Inside Rear View Mirror has gone dark (2008 V70)
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Inside Rear View Mirror has gone dark (2008 V70)

Hi there,
      Just purchased a 2008 V70. My inside rear view mirror is very, very dark at all times. The compass feature is working however, so it must be correctly connected.

Is replacing the mirror my solution, and if so, what years/models share the same mirror?

Thanks,
      Bruce
      Grand Rapids, MI

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There's a light sensor in the mirror housing, facing the windshield. Check it out to make sure there's nothing blocking it.
      '11 V70 D5 AWD R-Design w. Polestar upgrade
      '98 S70 GLT
      '85 245 Turbo

Thanks. I'll check that out.

5. Remove Advertisements
      SwedeSpeed.com
      Advertisements

Nothing blocking the opening for the light sensor.
      Front of the mirror is showing some discoloration. Is it possible to just replace the mirror itself and not the entire assembly?

At least in P2 models, the autodim feature was faulty over time, and mine are stuck in dark mode. Great for night with newer SUVs and trucks behind me that have aircraft bulbs!
      They are often keyed to the car so if you replace the unit it will throw codes. Not sure about P3 though (you).
      edit: Seems like it could be the same issue across the P3 line too.
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ight=P3+mirror

Quote Originally Posted by bwright002 View Post
      Nothing blocking the opening for the light sensor.
      Front of the mirror is showing some discoloration. Is it possible to just replace the mirror itself and not the entire assembly?
      Last edited by ZZZZZZZ; 02-19-2020 at 07:02 AM.
      "The Real IPD" - ZZZZZZZ's thread
      2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Installed autodim mirror in my '11 V70 an my parents '15 V60, no coding or programming required. Programming is only necessary if you're installing a mirror with compass, and then only for the compass. Autodim will work anyway.

The P2 mirror also works as a sensor and alarm system unit, that's the reason for it requiring coding to a specific vehicle. P3 mirror is just a mirror, nothing more.

If you swap the faulty mirror for another with the same part number everything will work just fine.
      Last edited by Marcus_J; 02-20-2020 at 04:22 AM.
      '98 S70 GLT
      '85 245 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_J View Post
      Installed autodim mirror in my '11 V70 an my parents '15 V60, no coding or programming required. Programming is only necessary if you're installing a mirror with compass, and then only for the compass. Autodim will work anyway.

The P2 mirror also works as a sensor and alarm system unit, that's the reason for it requiring coding to a specific vehicle. P3 mirror is just a mirror, nothing more.

If you swap the faulty mirror for another with the same part number everything will work just fine.

You don't even need software for compass ones either, so not sure why they even have that software for download

Source: Myself, I had a manual old style one before, now I have a frameless one with compass. Wiring is already in place on all(*) V70.

(*): That I know of, haven't seen one without yet.
      Volvo (of course) V70 2009/2016, 2.5FT+

Quote Originally Posted by Steffe View Post
      You don't even need software for compass ones either, so not sure why they even have that software for download

Source: Myself, I had a manual old style one before, now I have a frameless one with compass. Wiring is already in place on all(*) V70.

(*): That I know of, haven't seen one without yet.
      Might be different on later models with Sensus? Couldn't make the compass in my parents V60 work, but autodim worked pnp. Turned the compass off with the small button in the housing, the green display was distracting.
      '98 S70 GLT
      '85 245 Turbo

Might be different on later models with Sensus? Couldn't make the compass in my parents V60 work, but autodim worked pnp. Turned the compass off with the small button in the housing, the green display was distracting.
      Ah, yeah. I had V70 in mind (since it's that section we're in). Can't say for V60, don't have that much experience with those (yet, eyeing them as a possible next car).
      Volvo (of course) V70 2009/2016, 2.5FT+

Good information to know! Thanks.

2007 Passion Red/Gobi VRgt; 2005 Silver/Beige Leather S60 2.5T AWD; 2002 Silver/Off black leather V70XC
      Past: 1999 Tropic Blue/Green/Oak leather V70 (NAa); Mom traded 1975 Maroon/Maroon leather 164E

Checked with my Volvo Master mechanic. According to him, changing or replacing the rear view mirror on the 08 V70's will require software updating by the dealer. Replacing it without the software would kill the ability to use the sunroof and very possibly affect the correct operation of the doors. Based on that, I'll just learn to live with it. The good news is that I won't get blinded by high beams in the rear view.

Check out this thread on mirror repair:
      https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ar-view-mirror

There's a link on there for a repair service, but it's not quite right. Try THIS
      2009 XC90 FWD 3.2, 2013 S60 T5
      In the past: '89 745, '91 940, '82 242, '67 122S, '67 123GT, '71 142E, '62 PV544.

Checked with my Volvo Master mechanic. According to him, changing or replacing the rear view mirror on the 08 V70's will require software updating by the dealer. Replacing it without the software would kill the ability to use the sunroof and very possibly affect the correct operation of the doors. Based on that, I'll just learn to live with it. The good news is that I won't get blinded by high beams in the rear view.
      Find a new mechanic...

There's no interaction between the inside rear view mirror and the sunroof and/or doors. On the P2-cars the mirror housing also contained sensors and control module for the alarm and central locking system making the mirror notoriously expensive and tricky to change, but on the P3-cars it's just a mirror.

It's not witchcraft, and the master mechanic is no wizard. Though they very much want you to think so...
      Last edited by Marcus_J; 02-29-2020 at 08:20 AM.
      '98 S70 GLT
      '85 245 Turbo

Thanks very much Marcus. Appreciate your follow up on this thread.

Glad they finally fixed that in p3 and hopefully forward. Ridiculous to have all that tied together.
      Find a new mechanic...

There's no interaction between the inside rear view mirror and the sunroof and/or doors. On the P2-cars the mirror housing also contained sensors and control module for the alarm and central locking system making the mirror notoriously expensive and tricky to change, but on the P3-cars it's just a mirror.

It's not witchcraft, and the master mechanic is no wizard. Though they very much want you to think so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks very much Marcus. Appreciate your follow up on this thread.
      My pleasure.
      Good luck with that mirror. Hopefully you'll get hold of a good second hand part.
      '98 S70 GLT
      '85 245 Turbo

19. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements