally ran into the guy yesterday who bought my SR from me in Nov. 2015, and was overjoyed to hear he still has it! He realized over time the charm of these cars and been keeping up with maintenance. He was pretty young when he bought it and made a fair share of mistakes including needing a new M66 from what I can only assume as banging gears and breaking the shifting fork.
      Humza (im_humza on IG) - 04 S60R MT Sapph/kap - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
      If you're really set on new covers, give elwood industries a look.

http://elwoodindustries.com/S60V70IIseats.html
      Thanks for the reminder
      06 V70R Sonacama 6spd

06 V70R Sonacama 6spd. Almost unicorn.

My R too became garage worrier because I inherited XC90 from the wife. One day I'm thinking to sell it while there is an interest. Then the next day I realize how much I enjoy driving R and I realize the car I think I want is way too much money and probably is too nice to be taken places like a home depot of a fishing trip. I hate to use roof rack on SUV and I don't wanna spend 2k on putting a towbar on XC so I have excuses to keep R. And I cannot sell XC without losing a lot. I even was thinking to sell both and get a V90 but XC90 performance doesn't get me excited a bit, so I don't think it would be an equal replacement.

On another hand, it should be calculated move. Don't trust those who said, "oh you fixed everything already"
      06 V70R Sonicap
      surf/skate/snow/smile-mobile
      16 XC90 fam-mobile

I'll meet up with you and my sonicobi v70r m66 and we'll support each other mentally. I've dropped 9k on mine in 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Julien View Post
      I'll meet up with you and my sonicobi v70r m66 and we'll support each other mentally. I've dropped 9k on mine in 6 weeks.
      Wow. What did you have done?

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ng-spaceball-d
      plus all the things. will update thread soonish

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements