2020 Running Boards Work on 2019 XC60?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

I notice there are running boards for the 2020 XC60...

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-517603/2020

Anyone know if these will work on a 2019?

Thanks
      Ray

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I see no reason why this would not fit your model
      There are no changes to the XC60 2018-2020 chassis

You can contact dealers directly by phone to be sure:
      https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...lding-32270019
      https://www.oemvolvopartsonline.com/...lding-32270019
      https://www.volvooempartsdirect.com/...lding-32270019
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Appreciate the reply. I'll try giving them a call tomorrow. I was a bit worried when on this site...

https://www.swedishcaraccessories.co...rds-8253-p.asp

It said...

Suitable for Model year 2020 onwards only.

But I can't imagine they changed the chassis this year either. Maybe they are just covering themselves to be safe?

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

So, I purchased the running boards anyway since I couldn't get a straight answer as to why they say they wouldn't fit. Turns out the chassis DID indeed change. Apparently the holes are in different positions and the new chassis is thinner in some places to support installation of the boards. That being said, the dealer is going to drill new holes and shave a little off the chassis and try to install them on the 2019. I'll let you know how it goes, but I'd be careful if you're thinking about doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by raeldor View Post
      So, I purchased the running boards anyway since I couldn't get a straight answer as to why they say they wouldn't fit. Turns out the chassis DID indeed change. Apparently the holes are in different positions and the new chassis is thinner in some places to support installation of the boards. That being said, the dealer is going to drill new holes and shave a little off the chassis and try to install them on the 2019. I'll let you know how it goes, but I'd be careful if you're thinking about doing the same thing.
      There are genuine boards now available for the 2019 model. No need to mess with the car.

I fitted after market boards, 20% of the cost of the genuine ones and I am pleased with them. I had to modify the fitting though as the kit didn’t fit the 2019 chassis directly

Do you have a link for the genuine 2019 boards? I haven't seen them. It is my belief that they only exist for the XC90.
      Last edited by raeldor; 03-06-2020 at 03:08 AM.

Do you have a link for the genuine 2019 boards? I haven't seen them. It is my belief that they only exist for the XC90.
      It says contact dealer

Yup, I think these are the 2020 onwards only boards. https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-517603/2020

Just got my car back, and they did a good job attaching the boards to the 2019. It seems they didn't need to modify the body after all, it was the running boards fixings they had to shave some part off of to get it to fit. They also had to slightly change the position of one of the fittings. Overall pretty pleased with the result though.

Are the running boards load bearing or purely cosmetic?
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      According to the webpage:

Withstands a load of: 300 kg (661 lbs) per side

@raeldor... based on some of your photos, either your driver side front door or driver side rear door aren't lined up correctly (it's off by about 1-2 mm). The Inscription chrome strip near the rocker panel and chrome daylight opening around the windows looks off in your photos.

It's worth having someone at the dealership take a look at it if you're inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Holeydonut View Post
      @raeldor... based on some of your photos, either your driver side front door or driver side rear door aren't lined up correctly (it's off by about 1-2 mm). The Inscription chrome strip near the rocker panel and chrome daylight opening around the windows looks off in your photos.

It's worth having someone at the dealership take a look at it if you're inclined.
      Thanks for the heads-up, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'rocker panel' and 'daylight opening'. :S

Quote Originally Posted by RootDKJ View Post
      First thing I did at the dealer when I picked the car up was jump up and down on them at the front and back. I weight about 180 and they flexed a little, but I didn't feel like they wouldn't hold my weight or more.

Yes - I see it too....

Look at the last picture - you can see the front and rear doors are slightly misaligned ...

Good Catch....

First thing I did at the dealer when I picked the car up was jump up and down on them at the front and back. I weight about 180 and they flexed a little, but I didn't feel like they wouldn't hold my weight or more.
      That’s awesome. They look great!
      2019 Bursting Blue XC60 R-Design T8
      | 21" Wheels | Exterior Style Kit | Advanced | 4C Air | B & W | CPO 10yr/Unlimited |
      2010 Maple Red XC60 T6 retired at 173,375 miles

The Chrome Daylight Opening (or DLO) is the chrome that goes around the outline of your side windows. Luxury cars started to employ this design element since it adds to the bling of the car. The XC60 has the DLO go all the way around the windows, which adds to the difficulty of assembling the car.

The challenge for automakers is that since doors have to open and close, the chrome DLO appearance is actually the coming-together of many different chrome pieces that all have to line up. You can see in your pictures that the chrome doesn't form a straight line when following from the front of the car to the back. So, budget cars tend to just use blackouts since it's harder for people to notice misalignment than when there's no chrome. An automaker that offers chrome DLO's needs to set up their door-aligning game. And they usually do an end-of-line inspection to ensure it lines up to spec.

The rocker panel is the garish molding piece that is at the lower part of the door. The same problem happens here where your two doors force the chrome to be multiple pieces that have to align properly.

...I spent 10 minutes squinting at the images You have quite an eye to spot misalignment on these low-resolution shots.

Quote Originally Posted by vlvownr View Post
      ...I spent 10 minutes squinting at the images You have quite an eye to spot misalignment on these low-resolution shots.
      Lol that's what happens because I spent too much time in the auto biz. I worked in so many jobs for an automaker from managing a line shift to vehicle margin planning to sales channel planning to supply chain etc.

Corners are cut everywhere since automakers all want to save money and turn profits. There are some corners being cut that you really wish they wouldn't. It makes buying a car tough since I've seen so many trash automobiles.

I see vehicles in dealer showrooms where the doors are crooked and panel gaps are just atrocious. Or I'll sit in a luxury car at an auto show and the cross car beam is wayyy off from center. I don't know what happened with end-assembly manufacturing quality lately, but it's gone downhill a ton from a level that I was already disappointed with years ago haha. I feel like the automakers are spending their money trying to put fancy gadgets into cars and have turned attention away from making sure a car doesn't leave the factory with crooked doors.

But, the most obvious cost cuts are with how assembled parts line up, and how much mold-in-color-black (MIC Black) plastic trim is visible on the outside of your vehicle. And there's a ton of mold in color black on competitor CUVs... barf. My easy rule of thumb; don't pay a premium for a vehicle with lots of MIC Black on the exterior.

The Chrome Daylight Opening (or DLO) is the chrome that goes around the outline of your side windows. Luxury cars started to employ this design element since it adds to the bling of the car. The XC60 has the DLO go all the way around the windows, which adds to the difficulty of assembling the car.

The challenge for automakers is that since doors have to open and close, the chrome DLO appearance is actually the coming-together of many different chrome pieces that all have to line up. You can see in your pictures that the chrome doesn't form a straight line when following from the front of the car to the back. So, budget cars tend to just use blackouts since it's harder for people to notice misalignment than when there's no chrome. An automaker that offers chrome DLO's needs to set up their door-aligning game. And they usually do an end-of-line inspection to ensure it lines up to spec.

The rocker panel is the garish molding piece that is at the lower part of the door. The same problem happens here where your two doors force the chrome to be multiple pieces that have to align properly.
      Very interesting. I took a look and the drivers side seems even worse based on what you said. Interestingly though, even though the bottom of the chrome is mis-aligned, the top seems to be aligned ok. So I'm wondering if it's really the door that's misaligned or just the chrome strip? Or maybe the whole car?

Last edited by raeldor; 03-10-2020 at 07:10 PM.

Very interesting. I took a look and the drivers side seems even worse based on what you said. Interestingly though, even though the bottom of the chrome is mis-aligned, the top seems to be aligned ok. So I'm wondering if it's really the door that's misaligned or just the chrome strip? Or maybe the whole car?
      Don't worry, this seems to be a general problem here you can see the difference with the tailgate

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...=1#post7179639
      2018 XC60 T5 R-Design

Hmmm, so the top part of the DLO is aligned, but the belt-line and bottom rocker panel area are off. So the issue is not the rotation of the door when you're looking at the side-view of the car. It's probably one of the doors is rotated when looking at the car from the back or front.

If I leased the car, I would just let it go since it won't matter after a few months. If I purchased the car to own for a decade; I'd get it assessed. A door that isn't sitting flush to this degree will rattle or whistle/leak as the weather seals weaken over time.

This is something I would hope Volvo would bother to fix before the car leaves the factory. The machines they use to calibrate alignment should employ lasers and advanced optics. Someone really has to drop the ball to let the car leave the factory where it's off so much someone can spot an issue with their eyes.

I suppose some automakers would blame you for causing this by letting the wind fling your car door open. I'm curious what Volvo says. To Bigbang's link, there wasn't really a resolution when owners discovered their spoilers mis-aligned. So, I'm curious if Volvo instructs their dealerships to care about this stuff.

25. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements