Blower fan trouble shooting?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Hello guys, the car is a 2008 xc70 3.2 awd with 127k. My climate control blower motor has completely stopped working.
      There were no squeaks or noises beforehand that may have indicated a failing motor, it just did not function one morning or since.
      I can hear a quiet mechanical sound behind the dash when I select the various climate control buttons, but this is not the fan motor. I believe this is the heater.

There is no message on the instrument panel.

I checked the 40a fuse in position 11 on the lower fusebox in the engine bay which did not resolve my issue. (I swapped in a new one for good measure as well)

Are there any other trouble shooting steps to look into before diving into the job of replacing the fan?
      I've watched the DIY by volvosweden, https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title
      and have familiarized myself with the procedure.
      While this job definitely looks to be time consuming, I'm not deterred, just hopeful for a simpler solution.

This DIY is also noteworthy so I'll leave it here for my own and your reference.
      https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=62130

Thanks for any info but I have a feeling that a new blower motor installation is in my near future.
      Last edited by Svën Höek; 02-14-2020 at 04:15 PM.
      1998 Vw VR6, 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500, 2008 Volvo xc70 3.2, 2010 Volvo xc90 3.2

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think we have a huge thread for this. But I could be wrong/:

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
      XC70|D5|AWD|GT6|MY11|Polestar|IPD SWAY|

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingCountries View Post
      I think we have a huge thread for this. But I could be wrong/:
      I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you're probably correct,
      but I don't know for sure, I'm relatively new here.
      Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

This thread https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...o-instruction)
      is wonderful in describing how to replace the blower motor,
      but that wasn't my question.

...and this one https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...to-quot-Thread is a wealth of knowledge,
      but if the answer to my question was there, I couldn't find it.
      1998 Vw VR6, 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500, 2008 Volvo xc70 3.2, 2010 Volvo xc90 3.2

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Install a new one; I don’t think we can fix it from here. Bite the bullet and go for it. Either DIY which is a huge pain in the bhind or VOLVO. Or at a local shop in “Johnsville”. All a matter of $€ isn’t it? Dont mean to be rude here but most parts on most cars (just like on airplanes) have a MTBF; Mean Time Between Failures When it dies on XX-km on one it will most likely do the same on another one with the same mileage. The part is done; game over. I am sure others have other opinions but please let us know the conclusion. Wish you all the best. Hope it is just a circuit breaker or a mouse blocking it but I doubt it. Trouble shooting is not needed anymore imho.

Last edited by CrossingCountries; 02-14-2020 at 05:11 PM.

I've spent a great deal of time in other car enthusiast forums and I've seen my share of "that guy" who has everything to say and nothing helpful.
      Quite often respect is cast aside to the "newb" because he/she isn't as familiar with the particular automotive platform in discussion as the seasoned veterans.
      Often the seasoned veterans in the forums take it as their job to flame aforementioned "newbs" for not knowing what they themselves have come to know as common knowledge.
      It seems that I've irritated the local forum troll with my ignorance of the p3 platform.

I think you are overthinking the replies - As far as I’m concerned you are simply getting frank thoughts. Anyhow back to the issue at hand. It is odd that it is fully non-functional as most of them fail from squeaking which eventually drives owner nuts. Only thing I can think of is to take speed cluster out (easy), unplug the fan and connect a 12v supply right to it to see if you can bring it to life. I have no idea whether the electrical set up will permit this but worth a try maybe? This might confirm that fan is functional if it turns on...other thought is to hook vida up using dice connection and manually activate the fan to see if it works.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70
      2010 V70 3.2 125,000miles
      2002 V70XC, 175,000 miles
      2004 S60 2.5T, 160,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Svën Höek View Post
      I've spent a great deal of time in other car enthusiast forums and I've seen my share of "that guy" who has everything to say and nothing helpful.
      Quite often respect is cast aside to the "newb" because he/she isn't as familiar with the particular automotive platform in discussion as the seasoned veterans.
      Often the seasoned veterans in the forums take it as their job to flame aforementioned "newbs" for not knowing what they themselves have come to know as common knowledge.
      It seems that I've irritated the local forum troll with my ignorance of the p3 platform.
      Please don’t do this. It’s all meant well. Welcome.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements