SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

TF-80SC auto trans manual shift problems

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Paul1963 
#1 ·
2007 xc90 4.4L V8. In drive mode the transmission shifts fine and always has it’s always had it’s trans flushed every 40,000 miles and does not exhibit any of the problems with the valve body that some of these transmissions have however manual shift mode has started to act up it worked fine for many years but now it’s doing funny things the valve body is not the problem does anyone know what may be the problem?
I understand that there are a little shift paddles when you pull the shifter over to manual mode they pick your gear up or down I understand those can crack and break and do funny things I haven’t gone into look yetbut sometimes it works Fine other times it does not this leads me to believe it may be a blue cheese problem,..corrosion on the connector for the little computer box that’s under the shifter I wonder if anyone out there has had this problem and knows how it’s corrected

#2 ·
I understand that there are a little shift paddles when you pull the shifter over to manual mode they pick your gear up or down I understand those can crack and break and do funny things I haven't gone into look yetbut sometimes it works Fine other times it does not this leads me to believe it may be a blue cheese problem,..corrosion on the connector for the little computer box that's under the shifter I wonder if anyone out there has had this problem and knows how it's corrected
If you are referring to the shifter claw located underneath the shifter bezel, you will know immediately if the claw is broken. It doesn't change how the tranny drives, just makes the whole shift column difficult to operate. If the claw is broken, it doesn't want to stay in drive, it floats between drive and manual shifting. The shifter column also feels very loose in drive/manual. But the tranny will continue to operate normally.

#3 ·
Define "doing funny things"

#4 ·
The trans is fine til I go over to manual shift
Then it will go into 1st sometimes or just go down a gear when I go over
And won’t shift up or maybe it will
I’ve never had it go into 1st at any more then 10-15 MOH but have heard horror stories
It seems it’s just a diff thing each time I try
So I’m wondering if any of you have had this sort of issue and then maybe you know what you could do to correct it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.