Help me beat my friend (in his '16 Focus ST)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Help me beat my friend (in his '16 Focus ST)

I've got an MT 04R and this summer my buddy and I plan on occasionally going to the drag strip and maybe some autocross too (if we can find something nearby).

He's got some light mods (he drives on slicks, like track/street tires in the summer), and whooped me when I went on the drag strip for the first time ever, just before the winter hit.

I got my S60r pretty close to stage zero before the winter, and once things start warming up again I've saved some money and plan on upgrading some things as I perform some of the standard maintenance.

I want to know what kinda money, and effort it would take to beat my friend in a straight line and in corners, and what kind of maintenance things to check, as well as parts and upgrades I should look for. I really don't know a ton about this type of stuff so I'd love some help or direction here.

Thank you all so much for any responses in helping me beat my friend!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Off a dig I wouldnt count on being able to dump the clutch and launch, the angle gears in these cars can be pretty fragile so it's going to need a soft launch if you want to preserve your angle gear.
      Otherwise I'd start looking at basic bolt ons and a hilton tune. Turboback exhaust, cooling mods (fmic and charge piping) etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It seems as if most fbo ST are making around 260 to 275whp which also seems to be around what most tune, intake and exhaust S60R are making. That does not factor in an aggressive tune, meth or e85 etc

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I was thinking of getting a new air filter and intake piping.

I should mention that my state has already voted to change the emissions testing laws, removing the requirement from my county. My buddy plans to remove his cat, and I was thinking of possibly doing the same with a 3in downpipe and new exhaust. Would that be a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Feyko View Post
      I was thinking of getting a new air filter and intake piping.

I should mention that my state has already voted to change the emissions testing laws, removing the requirement from my county. My buddy plans to remove his cat, and I was thinking of possibly doing the same with a 3in downpipe and new exhaust. Would that be a good idea?
      An intake is always a good place to start. If you go the Downpipe and catback route (which is the long way of saying turboback exhaust) you will throw a CEL for increased exhaust gasses passing your O2 sensor. You can either live with the CEL but you're better off spending some money and getting a tune which will not only get rid of the CEL but also get the power out of the Downpipe.
      Typically catbacks by themselves will not really gain you any power it's more for the sound, the Downpipe is where the "gains" are coming from.

Do you have any specific brands/parts you think I should look at?

From what I've heard, stay away from obx Downpipes, Look at eight8fab or some of the others, they may be more expensive but fitment and weld qualities will be far superior. In terms of exhausts theres the ipd oval etc. Personally I'm going to be doing a 3in custom with a borla xr1 muffler it sounds amazing! Theres a few sound clips on YouTube

I have a snabb downpipe with a street cat that I bought new for a great price from viva. No 02 sensor faults.

I would stay away from messing with the airbox, I've read a lot of discussions on here and people seem to think it flows very well. I used to have that elevate intake and got frequent check engine lights which went away after going back to stock box with the lid ON. The sound of an open airbox is really cool but not worth it to be sucking in hot engine compartment air IMO. Also i still run oem filter because K&N is easy to over oil and then you get oil all throughout your intake system and ruin your MAF.

For intake I'm wrapping up installing all my snabb stuff, I went with them for everything except airbox cuz I'm prepping for stage 2 tune and I believe that would be unnecessary to go with their box + audi MAF until later.

Get some IPD swaybars if you care about cornering. But if you're doing autocross, depending on the rules, you may not want to go crazy with suspension stuff as I remember reading through it and some things like new subframe bushings will bump you up into a different class (I've never autoXd.) That being said, I love my Kaphlenke delrin subframe bushings (worth time and money vs IPD subframe inserts) and also the powerflex race front lower control arm bushings which make steering feel so much more direct.

I went from oem 4c shocks/springs right to kw v2s so I can't comment on lowering springs + 4c but if you lower, you will likely need IPD adjustable rear toe arms or to modify your existing rear toe arms. Also IPD's camber correction bushings for the rear. Don't skimp on these unless you wanna burn through rear tires like I did. There's no other off the shelf way to correct excessive rear camber without modifying your rear lower control arms or having custom ones fabbed.

This platform seems really expensive to me but it's the only thing I've experienced as it was my first "performance" car. Owned it for 6.5 years and learned to wrench on it. Trying to give you advice from my point of view because I wasted a lot of time early on because I wasn't very knowledgeable (and still aren't.) But I love my R!
      Last edited by TristanScott; 02-14-2020 at 06:24 PM.
      2004 S60R M66 Electric Silver Nordkap
      KW V2s, Kaplhenke Front Strut Mounts with 2.5" springs, PDV Rear Strut Mounts with KW springs, IPD V70R Track Spec Sway Bars, IPD Rear Toe Links, Kaplhenke Delrin Front Subframe Bushings, Powerflex Race Bushings, Snabb Tial Recirc Kit, Snabb Downpipe, IPD Catback, TTV SMF with 06/07 Volvo Clutch, IPD SS Brake Lines, CFE+, UR Front Strut Brace, IPD Poly Top Engine Mount and Torque Mount.

FOR SALE (2/22/20) - Save her from the scrap yard: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ring-Overhaul)
      2004 V70 2.4 NA AW-55 FWD Ruby Red Metallic
      The $900 daily. IPD Poly Subframe Bushing Inserts, Everything Else OEM.

Personally I would recommend:
      Snaab 3" Catless downpipe
      Catback exhaust
      Snaab Intake
      Snaab FMIC
      Hilton tune

Even just the Catless downpipe I noticed a considerable power gain on the top end.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
      2002 V70 T5M 019 Black Stone on Black Slicktop 159k (IPD Poly torque mounts, IPD Black Boost gauge, Spacers 12mm Front 20mm Rear, 18" Rose Bronze Pegs)
      2005 V70 T5M M66 019 Black Stone on Black 240k (Four-C, Premium Audio, Oem Subwoofer, Gates RPM Kevlar T-Belt, Spacers 12mm Front 20mm Rear)
      2006 S60R Sapphire Black Nordkap M66 149k Stock

2004 S60R M66 Electric silver metallic - Nordkap 215K (Ipd Poly torque mounts, Xemodex Cem) SOLD

The r is not a drag car and you will spend a ton of money trying to beat a focus ST, for 1 it weighs about 1000lbs less than an R. Just wait awhile and when the ford gets tired you may be able to beat him since the volvo will out last his focus.

Quote Originally Posted by cupdriver91 View Post
      The r is not a drag car and you will spend a ton of money trying to beat a focus ST, for 1 it weighs about 1000lbs less than an R. Just wait awhile and when the ford gets tired you may be able to beat him since the volvo will out last his focus.
      1000lbs? The focus st is around 3300 and the s60r is around 3700 lbs....... that does not include any kind of driver mod for the focus driver or s60r if it's a manual.

If you're taking your R to a drag strip, do your self a favor and disable the AWD. Angle gears aren't really all that hard to replace, but pulling out and popping in a fuse is a whole lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by mobeus View Post
      If you're taking your R to a drag strip, do your self a favor and disable the AWD. Angle gears aren't really all that hard to replace, but pulling out and popping in a fuse is a whole lot easier.
      Or just raise the parking brake handle enough to trip the light but not pull the shoes. Deactivates the DEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2003 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - M56LK - 202k - K24/Greens/Do88 IC/SMF & P2R Clutch/DW300C/H&R/Bilstein TC/Delrin/316mm & 308mm Brakes - SteveO Tuned
      1999 V70 T5 - Pewter/R Graphite & Alcantara - AW42 - 293k - Daily/Work Wagon
      1999 V70 T5 - Nautic/R Graphite & Alcantara - M56H - 177k - Rescued
      1999 V70 T5 - Emerald/Graphite - M56H - 119k - Garage Queen
      2000 V70 T5 - Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 240k - Moms Unicorn
      2000 S70 GLT SE- Mystic/Graphite - AW42 - 215k - Sisters

whooped me when I went on the drag strip for the first time ever
      What exactly does that mean? He may have beaten you by a margin that is impossible to overtake with an R. Without knowing how much faster/quicker he was, we're just making noise on the internet by posting suggestions.
      2006 V70R MT
      Sonic Blue / Gobi

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements