Underfloor storage XC90 boot
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Underfloor storage XC90 boot

Hi All,

I've got a MY17 T6, and under the boot floor is a small sloping compartment the you can store a few things in. When you lift it, you then get access to the spare wheel/tools etc. The space saver seems to be mounted at an angle.

When I'm looking at MY19/MY20 (not sure which) it seems that this extra storage space has gone. The spare is mounted flat, and there is a lot of styrofoam. The wheel is pretty much just under the boot floor.

Is the extra storage space some sort of option? If so, what is it called? Is it possible to retrofit the storage?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Looks like it was a minor design change instead of an option. My guess is that the angled spare is harder to take out than the newer design. I own a MY2018 and it also has the same angled spare design; when I remove the spare and put it back in, it catches a piece that is part of the 3rd row structure easily. Perhaps this was an improvement for the newer models. Looking at the owner's manual for a MY2020, it does appear that the spare is set up a bit higher. The extra styrofoam probably took all that angled space away.
      Denim Blue 2018 xc90 T6 Momentum+

MY2016 has no spare tire (only glue and a compressor), so I have plenty of room under the boot floor. Luckily I never had a flat tire, I probably would prefer less space and a spare tyre in that case.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PBerna View Post
      MY2016 has no spare tire (only glue and a compressor), so I have plenty of room under the boot floor. Luckily I never had a flat tire, I probably would prefer less space and a spare tyre in that case.

Is yours a T8? That's another potential difference between the T5 & T6 vs T8 on the SPA xc90, in terms of spare tire. I assume a D5 would have similar spare tire setting as T5 & T6.

Quote Originally Posted by satrya View Post
      Is yours a T8? That's another potential difference between the T5 & T6 vs T8 on the SPA xc90, in terms of spare tire. I assume a D5 would have similar spare tire setting as T5 & T6.
      No, it’s a T6. I have no idea why it is a version without the spare tyre...

In the EU, the foam/compressor is standard equipment, the spare tyre an option (no compressor then).
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

There is also a difference if you have air suspensions and not.
      Volvo XC90 T6 2018 Twilight Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by xc90_2018 View Post
      Right. It wasn't the T8 battery that made the difference in that spare tire space.

The T8 option affects the center console storage depth and a bit of 2nd row floor shape.

Quote Originally Posted by xc90_2018 View Post
      Do you mean less space with air due to the cylinders?
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      Do you mean less space with air due to the cylinders?
      Yes, exactly
      2019 XC90 T8i (OSD 2018 July)
      “Scientists study the world as it is; engineers create the world that has never been.” - Theodore von Karman

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra View Post
      In the EU, the foam/compressor is standard equipment, the spare tyre an option (no compressor then).
      I’m in Brazil, here you can have spare tyre, foam or run flat tires. I personally prefer a spare tire, we have many bad roads / bad pavement here and a bigger crack won’t be solved by foam and a compressor. Volvo probable noted that as newer models come with a spare tyre.

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk

My MY17 T6 has doesn't have air suspension, but has a space saving spare tyre.

The car I looked at must have been an MY20 D5. I wonder if they have changed the design to accommodate the mild hybrid design, and left the design the same for non-mild hybrids.

I'm guessing it reduces the boot space? The latest MY20 brochure from Australia puts the boots space at 314L with the 3rd row up. I can't find the specs written for the MY16 / MY17, but in reviews it puts it at 451L (hard to believe that tiny area is >100L).

That little spot was handy.

I’m in Brazil, here you can have spare tyre, foam or run flat tires. I personally prefer a spare tire, we have many bad roads / bad pavement here and a bigger crack won’t be solved by foam and a compressor. Volvo probable noted that as newer models come with a spare tyre.
      I had to pay for a spare tire when I ordered the car (not much since the compressor and foam is removed)
      but made the choice for the same reason(s).
      2018 XC90 T5 (5-seater)

I have MY19 T6 Inscription and i have both spare tire and the small angular storage space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've recently moved from a MY16 D5 to a MY20 T6, both with air suspensions and spare tire. It is a design change, the main difference seems to be the height of the spare tire (higher in the MY20) that effectively took up the space of the sloped compartment (that I REALLY miss); to be honest I didn't notice a difference in the "angularity" but I've had to take the wheel out only twice.
      current Dec 2019/MY20 XC90 T6 Inscription black with p*
      Past
      - July 2015/MY16 XC90 D5 Inscription amber black with p*
      - MY10 XC60 D5 AWD

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements