Long term owners: if you could buy a newer R and start again, would you?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Long term owners: if you could buy a newer R and start again, would you?

Asking for the collective wisdom on the ownership experience looking now in the rear-view mirror -- now that you've owned your V70R/S60R for some time (>5 years) and spent money for all the required maintenance, would you do it again?

I have the opportunity to buy a lowish mileage (sub-60,000 miles), automatic V70R that I am considering for semi-daily/semi-pleasure use. I come from a long history of Volvo ownership ('71 1800E owned for 12 years, '96 850 Turbo owned for 18 years -- the current daily driver, previous 70's 145, previous 80's 244) so I think I fall into the long term ownership profile of most Volvo owners in this forum. I also recognize that the V70R isn't as trouble-free as the p80 vehicles. The second gen. V70R has been a bucket-list car since it came out and if it isn't already obvious, I've also been a life-long Volvo fan.

I would be keeping the 850 as a daily driver and my thinking is that once the 850 eventually becomes not worth fixing or finally dies, I would put the V70R into daily duty. I also have two other fun, manual but non-Volvo cars in my fleet and let's say that the cost of upkeep for a V70R can't be worse than for each of those cars (I do not wrench and not to sound arrogant but my time is better spent either working or relaxing than turning a wrench.) My intention would be to keep the V70R long term as my eventual daily driver.

If you V70R/S60R owners could turn the clock back and own/drive a lower mileage car now/today for the long term, knowing what you know now, would you?
      Last edited by V70R2006; 02-13-2020 at 08:26 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

After 40k I can't think of a car I would enjoy better. It does everything right.
      '06 S60 R GT (226k and counting)
      '84 RX-7 rallycross champion domination-bucket
      '81 RX-7 ex-rallycross champion sunny day cruiser
      '73 RX-3 proto-rallycross-champion
      '86 VW Quantum Syncro turbo 2.3l 10v K24-7400 in progress

I've had my SR since Feb 2013, bought it with 57,500, now it has 128,500 on the clock. I've owned for 7 years and spent about 18k on the car in maintenance, upgrades, tires, and accessories. All the parts I've replaced are under warranty and the car is exactly the way I want it. It runs and drives flawless (Probably better than new) and it saves me a massive amount of money on insurance each month. Will I get back the amount invested on re-sale? No. However, the money I save each month vs a new car is massive and I enjoy it 10x more than anything new. Looks great, Drives perfect, Decent gas mpg (16-18 city, 26-30 highway), Safer than most and Pretty quick!
      06R Custom Electric Blue Silver
      07R Magic Blue - Sold
      04 Bonatti Gray Rover Disco HSE
      09 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG P30 Edition

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I’ve had my sr 5+ years and still feels like day one most of the time. I adore my R and I’d definitely do it again in a vr but I plan on keeping the sr as long as possible

Sent from my iPhone XR using Tapatalk
      05 sr sapphire/nordkap, three pedal arrangement Custom 3" intake pipe w/ stock air box mahle filter, dw 300c fuel pump welded A.G. Bob villa mod PPS: Poly front control arm bushings, poly torque mount, poly subframe inserts Powerflex: race #12/street #5,8,13 Ipd toe bars BC coil overs EST D.P. catted w/ Viva performance cat back exhaust Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 235/40-18 and of course PEGS!!!

I've owned two different P2 R's for a total of around 14 years - I had the V for 10 years. The P2R has it's strengths and weaknesses like all cars and if you don't turn wrenches then be ready for higher maintenance and repair expense than the other Volvo's you've owned - always best to go in with both eyes open.

I would totally get mine again if I had the chance, I really liked them overall.
      Past: '94 854, '99 S70 T5 SE, '99 S70 GLT, '04 S60R M, '12 S60 T5, '13 S60 T5, '15 S60 RD, '05 V70R GT
      Present: '95 854 T-5R, '06 XC70, '15 XC70 T6, '15.5 XC60 T6, '16 V60 P*

Have had my 2005 S60R since 2008.

I would go with a V70R instead. But I was 22 when I got the S60R, now I'm 34. A V70R was very uncool at the time, but as I've gotten older, is much cooler and meets my storage needs much better. The S60R trunk is way too small.
      Last edited by Arch Stanton; 02-13-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Consider who you are asking......

Bought our certified in May 2006 w/ 24k miles. Now at 215k close to 14 years later. Have spent a total of $23,585 in maintenance and upgrades (including roof box and respray last year - yes, I'm one of those Excel geeks). Have gone through 9 other cars since then, Volvo has stayed the whole time.
      Now my son (turning 16 next year) wants to take it over. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-gray-moldings

Car has NEVER left us stranded and has had the most comfortable seats in any car, ever (some of the other cars have included Audi A8 W12, BMW M5 and 540, Mercedes E63, Audi S4s, etc). For long road trips - both I and the wife always say "let's take the old Volvo - the seats are so nice".

Only drawback: Now when kids are older, a bit more legroom in the back would be nice (I'm also 6'5")

I think that answers that question...

Yep. 13+ years and ~190k miles later here and would get another one new again if I could...not that this one is going anywhere of course!
      07 S60R Electric Slvr/Nordkap 6MT Darton Sleeved/Rods/Pistons, RaceS60R FMIC, IPD Sways, Spec Stg3+ SMF, PDV Collar Sleeve, EFR7163, PM3, Aeromotive 340 fp, ID1050x, RS4 MAF, Devils Own Meth & Contrast Tune
      01 Audi S4, Tial 605's, built engine, etc
      93 Mustang Cobra, Incon Twin Turbo 347 Dart, etc

i would. my v70R is one of my favorite cars i've owned (owned many) and i just moved to a v90R for my daily. i still have the v70R and just drove it yesterday. it does feel a tad old compared to the 90, but i'm still keeping it. it does everything i need it to do and now that volvo is based on the 4-cyl platform, the 300hp turbo 5cyl makes it stand out as a R. one of my other favorite cars was also a turbo I5 - the 95.5 Audi UrS6.
      '19 V90R, '19 XC60R, '05 V70R, '04 XC90, '02 M3, '99 Mcoupe, '97 993 C4S, '86 951

Not an auto, there are better AWD auto wagons out there. The calculation changes significantly when you're looking for cars with 3 pedals, though.

The auto dimming rear view mirror has failed so looking back is hard. LOL (Just a fairly common failure on P2 cars)

The VR has always been a wish list car for me since they came out. I would have taken a manual in any year but it was nearly impossible to find one at a reasonable price or without traveling across the country to get one. If I was to get an auto it could only be an '07. Nearly four years ago a local one basically dropped into my lap. I spent the past three years tastefully modding it to my liking and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I also picked up an '06 SR M66 last fall that I have been stage zeroing and daily driving since October. It's nearly complete and will be going up for sale soon. I took the VR out for a drive last week for the first time since mid December. The way I have it set up is so much better than the stock SR and I have absolutely no complaints about the TF-80. I may even like floppy shifting it better than the M66. Blasphemous, I know.

2007 V70R GT Electric Silver/Nordkap
      2005 XC70 It's got HIDs yo.
      2006 S60R Black Sapphire M66

^ That is one clean VR
      2007 S60R Sonic Blue/Nordkap GT, ~50k miles
      1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Polar White, ~200k miles (previous car)

There is no question I am a relative newbie to the VR comparative to the rest of the R world, but I (like Ron) wanted one from the instant that I read about and saw them. Funny that the first one I saw in a magazine was red, but I lusted after a silver one and almost bought his (but he snagged it first).
      There is also no question I would do it again, but I'd be more prepared. I love, love, love this car. There is nothing that compares.

My RVM doesn't automatically adjust anymore either, but I can see out of it, and it's dim. That's the nice thing when we have LED SUVs and trucks that are always behind me. No adjustment needed!
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Quote Originally Posted by V70R2006 View Post
      Asking for the collective wisdom on the ownership experience looking now in the rear-view mirror -- now that you've owned your V70R/S60R for some time (>5 years) and spent money for all the required maintenance, would you do it again?
      Well, the initial purchase price was quite hard to swallow back in fall 2005, but maintenance costs have not really been an issue.

Now as I drive to work and look at other cars on the road, I don't see anything I would be interested in driving. There just doesn't seem to be anything that is appealing as my 14+ year old VR.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi

Yes. My next car is another R.
      Exponents kill
      Elsa: 2004 V70R Silver Metallic&Nordkap Back from Valhalla @ 357,098 miles

I come from high performance Subaru, raced and rallied two. I adore the GD platform, but, turning 50, need something more grown up. The V70R was on my bucket list for many years, bought one two years ago. '06 with 120K on the clock. Three areas of consternation with the car:
      1) the short block and its achillies heal (tons to read about it) I swapped in a B5244T5 to put it behind me.
      2) HID headlights. Woeful..... I swapped in euro projector and now I dont out run my headlights on exit ramps anymore.
      3) 4C dampers. Meh.... No plan yet to improve on them.

Other than those issues its been an awesome wagon and pretty much a cult car now. Tip-in of throttle is tough to get used to, but I'm more used to mechanical throttle.

I have the opportunity to buy a lowish mileage (sub-60,000 miles), automatic V70R. knowing what you know now, would you?
      Not sure of the deal your getting on it but I would buy it and flip it on BAT. With 60k it would sell high if the rest of the car is in line with the mileage.

Otherwise I have had mine since 2011 and have loved the car and have put 100k on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      2006 Sonic V70R GT 152k
      2013 XC90 R Design Electric Silver 53K (The Wife's)
      2015 Silverado High Country 1500 4WD Ruby Metallic 82k

Quote Originally Posted by maronha View Post
      Not sure of the deal your getting on it but I would buy it and flip it on BAT. With 60k it would sell high if the rest of the car is in line with the mileage.

Otherwise I have had mine since 2011 and have loved the car and have put 100k on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Thanks, everyone, for their feedback so far on this. I'm the original poster who asked the question.

I went into this with high hopes and saw and drove the car recently.

My conundrum is that the seller wants top dollar for this car and although the mileage is lowish, servicing is NOT up to date (and there are zero service records), and there is paintwork (not collision-related) that is not done to a high standard. I am willing to pay a premium for a lower mileage car with no stories but after factoring the costs to bring this one up to date and the cosmetic deficiencies, it seems to be poor value considering I can get a newer vehicle (albeit not an R) with zero issues for around the same money. I realize these are rare cars and rarity costs more and the struggle I am having: is it worth paying that premium to buy a newer R - and - bring it up to date - and - live with the paintwork?

As far as the BAT flip suggestion, there isn't much, if any, room for profit at the seller's price but thanks for the suggestion. The phrase 'not worth the effort' comes to mind if thinking about flipping this car for profit.

This is a love it or leave it situation. Unless you're getting a bargain, you're going to be upside down to start.
      These are fascinating cars, and have a loyal following (*ahem* US here in this part of the site) but if you're not down with making it right, it will probably not be a wise decision.
      If you are, and you're willing to endure the quirks, get the the bottom of whatever, and work it, work it, work it, then this is a relationship you'll benefit from.
      Thanks, everyone, for their feedback so far on this. I'm the original poster who asked the question.

I went into this with high hopes and saw and drove the car recently.

My conundrum is that the seller wants top dollar for this car and although the mileage is lowish, servicing is NOT up to date (and there are zero service records), and there is paintwork (not collision-related) that is not done to a high standard. I am willing to pay a premium for a lower mileage car with no stories but after factoring the costs to bring this one up to date and the cosmetic deficiencies, it seems to be poor value considering I can get a newer vehicle (albeit not an R) with zero issues for around the same money. I realize these are rare cars and rarity costs more and the struggle I am having: is it worth paying that premium to buy a newer R - and - bring it up to date - and - live with the paintwork?

As far as the BAT flip suggestion, there isn't much, if any, room for profit at the seller's price but thanks for the suggestion. The phrase 'not worth the effort' comes to mind if thinking about flipping this car for profit.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

22. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements