Reliability of new Volvo's
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Reliability of new Volvo's

I currently own a 2007 XC90 with 213,000 miles. It looks and runs great and the 3.2 engine seems pretty bulletproof. That being said, I am starting to look for a new car.

It seems like Volvo's defect and reliability scores are not so great for their new cars. It also concerns me in having those small turbocharged engines as opposed to the 3.2 in my current XC90. My logic tells me a 3.2 six is better than a small turbo four engine.

So here are the questions: Are the reliability reports accurate to real life? Can you still get 200k miles on a new Volvo? What's a typical good deal off MSRP on a new XC60 or XC90?

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bnkr View Post
      I currently own a 2007 XC90 with 213,000 miles. It looks and runs great and the 3.2 engine seems pretty bulletproof. That being said, I am starting to look for a new car.

It seems like Volvo's defect and reliability scores are not so great for their new cars. It also concerns me in having those small turbocharged engines as opposed to the 3.2 in my current XC90. My logic tells me a 3.2 six is better than a small turbo four engine.

So here are the questions: Are the reliability reports accurate to real life? Can you still get 200k miles on a new Volvo? What's a typical good deal off MSRP on a new XC60 or XC90?

Thank you in advance.
      I was recently researching getting a new XC60 and here's what I was able to find.

1) There were apparently electronics issues with the 2016 XC90s. These drove Volvo's reliability scores way down and continue to affect the scores of new cars for some reason, at least with some publications. That being said, most of the complaints I've seen about the new cars are related to the electronics in one way or another.

2) I was curious about the Drive-E engines as well but couldn't find anything to substantiate concerns. They don't appear to be any less reliable than larger engines in aggregate. That makes sense, really. Once Volvo decided to put all of their eggs in the one basket you'd expect them to test the engine hard. They most likely put some effort into designing the engines to handle the loads they are intended for plus some (knowing someone is going to be over boosting them) and so shouldn't be a problem.
      2001 V70, 2.4T White/blond (outgoing)
      2020 XC60 T8, Inscription White/blond (incoming - sometime)

Thank you for your response. I like the XC60 a lot as well, just not sure if I am too used to the size of my XC90.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements