S60 from Michigan to California
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

S60 from Michigan to California

My neighbor has a 2008 S60 that he'd like to give to his daughter in CA. Is there any special action that needs to be taken to transfer the title over besides getting emissions tested?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      2005 S60R M66 MAGIKAP

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dyslex View Post
      My neighbor has a 2008 S60 that he'd like to give to his daughter in CA. Is there any special action that needs to be taken to transfer the title over besides getting emissions tested?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Have owner sign the title. When I took a car from California to my home state (not Michigan) having possession of title was key. I would call the Michigan Department of Motor Vehicles and ask if anything special is required to transfer car from California to Michigan. That'd be your best bet since each state varies.

Hey thanks for your response, but hes trying to have it registered IN California and wanted to know if he's able to do it without any kind of software modification from the dealer.

I told him it was unlikely that he'd need to do anything besides emission testing and inspection.

2005 S60R M66 MAGIKAP

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

As far as I know, emissions testing is all you'll need. California DMV website should have more information on what if anything else is needed, but emissions testing is for sure.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
      2004 S60 2.5T - Stock for now...

Quote Originally Posted by dyslex View Post
      Hey thanks for your response, but hes trying to have it registered IN California and wanted to know if he's able to do it without any kind of software modification from the dealer.

I told him it was unlikely that he'd need to do anything besides emission testing and inspection.

Woops I read that wrong. Reverse what I said. Have person in Michigan sign over title. Call California Department of Motor Vehicles and find out if anything else is required. If emissions testing is necessary, that'd have to be done in California to meet California guidelines.

You could get the VIN and research it with California DMV. CA DMV has a page on their website specifically for that issue:
      https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/newvehicle
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

My S60 was originally a Pennsylvania car, it needed nothing special to be registered in California. You have to go a smog station and get it tested. On a newer car like this, they just plug it into the computer through the OBD port. They’ll do a visual inspection, makes sure it has the catalytic converter, check the gas cap for proper sealing, that sort of stuff.

Then you take it to the DMV office, who will then have to look at it as well, check for all proper VIN numbers and emissions stickers, make sure it was a US market car. For both inspections I was there for under an hour, and had the car registered with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesph1 View Post
      My S60 was originally a Pennsylvania car, it needed nothing special to be registered in California.
      Thanks! That's the sort of first-hand I was looking for. Appreciate it

2005 S60R M66 MAGIKAP

Quote Originally Posted by mylesph1 View Post
      My S60 was originally a Pennsylvania car, it needed nothing special to be registered in California. You have to go a smog station and get it tested. On a newer car like this, they just plug it into the computer through the OBD port. They’ll do a visual inspection, makes sure it has the catalytic converter, check the gas cap for proper sealing, that sort of stuff.

Then you take it to the DMV office, who will then have to look at it as well, check for all proper VIN numbers and emissions stickers, make sure it was a US market car. For both inspections I was there for under an hour, and had the car registered with no issues.
      Is it also a 2008?
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Quote Originally Posted by Capndirk View Post
      Is it also a 2008?
      Mine is a 2007.

I should add, there is an exception. The only way you could have an issue with registering a car from out of state that is considered “49-state compliant”, but not California compliant, would be if the car has less than 7,500 miles. I’m assuming the car in question has more than that. If not, drive it around the country the long way first
      Last edited by mylesph1; 02-17-2020 at 05:38 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements