XC90 windshield so fragile - Insurance
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

XC90 windshield so fragile - Insurance

Driving in NYC isn't a joke. You get so many obstacles while on the road - from environmental and climate to bonehead driving and "today-is-my-last-day-alive" hazards. Last night, I was on I-87(by Yankee Stadium) and this Formula 1 FedEx idiot trailer cut off my way to...oblivion. Stones, debris, and everything possible covering the road started flying into my windshield. I felt like, I'm in the glamorous Star Wars battle between X-Wing and TIE Fighters. And here we go...a quarter size crack on my windshield. I was so furiouusss...I was cussing out all his ancestors till I reached Manhattan beach. However, Geico got me covered, and tomorrow, I'm going to the nearest Safelite for a free repair or replacement(if necessary). Will share feedback once done.

IMG_4303.jpg
      Last edited by bunnny; 02-14-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: add photo

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Itís not just Volvo glass that has this the problem. Iíve had similar issues my 08 Chevrolet Suburban and 17 Ford Fusion. It is frustrating, especially when the car is fairly new and the insurance carrier wants to use aftermarket glass.

As a side note, I have managed to crack two side windows on my Volvos over the years, the most recent being my V90. The first was my 03 V70.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

You nee to check with Geico that they will cover OEM Glass replacement. For my mother in law s90 2017 they refuse to pay her a dime for replacement and was forcing her to get aftermarket glass which will not work well with all the cameras even safelite guy said so.Glass price was 1500$ and her deductible was 1k. They refused to pay her 500$ because they found a place that can do aftermarket glass for 960$ so they forcing you to use the place they found and if you dont they wont pay you. Thats why i moved to Travelers and much happier with them. yes they a little more $ but its worth it. I do have Corp Discount for safelite so she end up paying 1100$ for OEM glass with all taxes and they came to us.
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

I just had the side glass replaced on my V90. The ins co wanted aftermarket through Safelite. I pushed back and got OEM through the dealer. I let ins and the dealer negotiate the reimbursement.
      2018 V90 T5 R Design FWD | Crystal White / Charcoal, Full Napa Leather | 20" R Design Diamond Cut Wheels | Convenience Package | Laminated Glass | Heated Seats/Steering Wheel | Powered Load Cover | Rubber Floor Mats | Integrated Child Safety Seats

Former Volvos: 2018 V60 Dynamic, 2008 S80 3.2 (first one with adaptive cruise in US), 2006 XC90 V8, 2004 V70ASR, 2003 V70ASR (OSD and replaced by 04 due to tranny problem with valve body), 03 S80 T6 (OSD), 99 V70 and 98 V70 (twins wagons to match our new born twins), 96 850GTA wagon, 93 940 Wagon (Cloth, no sunoof), 92 240 and 90 240 DL.

As I said above, this morning I went to Safelite shop. It took me about 45min. They repaired the crack, and no replacement was necessary. Zero out of pocket. Hopefully it'll last.

Volvo for Life

I agree with pauls90 on OEM glass especially for the electronics. Safelite in my opinion is not quality glass and most manufacturers use the windshield as part of the carís safety structure. I was told by my BMW dealer that they would not accept a trade with none OEM glass.
      For a little more on your insurance, you can add the OEM glass option.Thatís what I was able to do thru Nationwide.

Safelite was able to negotiate with my insurance for an OEM replacement. Happy with the service, but damn that was an expensive windshield

Was driving home from work two weeks ago and heard what sounded like an explosion. Thought it was my tire. Turns out a bolt or something hit my windshield. Went right to dealer. Got set up with a day and State Farm covered volvo windshield. I have an 18 xc90 30k miles. I also have glass coverage with no deductible. Girl said I would have to pay any difference but it turned out to be covered. Had it done at dealer through their contracted glass guy. Safelite sucks. They replaced my wifeís Nissan windshield with after market and you could hear the wind blow thru sitting still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had four windshield replacements so far in our 2016, first one being in 2017. The last one was done by Safelite and the tech could not figure out how to reattach the mirror covers. As of 09/2019, Safelite did not have any aftermarket windshields for the XC90 with HUD so it was Volvo branded glass. I was looking forward to seeing if aftermarket options are more durable, but no luck.

I agree but I think it's true of most automakers now...

I got a small crack in my 2017 XC90 T8 windshield with less than 3,000 miles when it was hit with something small on the freeway.

Fast forward 3 years same thing happened to my 2020 XC90 T8 will less than 2,000 miles.

Geico will insist on aftermarket and try to ding you for extra for OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
      Geico will insist on aftermarket and try to ding you for extra for OEM.
      YEP
      Own:
      2018 s90 T6 AWD Inscription w/air suspension B&W Brown interior.
      2017 s60 inscription Platinum FWD
      2003 Oldsmobile Aurora.
      Had:
      2001, 2002 ,Oldsmobile Aurora.
      1998, 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Paul.

I live part time in Arizona, home of endless flying rocks. My car was insured in Minnesota, with State Farm, $0 Comprehensive deductible. I had several claims, always due to Arizona rocks. One day I got a notice from SF telling me that they were dropping my comprehensive, and that I could re-instate it at $1000 deductible. I took their deal and looked for alternatives.

I found a company that interested me. They have a local office. I went in and talked to an agent and explained my situation. She asked me how many glass claims I have had in the last three years. I think that the number I gave her was 4, could be 5. One windshield, and 3-4 repairs, each of which cost SF <$75. She told me that she would not even take my application for insurance, that I would be turned down due to excessive glass claims.

I already had a car insured by SF in Arizona, so I talked to my agent here about transferring registration to Arizona and getting the car insured here. The SF rule is that any such transfer of coverage must be a the same deductibles. BUT, there was a bluebird. Turns out that SF does not offer anything but $0 deductible on glass in Arizona. So, I changed registration and now have a policy with $1000 comprehensive deductible for everything but glass, for which the deductible is $0.

There are two things about my experience that are worth noting. First, do not accumulate glass claims! Insurance companies tend to count incidences, regardless of how small their payout is. If you get a minor rock chip/crack that is repairable, pay cash, do not submit a claim. And do not depend on your local agent to make a successful appeal if you get rated for something like this (that is almost always an Act of God, totally out of the hands of the driver, but it doesnít matter) - insurance companies these days run by the numbers and local agents have very limited flexibility.

Second, you have to understand that todayís windshield is not your grandfatherís windshield. The cost it typically upwards of $2K, by the time that the windshield is replaced and recalibrated. The insurance companies are going to get theirs, somehow. And they got me. But Iím getting them back, ha ha. I think. Sort of...

I just had to have my windshield replaced by Safelite. Did not even think to ask what they were going to install. Ended up with a Chinese part, Fuyao. Not happy about it, but its a lease and I only have it until May 2021 so I guess I will just live with it for now.

https://madico.com/dealers/automotiv...tion/clearplex

Came across this, clear windshield protection film. It may be an effective answer for some of us.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements