If something gets drop to the XC40 floor, it can get sucked into the underfloor, and Volvo wouldn’t take any responsibility
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

If something gets drop to the XC40 floor, it can get sucked into the underfloor, and Volvo wouldn’t take any responsibility

After having a rattling noise coming in and out on the back part of the car for months finally took it to Volvo service. Then after more than a week looking for it and apparently bringing a Volvo tech support person they discovered that an AA battery was trapped in the underfloor, apparently sucked in thru the open spaces that you can see under the driver seat (easier to see when looking thru back seat). Also they told me that it is not covered by warranty and I have to pay over $500 for removing the battery.

I called the Volvo customer line to complaint about what I believe is a design issue, not just about the $500 but about how to prevent that happening in the future as I consider is impossible to completely prevent objects falling to the floor no matter how careful you are (and you may not even notice, as apparently it was in this case). They responded in email about a week later and to my astonishment they informed that not only it is indeed not covered by warranty, but that about preventing this in the future: "We apologize we are unable to provide you with an exact course of action. Regrettably we are unable to change the design of the vehicle."

So now I am terrified that anything can fall into the floor, sucked in, and there is nothing I could do there as, once it gets sucked into the underfloor, is completely inaccessible to me. And Volvo tells me there is no action that can be taken to prevent it.

Nothing similar ever happen to another car before. What do you think? Do you think there is any other course of action I can/should take about this? Would putting a complaint in the BBB help in any way?

Thanks,
      Greg

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

use duct tape to cover the openings

I would just wrap some fishing net in front of it if you are worried about it happening again. Also unless it was a Swedish/Belgian battery it likely did not come from the factory and was the result of a passenger dropping something. I'd tend to agree with Volvo saying this is not a covered since it likely was not their fault in the first place (design aside). Might try negotiating this with your Volvo dealer to get the price down but I think you'll end up being on the hook for the whole amount.
      2019 XC40 T4 FWD, Momentum with Premium and Vision Package - Hers
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - His
      1997 Volvo 850 N/A with 240k, 1 owner, SOLD 2017
      2000 C70 Convertible 5sp HPT, SOLD 2011

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by g888 View Post
      After having a rattling noise coming in and out on the back part of the car for months finally took it to Volvo service. Then after more than a week looking for it and apparently bringing a Volvo tech support person they discovered that an AA battery was trapped in the underfloor, apparently sucked in thru the open spaces that you can see under the driver seat (easier to see when looking thru back seat). Also they told me that it is not covered by warranty and I have to pay over $500 for removing the battery.

Thanks,
      Greg
      Sucks about the poor design, same could be said for the disappearing tow hitch covers. Anyway, if you feel adventurous, you might try an endoscope to locate the battery and hook it out. There are many scopes on Amazon like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MZTRF2L...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
      that might work for you. There are different end options, like the magnetic tip that might snag the battery. Beats $500 and a ripped up floor. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for their answers.

The dealership said that that was already a reduced price as they spent many hours looking for it. I just have to blame Volvo, as it looks to me that is a basic failure of design if objects can get down there. If it needs to "breathe", they should have put some netting themselves. I did actually asked Volvo, if I could cover it or put some netting myself but they said they didn't recommend taking any of those actions, so I would be worried then that if I do something like that and goes wrong then it would be on me.

Thanks for posting this issue! I will add this to my checklist of things to do after ours arrives in April. I am thinking wire screen held in place with Gorrilla duct tape.
      05 S40 T5 - stock
      04 S60 2.5T - stock

The dealership said that that was already a reduced price as they spent many hours looking for it. I just have to blame Volvo, as it looks to me that is a basic failure of design if objects can get down there. If it needs to "breathe", they should have put some netting themselves. I did actually asked Volvo, if I could cover it or put some netting myself but they said they didn't recommend taking any of those actions, so I would be worried then that if I do something like that and goes wrong then it would be on me.
      Its only a vent for the HVAC likely, so as long as it can still breath you would be fine. If you are worried they might ask questions, I would just tape it on and un-tape it when you take the car in.
      2019 XC40 T4 FWD, Momentum with Premium and Vision Package - Hers
      2013 C30 Polestar #141/250, Mototech exhaust, Volvo Skid Plate, RacingBeat RSB, - His
      1997 Volvo 850 N/A with 240k, 1 owner, SOLD 2017
      2000 C70 Convertible 5sp HPT, SOLD 2011

Nothing gets sucked into that, it's not a shop vac... it's a vent and it's up off the ground with both a little wall and then an air gap before its opening. It's not more a design flaw than any other vent you could stick an AAA battery.
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

I'll bet if you drop batteries onto the floor of an XC40 Recharge (BEV), it increases your range.

Where was this? In many states, you are not obliged to pay for any services you didn't agree to in advance.
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      Where was this? In many states, you are not obliged to pay for any services you didn't agree to in advance.
      He didn't mention already paying, or even agreeing to. I'm reading that they saw the battery in there, and quoted him a price for removal, to which he's objecting.

Quote Originally Posted by sillyvalleyguy View Post
      He didn't mention already paying, or even agreeing to. I'm reading that they saw the battery in there, and quoted him a price for removal, to which he's objecting.
      Re-reading the thread, from where it began yesterday, I don't see that he/she has paid yet. I only bring it up to strengthen bargaining position. That, and it befuddles me that there may be places where pre-approval may not be the law.
      It would be odd to leave the offending battery in place as a hostage, especially if it isn't the actual cause of the rattle. Maybe it's the battery that went into the other vent .
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

They were working on the car assuming it would be an issue covered under warranty. It was not. Good luck getting someone to sign for an hour diagnostic charge on every warranty repair order.

Yep, I should have clarified that I already paid for it. I was supper busy at work at the time so didn't even think much about it, just to pay and collect the car. It is no so much about just the money, but then when I at home I thought, hey, what if this keep happening again? I am going to be scared all the time!

About this not being a design flaw, well, I assume any other vent that is so close to the floor should NOT be big enough to take something like an AA battery (Not AAA battery BTW) thru it, or it is, it should have some netting preventing this to happen.
      Last edited by g888; 02-14-2020 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Clarified AA battery, not AAA

Yep, I should have clarified that I already paid for it. I was supper busy at work at the time so didn't even think much about it, just to pay and collect the car. It is no so much about just the money, but then when I at home I thought, hey, what if this keep happening again? I am going to be scared all the time!

About this not being a design flaw, well, I assume any other vent that is so close to the floor should NOT be big enough to take something like an AA battery (Not AAA battery BTW) thru it, or it is, it should have some netting preventing this to happen.
      Just to be clear, are you saying that AA batts rolled into the AC vent under the driver seat or did it roll into some other opening?

Quote Originally Posted by 808dakine View Post
      Just to be clear, are you saying that AA batts rolled into the AC vent under the driver seat or did it roll into some other opening?
      I don't know for sure. Like I mentioned, I was in a hurry at work when they called me, so they guy just mentioned "an opening under the driver seat". Looking at it now I see that vent, but I also see that the carpeting doesn't appear completely shut to the floor, so I would assume is the second one (as the battery would have to "jump" to get the vent).

Airplanes have crashed and people have died because something foreign, like a screwdriver, somehow fell through a small opening in the floorboards, and then got caught up in the control mechanism, causing the pilot to lose control. I have also read reports of seat belts failing because food debris can get dropped down into the fixed part of the latch mechanism and prevent a secure clasp. In this case, the foreign object did not do any damage, but it rattled around and made a noise that distracted the driver. Who should pay? I don't know. I do know that these cars are too complex to easily remove the seats, pull up the carpet, and have a look at the metal floor pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      Airplanes have crashed and people have died because something foreign, like a screwdriver, somehow fell through a small opening in the floorboards, and then got caught up in the control mechanism, causing the pilot to lose control. I have also read reports of seat belts failing because food debris can get dropped down into the fixed part of the latch mechanism and prevent a secure clasp. In this case, the foreign object did not do any damage, but it rattled around and made a noise that distracted the driver. Who should pay? I don't know. I do know that these cars are too complex to easily remove the seats, pull up the carpet, and have a look at the metal floor pan.
      Thank you Eric. And again, more than paying, my concern is Volvo lack of responsibility or interest on preventing this to keep happening.

I don't know how Volvo engineers could possibly plan for and prevent foreign objects from getting into various mechanisms and causing problems. I am not sure exactly what type of food got into someone's seat belt latch, and gummed it up badly, causing the latch to open under load. It happened, and someone got hurt. Owners have to accept responsibility for keeping the auto in good operating condition, and with cars getting more and more complex, there is an increasing burden on the owner learn about new features and how they might be damaged or degraded. All of the auto companies are introducing new designs with new features, so this sort of issue is not going to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric T Johnson View Post
      I don't know how Volvo engineers could possibly plan for and prevent foreign objects from getting into various mechanisms and causing problems. I am not sure exactly what type of food got into someone's seat belt latch, and gummed it up badly, causing the latch to open under load. It happened, and someone got hurt. Owners have to accept responsibility for keeping the auto in good operating condition, and with cars getting more and more complex, there is an increasing burden on the owner learn about new features and how they might be damaged or degraded. All of the auto companies are introducing new designs with new features, so this sort of issue is not going to go away.
      I can understand that, not everything is preventable, but having opening in the floor big enough for an AA battery without some netting to avoid something like this doesn't look like a good design to me, as it appear very preventable. No matter how careful you are (and I am careful on keeping my car clean) something may be dropped without you even noticing.

somewhere in vt, at the end of very dirt roads
      $500 to remove a wayward battery is obscene.
      where is the dealership? they should have laughed with you instead of charging you (or the battery)
      might want to look around for a more customer oriented dealer if you decide your next car is a volvo
      2018 "polestarred"® XC60 T6 "R" design in electric silver with volvo's 21" summer wheels/tires, 19" BBS winter wheels with relatively quiet Michelin X-Ice
      2007 honda s2000

Quote Originally Posted by s60r05 View Post
      $500 to remove a wayward battery is obscene.
      where is the dealership? they should have laughed with you instead of charging you (or the battery)
      might want to look around for a more customer oriented dealer if you decide your next car is a volvo
      So you want the technician to remove the seat, various trim and carpet to remove a battery and then put it back together, not get paid for his work and then laugh about it? We don't work for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech View Post
      So you want the technician to remove the seat, various trim and carpet to remove a battery and then put it back together, not get paid for his work and then laugh about it? We don't work for free.
      And that's only after figuring out what was the cause and what needed to be done...
      Volvo Sales Guy
      VCOA Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFrantz View Post
      And that's only after figuring out what was the cause and what needed to be done...
      And be responsible for it after it is all said and done, probably until the next battery or phone that falls in.

Poor design or not, I don't see how the dealer should absorb this.

27. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements