SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Aftermarket amplifier & subwoofer

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  M3FSQ 
#1 ·
I recently bought my 2010 Volvo XC90 and am wondering if it's possible to easily connect an amp and sub that I have lying around from a previous vehicle. Searching through many of the threads here I haven't found a straightforward explanation yet. is it possible to use the factory head unit? Is there a step-by-step anywhere of someone else's similar install?

The amplifier is a Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1 and subwoofer is a Rockford Fosgate 12" P3. Thank you.

#7 ·
I tapped into the left and right D pillar tweeters.
This video was a great help:

#8 ·
The LC2i has GTO. Click and read the "details" tab on the Crutchfield page.

#9 ·
BACKGROUND: I recently bought this car. The sunroof had been leaking through the drain tubes into floor area underneath the passenger seat. I sucked out over 3 gallons of water out of the basin below the passenger seat. It was after my audio system started tripping out that I noticed the water sloshing underneath the seat. I've since repaired the drain tubes, and aired out the area underneath the seat. The audio system is back working again after the wires/factory amplifier aired out. That said. I just noticed that my left rear door and left rear (pillar) tweeter do not play any audio. The rear right tweeter sounds soft and pitchy to me. It could just be the difference in left/right song notes that is making it sound pitchy like it is almost in and out?? I switched the rear left tweeter into the rear right slot and it works fine, so something must be wrong with the wiring or factory amplifier to the rear left side of the vehicle? Front speakers work fine.

OK, so I'm having some problems when trying to set up the aftermarket amplifier and subwoofer...

I tapped into the right rear pillar tweeter for the LOC(the same tweeter that I'm not sure if it has a perfect signal??). I tapped into the rear 12v wire for the REM.

My amplifier is ON, even when the car is turned off, no key, locked. So REM connection is not turning on/off.

The subwoofer is playing/moving but at an extremely low level, even after amplifier controls are turned to max output.

I noticed that when I bang the rear left passenger door with my hand, the subwoofer plays bass (without music playing) pretty loud(much much louder than it is from music), reacting directly to whatever signal the pounding sends to it. I'm guessing this is something obvious to someone who knows what they're doing more than I do.

#10 ·
I had similar issue. Was initially disappointed with the subwoofer output. Turns out my connections were bad. Go back and verify both positive and negative from each side are connected properly and you have continuity to the amp.

I had one connection each side broken. When I discovered it, and reconnected, the sub was over driven, had to turn the amp back down.

What LOC are you using?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.